The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-10 22:22:35

Watergypsy

Heater blower

My heater blower packed up on sunday! perfect timing for the cold spell in next few days neutral
Stripped it out today and the motor actually works fine with direct feed bypassing resisistors and speed controller so got one of these on order http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201629145811? … BIDX%3AITr
Hopefully will work anybody experienced this fault here? seems to be a common one

Be kind to strangers, you may become one some day

#2 2017-01-10 23:54:54

Casper

Re: Heater blower

Mine worked fine on low and high. Between was a hit and a miss. Changed the dash slider and it was fine for a couple of weeks and back to a hit n miss. Left it as after that as i could not be arsed with the strip down smile

#3 2017-01-11 00:18:12

Watergypsy

This was hit and miss since I owned it too, I realized if I don't touch the speed control and leave it at 3/4 it keeps going.
Of course I overlooked giving my f@cking brother a lift home from the pub and him wacking it up to full after a few beers big_smile
This was nearly the last straw for this old van and like you couldn't be arsed to fix it but old good vans are hard to find so give the old gal one  last breath

Last edited by Watergypsy (2017-01-11 00:19:15)

#4 2017-01-11 01:16:20

Casper

Watergypsy wrote:

This was hit and miss since I owned it too, I realized if I don't touch the speed control and leave it at 3/4 it keeps going.
Of course I overlooked giving my f@cking brother a lift home from the pub and him wacking it up to full after a few beers big_smile
This was nearly the last straw for this old van and like you couldn't be arsed to fix it but old good vans are hard to find so give the old gal one  last breath

How many volts is a Scalextric car? If 12 volts you could use a speed control gun as the speed control  big_smile Just take out the trigger return switch and all you need is on off power from the fan. Thats the jock talking or is it drink? Hmm

#5 2017-01-11 21:58:31

Watergypsy

Casper wrote:
Watergypsy wrote:

How many volts is a Scalextric car? If 12 volts you could use a speed control gun as the speed control  big_smile Just take out the trigger return switch and all you need is on off power from the fan. Thats the jock talking or is it drink? Hmm

LoL I like your way of thinking but unfortunately the fan motor draws a lot of amps so need  a speed controller up to the job, theres every chance this one won't last long, time will tell I suppose

#6 2020-01-14 23:08:08

unter
Website

well the blower fan/motor is easy to remove, its under the glovebox, a cylinder shape, the motor magnets wear or get jammed.  its not brushless.

monkey vano

#7 2020-01-18 12:56:50

Rabnudj

take a look under the passenger side dash, you will see the blower unit and there is a connection on the underside of it. mine over heated at this connection and the connection broke down. I totally removed the plastic connector block and connectors. Soldered on standard spade type and all was well

#8 2020-01-18 14:16:41

MRE

Hi guys, my first post.
I've started noting down any work i've done to my van so i can remember for next time (I'm no professional mechanic)
I removed the blower the other day, hope it helps...... https://thefixinglibrary.blogspot.com/2 … r-fan.html
Got some more stuff to add to the blog, hope it'll help folk. smile

#9 2020-01-18 22:00:55

Zippypilot

I had recently the same problem, intermittent working of the fan blower (the fan is very squeaky every now and then) which would just shut down on any setting of the slider and then come back. last week it packed up totally. Today looking through these posts I thought I would try to remove the fan its self, thinking the squeaking sound means it needs replacing and is the fault for stopping working, so looking behind the glove box to see what tools I needed for the job, there was a green relay hanging down out of its mount, reattached it and pushed the relay to make sure it was still connected. .   started the van to drive to my workshop and the bast*rd started working! I had no idea this relay was anything to do with the system, checking through it is! I would suggest changing this relay before doing anything else as cheap starter diagnosis elimination before pulling everything apart!. The fan now works from off and all through the full range of the slider. Hope this helps.

PS the relay is to the bottom right of the fuse box behind the glove box

Last edited by Zippypilot (2020-02-16 19:25:12)

#10 2020-01-18 22:19:09

Zippypilot

MRE wrote:

Hi guys, my first post.
I've started noting down any work i've done to my van so i can remember for next time (I'm no professional mechanic)
I removed the blower the other day, hope it helps...... https://thefixinglibrary.blogspot.com/2 … r-fan.html

Hi MRE, this post is what prompted me to have a go changing the fan. Great work on the link you provided, exactly what people need as there are no manuals for the Dispatch as far as I know! Thanks for posting it.

#11 2020-01-19 13:34:28

Tiree
Administrator

MRE wrote:

Hi guys, my first post.

Welcome .. and wow! - great work MRE.

Zippypilot wrote:

started the van to drive to my workshop and the bast*rd started working!

This reminds me of when, after a year or so of not working at all, my fan came on suddenly at full blast while driving through Glasgow and I got showered with with debris and dead flies!

Had to pull over and sort it out. What a mess!

I did eventually take the blower out and replaced the resistor. Such a joy to have warm air on tap again!

2006 Citroen Dispatch 2.0HDi bought in July 2013 - Partial camper conversion ........

DSC_0360-1.jpg

#12 2020-01-21 20:29:49

Zippypilot

Tiree wrote:
MRE wrote:

Hi guys, my first post.

Welcome .. and wow! - great work MRE.

Zippypilot wrote:

started the van to drive to my workshop and the bast*rd started working!

This reminds me of when, after a year or so of not working at all, my fan came on suddenly at full blast while driving through Glasgow and I got showered with with debris and dead flies!

Had to pull over and sort it out. What a mess!

I did eventually take the blower out and replaced the resistor. Such a joy to have warm air on tap again!

I hate to think whats in mine when I take it out for (hopefully a quick lube of the bearings) sounds like minced mice!

#13 2021-07-16 00:35:39

Stu-D
Website

MRE wrote:

Hi guys, my first post.

Many thanks for this post buddy, I'm currently in the middle of no where and I need to take mines out as the fan stopped working, I went to start the van, 10 minutes after it had been working fine and it just stopped, I found a 20amp fuse which appears to have been part of the cig lighter circuit that had popped, but all other fuses look OK, yet the fan/blower no longer works and my battery light is staying on, I think the laternator is still charging although my split relay has not come on with the engine running... sods law I bugger off in the van and this happens, only thing I don't have with me is a multimeter lol.

Thankfully I'm running off my leisure battery for the moment and I can remote in to the PC at home and get on here, I've got another heavy duty vito battery I can bodge in to place tomorrow if it turns out the alternator is toast, fun fun! - I also forgot to take out a new breakdown policy, Lol.

-Stu

#14 2022-01-10 22:04:51

Norway man

I'm reading this thread with great interest, as I have a blower issue as well. Will the fan be totally dead if the resistor fails? On many cars the blower will still run on full speed when the resistor fails, but not on the lower settings.

Owns and repairs Fiat Scudo, Citroen Jumpy and NSU Prinz. Plays the harmonica and sing. Belive in Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour. cool

#15 2022-03-03 12:33:56

Stu-D
Website

Norway man wrote:

I'm reading this thread with great interest, as I have a blower issue as well. Will the fan be totally dead if the resistor fails? On many cars the blower will still run on full speed when the resistor fails, but not on the lower settings.

I forgot all about this post, sorry mate, getting old! lol - It turned out the alternator had blown, while it had not killed any fuses/relays it possibly caused a surge on the heating circuit, after changing alternator for a 2.0 higher ampage one I still had no fans, I ended up stripping the slider/heat etc selector down and cleaning all the contacts, put back together and still no fan, started poking about in the fuse box with the relays on passenger side, found many of the contacts on the relays had corrosion, cleaned all those, fuses all OK.. put ignition on and fan has worked since lol! bloody thing. smile

-Stu

Last edited by Stu-D (2022-03-03 12:35:20)

#16 2022-03-04 17:47:52

JohnDragonMan
Website

Norway man wrote:

on our vans, if the resistor fails the blower does not work on any speed. thankfully they are not overly hard to replace!

- JohnDragonMan
Notice: I have the tendency to void warranties, blow fuses, cause fires, and other fun stuff.
Words of wisdom: Internally rust proof the sills and subframe! both skins!!. There's always user serviceable parts inside. "Oh that shouldn't have happened".
My 2005 Dispatch Camper Project big_smile

#17 2022-09-05 16:47:36

Bo_Larsson

Hi guys!
I'm new here, I have an Expert 2006.

I read this post since I also have problem with my heater blower.
Some days it work, but mostly not.

I wonder what side in the compartment the fan is located?
If I sitting in the car I have left side steering.

regards
/ Bo

Last edited by Bo_Larsson (2022-09-05 17:13:32)

#18 2022-09-06 01:05:40

OAT

Hello and welcome.

I assume it would be in the right footwell. 

It's tricky to get at upside down, with your nose against the blower.  Also watch for sharp edge brackets out of sight under there.
Even when the bolts, 3 I think, are out, it's still a pain to remove.

#19 2022-09-06 08:05:46

Bo_Larsson

Thank you very much!

I'll check it out.

#20 2022-10-26 16:41:54

AlvyLad

Stu-D wrote:
Norway man wrote:

I forgot all about this post, sorry mate, getting old! lol - It turned out the alternator had blown, while it had not killed any fuses/relays it possibly caused a surge on the heating circuit, after changing alternator for a 2.0 higher ampage one I still had no fans, I ended up stripping the slider/heat etc selector down and cleaning all the contacts, put back together and still no fan, started poking about in the fuse box with the relays on passenger side, found many of the contacts on the relays had corrosion, cleaned all those, fuses all OK.. put ignition on and fan has worked since lol! bloody thing. smile

-Stu

Whoo-ho!
Another thing to look at then  wink  was having a nightmare, due to ownself having hands, but both are left, so kept going to all sorts of mechanics changing things with no joy.. (just back off of a phone to another one, who doesn't want to deal with it TBH), that's after a visit to a ST'ealer, who mentioned most likely some sort of relays to be to blame  roll

So that's now what I'll be looking at next.. or I'll be saying to old'er mechanic to look at

#21 2022-11-16 14:34:35

AlvyLad

AlvyLad wrote:
Stu-D wrote:
Norway man wrote:

-Stu

Whoo-ho!
Another thing to look at then  wink  was having a nightmare, due to ownself having hands, but both are left, so kept going to all sorts of mechanics changing things with no joy.. (just back off of a phone to another one, who doesn't want to deal with it TBH), that's after a visit to a ST'ealer, who mentioned most likely some sort of relays to be to blame  roll

So that's now what I'll be looking at next.. or I'll be saying to old'er mechanic to look at

Recalling what was said by the decent stealer, that he needs to have it booked to investigate, as it could've been anything including RELAYS.. he wasn't wrong, my thinking of support for local trade and fear of stealers wasn't the best call.
Copy/pasta from the other thread
https://dispatchexpertscudo.org.uk/foru … 168#p12168

AlvyLad wrote:
(part n.: 655533 ),
IF that'll be it or whatever else. I'll keep you posted!

Relay replaced, but it wasn't it

Actual Fan with RESISTOR replaced (x3'rd one that actually fitted)
Dash lift up, investigations x4 off (some wires stripped etc- unsightly down there)
Relay replaced-
NOPE!

Turns out, once resistor goes "funny" it does burn connectors and wiring, what was said by the good mechanic (although operates well far away from me these days) ~ 3 years ago
The other two instances of investigation/repair was a bit of time waste

the FIX (to my van) was wires melted behind fuse box (re'isolated). Indeed, some might end having some contacts or wiring burning, once resistor goes KAPUT in variety of places.

Not going to list out who did what (right or wrong), just going to say, that including the last striping down and isolating melted wiring was £90 and in total all the messing about ("work") + parts costed me well over £300, that even for these parts of the country is rather steep

ANW, onwards and upwards cool

#22 2023-02-10 19:40:37

WHITE VAN ANDY

Hi all got a blower problem on my 04 Expert. Blower stopped working but I have power to the motor. Have removed circuit board and cleaned the slider contacts to no avail. Any ideas

#23 2023-02-10 20:23:27

OAT

You may have noticed from the above that blower problems are among the most common and annoying on these vehicles.

You would think then that we might have arrived at a common, instant fix.  Unfortunately not.

Apart from the rubbish slider controls the next most common suspect is the resistor mounted on the blower itself.  But even replacing that has not been a resolution in all cases.  I can't remember the details but if you read through past posts on heater problems you should find something on diagnosing the resistor.

If you do need to go for a replacement resistor you might even find a complete new blower for a similar price on ebay.  I went for a new unit as mine was also sounding like the bearing was on it's way out.

Last edited by OAT (2023-02-10 20:23:56)

#24 2023-02-10 20:56:11

AlvyLad

OAT wrote:

You may have noticed from the above that blower problems are among the most common and annoying on these vehicles.

You would think then that we might have arrived at a common, instant fix.  Unfortunately not.

Apart from the rubbish slider controls the next most common suspect is the resistor mounted on the blower itself.  But even replacing that has not been a resolution in all cases.  I can't remember the details but if you read through past posts on heater problems you should find something on diagnosing the resistor.

If you do need to go for a replacement resistor you might even find a complete new blower for a similar price on ebay.  I went for a new unit as mine was also sounding like the bearing was on it's way out.

Even replacing the blower motor (w resistor) doesn't necessarily mean it is solved (as happened in my case), down to the resistor going "funny" it typically melts anything it can before fuse would go... wiring, sliders, relays etc, etc

#25 2023-02-10 21:53:42

WHITE VAN ANDY

I had the blower re-brushed a year or so ago and my memory lets me down but am I right in thinking that the power goes to the motor via the resistor? Hence although I’ve got power going to the unit doesn’t mean it’s reaching the motor?

Board footer