The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-16 17:19:58

Jamiesmack

Big puffs of blue smoke

Hi all,

Perhaps you can shed some light onto this for me. My 1.6 scudo has been smoking a little for a while, but the last few days, I’ve had big clouds of blue smoke when accelerating, and I think there is smoke visible when driving along, but can’t say 100%.

I know this is usually because of burning oil or something? Just thought I’d see if anyone had had similar.

I have also got a slight oil leak somewhere, but doesn’t seem to use much oil. I also randomly lost a lot of coolant the other day ( I only realised as the fan kicked in as I was going down the road) but have topped up and seems to have held the level

Oh yeh mileage is high - 140,000

#2 2017-11-16 19:57:55

SteveP

Re: Big puffs of blue smoke

As you say blue smoke is generally oil burning, black smoke is fuel white smoke is water. I would suspect damaged piston rings if you are getting blue smoke - you could do a compression test on the engine. 140,000 isnt that high on these engines I have read.

#3 2017-11-20 00:09:03

vaz2121

Re: Big puffs of blue smoke

Jamiesmack wrote:

Hi all,

Perhaps you can shed some light onto this for me. My 1.6 scudo has been smoking a little for a while, but the last few days, I’ve had big clouds of blue smoke when accelerating, and I think there is smoke visible when driving along, but can’t say 100%.

I know this is usually because of burning oil or something? Just thought I’d see if anyone had had similar.

I have also got a slight oil leak somewhere, but doesn’t seem to use much oil. I also randomly lost a lot of coolant the other day ( I only realised as the fan kicked in as I was going down the road) but have topped up and seems to have held the level

Oh yeh mileage is high - 140,000

I really don't think 140,000 is high mls for a diesel as our little 306 is (although not front line....I.E. in semi retirement) over 205,000Mls... uses no water or oil between services......

Sounds to me like the tell-tale signs.... a head gasket or well on its way and is already allowing some losses

When up to temp after a bit of a run ...... has radiator top hose gone really hard?....... when allowed to cool ( hr or so later not next morn) and then opening radiator cap is there an escape of a reasonable amount of pressure?

I'm assuming you don't have the water in oil or vice versa showing.... a little oil escaping into the bores can make a lot of smoke and a little loss in compression can make a lot of  blue diesel ey smoke too
And you also have the option on your van i'd say to stick it on a scanner to see if any sensors have gone awol

Other thoughts.....Turbo seal on it's way?.........but that I'm sure would use a noticeable amount of oil

Board footer