The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#26 2016-04-04 20:03:40

Dolomite

Re: Peugeot Expert WAV Conversion

There will be a little more strutting on the base part, but it feels pretty good as it is. Like I say a few tweets req'd...

#27 2016-04-04 20:34:28

Casper

Dolomite wrote:

There will be a little more strutting on the base part, but it feels pretty good as it is. Like I say a few tweets req'd...

How wide is yours? My bed is for two and i cut the wood today as 42" and wondering if enough now. I dont want it to take up to much space as i would like to put a unit on the  O/S wall.

#28 2016-04-04 20:43:57

Dolomite

It's 1090 (43) but my wheelchair trough kinda dictated that. I'm putting a unit on the passenger side. I think it'll be enough - seems quite common - even in bigger vans. There is a bit of space either end of the van central strut - no platform, but space for limbs

#29 2016-04-04 20:57:27

Casper

Dolomite wrote:

It's 1090 (43) but my wheelchair trough kinda dictated that. I'm putting a unit on the passenger side. I think it'll be enough - seems quite common - even in bigger vans. There is a bit of space either end of the van central strut - no platform, but space for limbs

I am having mine tight to the N/S wall and slight leg space in sliding door on same side and between seats so lifting bed may be fun with the dog in the van. I am thinking of using a bathroom cabinet on the N/S wall also as they are about 12-16 cm deep so should not batter my heed off it. That will be the dog food and pot noodle storage. Yet to find a unit for the other side but until i have the bed in i am not 100% sure how deep i can go. Got a job this week where i need the van to cant put bed in yet as it will be bolted through the floor. (No going back after that) Another waste of space is above your head when in the front. I have crap in that shelve but cant say i have used it for anything necessary to driving. That is getting extended back to the seat belts and a nice door over the front. Still plenty head room and i am 6'2".

#30 2016-04-04 21:05:38

Dolomite

I have made mine so that the whole platform and front uprights can be unbolted when necessary With only 4 bolts. Just for sake of mpg and space!

#31 2016-04-04 22:08:10

monkeynut

my front platforms hang by cords when pulled out   they only slide out for sleeping though

#32 2016-04-05 00:04:24

vaz2121

Casper wrote:
Dolomite wrote:

How wide is yours? My bed is for two and i cut the wood today as 42" and wondering if enough now. I dont want it to take up to much space as i would like to put a unit on the  O/S wall.

Don't know if this is of any use... When an acquaintance of mine fitted out his van, although not as a camper he did often sleep in it when away fishing.......What he used for storage was old kitchen wall units which were only about 10/12 inch deep..... This was long before I thought of a camper, We did question there robustness when he first fitted them..... they did get beat up quite a bit (self employed Plumber) however stood the pace well considering.

#33 2016-05-12 16:17:20

Tiree
Administrator

tee_cee wrote:

My conversion was an Expert WAV also. I did a bit of a build log, mainly to remind myself what I did and where I sourced the bits.
The website is http://blue-van.blogspot.co.uk/ you might get a few ideas from it.

tee_cee - can I ask what kind of results you got with the flexible 100w solar panel?

2006 Citroen Dispatch 2.0HDi bought in July 2013 - Partial camper conversion ........

DSC_0360-1.jpg

#34 2016-05-13 10:49:26

tee_cee

Have been meaning to update the build log with the winters work, but here's the short story
Mixed results. I didn't seem to be getting the full 100W, rather half that @3A in full summer sun - but I suspect that this is a measurement problem with my meter, which after mods was showing 4A in yesterdays sun.
The panel is mainly used to power the fridge, however once the battery dropped below 12V, it would stop working due to the voltage drop at startup. So that meant it would only work for 2 nights using about 25% of the battery capacity.  Increasing the wire size and providing a local ground will hopefully fix that and allow me to use 50% of the battery.
However the main issue, that none of the manufacturers will tell you about, is that any kind of shadow on the panel will kill your output voltage. So on my panel covering an area as small as 5cm x 5cm, will stop the battery charging. So with the roofbox in place, and the panel on the rear of the roof, its almost impossible to get a full days charge. So for this year I've moved the panel to the roofbox.

After saying all that, although it was not as good as I had hoped, it was great to be able to park up and go out all day without having to worry about what might be happening with the fridge. On other thing was that we went away for 10weeks over the winter, and left the van outside - with the battery connected. Since the solar controller also trickle charges the main battery, the van started instantly when we returned.

#35 2016-06-07 17:13:54

Dolomite

Some more pics of the build - Im a bit further than this now and only really need to do the corner cupboard. more pics to come...

IMG_0350.jpeg
IMG_0352.jpegIMG_0356.jpegIMG_0357.jpeg

#36 2016-06-07 22:48:20

vaz2121

I've seen this somewhere and really liking the style and use of wine cases....... will you be using some Wax or oil or just leave wood as is
Is the unit quite heavy or is looks deceptive ?

#37 2016-06-08 06:56:38

Dolomite

Its in the links on here somwhere - theres 2 that are similar designs to each other, thats where I got the idea from.

Havnt thought about treating yet - It's possible, but i like the raw wood.

It is probably heavier than it needs to be but the pine (from an old ikea shelving unit) is very lightweight, and the cases arn't bad either. the base thats bolted to the floor is the heaviest part as its 18mm ply

#38 2016-06-08 09:18:25

Casper

Why chose that side to block with the units or do you intend on using this more in Europe than the UK? Looking nice

#39 2016-06-08 09:57:37

Dolomite

The interior had elements that allow more bed space having it this way round. Also the units are where the 1 rear passenger seat was bolted in, therefore I re-used the boltholes for the base.

Thanks

#40 2016-06-08 12:13:42

tee_cee

That was my thinking also - the fuel tank filler takes up a bit of room on the passenger side and the extra room on the other side effectively gives 100mm extra armroom in bed.
Over time the way we use the van has changed, and we find that we only ever turn the drivers seat. That being the case I'd say that putting the units right up to the back of the drivers seat would have been a better option, since the passenger seat can be pushed back further when turned. Would have given the missus a bit more legroom too  smile

#41 2016-06-08 15:22:38

Dolomite

tee_cee wrote:

That was my thinking also - the fuel tank filler takes up a bit of room on the passenger side and the extra room on the other side effectively gives 100mm extra armroom in bed.
Over time the way we use the van has changed, and we find that we only ever turn the drivers seat. That being the case I'd say that putting the units right up to the back of the drivers seat would have been a better option, since the passenger seat can be pushed back further when turned. Would have given the missus a bit more legroom too  smile

This was my thinking - I am going to have a leaf table style square of worktop on the end (behind the passenger seat) that can fold down and under that is where the coolbox will live - so if I don't use it I haven't wasted storage room and if I do we can rejig things if we need to accomodate 4 people sitting...

#42 2016-06-08 16:59:32

vaz2121

Dolomite wrote:

Its in the links on here somwhere - theres 2 that are similar designs to each other, thats where I got the idea from.

Havnt thought about treating yet - It's possible, but i like the raw wood.

It is probably heavier than it needs to be but the pine (from an old ikea shelving unit) is very lightweight, and the cases arn't bad either. the base thats bolted to the floor is the heaviest part as its 18mm ply

I'm really liking the look and the items used, Raw wood might attract some unsightly staining from spills, coffee etc. and the likes over time(but agree on the natural look rather than paint or varnishing)...... It does look chunky and robust hence my question of weight as maybe it's because my vans non turbo.... There are occasions I notice the extra weight on board (surprising how quick an extra kg here and there mounts up)  and this is before loading up with the usual ....(I'm told ) Away from home necessities !

#43 2016-06-19 16:39:16

Dolomite

I keep forgetting to take pictures but here's the van as it is today. Just built the basic shelf unit at the back left.

image_20160619-1631.jpegimage_20160619-1635.jpegimage_20160619-1633.jpegimage_20160619-1632.jpegimage_20160619-1634.jpegimage_20160619-1638.jpeg

#44 2016-06-20 05:32:09

vaz2121

That's looking like you could be done or very nearly and ready for the off or have you already  had the maiden camp.
what make is your fridge/cooler and do you find it effective enough........ I dumped ours back to the shed and we use a couple smaller insulated coolbags for stuff bought fresh/daily and found them to be more convenient and about as effective .....

Last edited by vaz2121 (2016-06-20 05:33:36)

#45 2016-06-20 08:01:41

Dolomite

vaz2121 wrote:

That's looking like you could be done or very nearly and ready for the off or have you already  had the maiden camp.
what make is your fridge/cooler and do you find it effective enough........ I dumped ours back to the shed and we use a couple smaller insulated coolbags for stuff bought fresh/daily and found them to be more convenient and about as effective .....

Not fully tested yet - maybe next weekend to ingleton on if weather permits.

The cooler is halfords own brand (I had £35 of shopping vouchers from a survey I did so was limited)

I have considered that I may not have use for the coolbox but I factored the space in when building, so might as well give it a go! But am planning on buying ice rather then relying on the 12v thing.

#46 2016-06-20 10:07:40

vaz2121

Dolomite wrote:

Not fully tested yet - maybe next weekend to ingleton on if weather permits.

The cooler is halfords own brand (I had £35 of shopping vouchers from a survey I did so was limited)

I have considered that I may not have use for the coolbox but I factored the space in when building, so might as well give it a go! But am planning on buying ice rather then relying on the 12v thing.

Ingelton...I'll take a punt and ask .....Is that on the Kendal, Crooklands , Settle, Skipton road....... I only ask as Ive driven it a couple times and the guy we bought van from went in that region with the van regularly I believe (Yorkshire Dales)............Been to and camped in Hawes couple times on bike......I'd like to try that area little more with van myself

Our cooler is a Halfords also, But will be a good few years older (2005 bought I think) than yours, So should be an improvement over mine.....

Like you I put ice blocks in and don't get me wrong brilliant at the cool thing and doing its job on daytrips......However by the 3rd day camping it was starting to struggle but then kids never out of it looking for juice or whatever....... fast forward a year or ten...

We found the cooler Ok..... On long W/ends in van with ice blocks .... kept milk , butter, pkts cooked ham etc cool but come Sunday not a great deal lower than ambient temp
But anything over 3rd day away it just got in the way, Was to big to fit under bed
If I could have I would have stashed it in roof box over night but no power.....and BTW It has flattened the leisure battery over night............

So we decided a couple of well insulated bags and use premixed coffee sachets so no need for milk and buy cooked ham and the likes as we go along which is already chilled and at most is overnight in coolbag....only thing is butter but we use the block of butter that goes rock hard in fridge, but put it in a spreadable tub and lasts OK for most of week and by then its used

Not Ideal,  but works so far for us.

This what we did previous when touring on the bikes and also on running down to Spain in the car to visit my partners father as we just didn't have the space in car and discounted the cooler from the start

{Also To quantify that during the day we hadn't always got spare capacity on front power points to have/keep the cooler powered up ...... when engine is running leisure battery is isolated while charging and hence no power output from rear points}

Last edited by vaz2121 (2016-06-20 10:37:05)

#47 2016-06-20 10:25:45

Dolomite

Cheers - Yeah its on there somewhere! about 45 mins from us I think. they have some nice caves and a waterfall and hopefully a few good pubs! I've never been to Hawes, but if your a biker then have you been to devils bridge in Kirby Lonsdale? Thats just up from settle and teeming with bikers on a nice Sunday...

Thanks for advice on cooler, we will just have to see how it goes. I like it that it has a place and is a box! but if it becomes more effort than its worth We'll just have to change our thinking, surely it is a better insulator than a coolbag?

I kinda imagine things get more "strewn" with bags! they certainly would with me anyway...

#48 2016-06-20 11:48:52

vaz2121

Dolomite wrote:

Cheers - Yeah its on there somewhere! about 45 mins from us I think. they have some nice caves and a waterfall and hopefully a few good pubs! I've never been to Hawes, but if your a biker then have you been to devils bridge in Kirby Lonsdale? Thats just up from settle and teeming with bikers on a nice Sunday...

Thanks for advice on cooler, we will just have to see how it goes. I like it that it has a place and is a box! but if it becomes more effort than its worth We'll just have to change our thinking, surely it is a better insulator than a coolbag?

I kinda imagine things get more "strewn" with bags! they certainly would with me anyway...

I hang my head in shame Ive only been to Devils bridge once many many moons ago and the same with the Butter tubs pass (maybe that's not a Rd for the van)...... I/we tend to head north a lot but to redeem myself...Done the Gothland (Heartbeat) thing a few times as well as Whitby, Pickering,.... not so keen on Scarborough though.......

The coolbox is bound to be more efficient than a coolbag so long as it's fairly full of cool stuff, so there's thermal mass and not letting lots of hot air in every time it's opened

Yes, Things can get "strewn" with bags and I guess it does but It's what space you've got and how much tend to let it happen, as we've always had little capacity for it so tend to be strict ....

#49 2016-06-29 07:59:43

Dolomite

Not far off finishing now - quick picture of outside - hard to see but I have an ex-military storage box on the roof (thought it looked cooler than a roofbox)

also note the bad tint job on rear window - this is going to be seen too soon!

I just hope our pounds are still going to be worth something in the summer - maybe we'll have to shorten our planned time to 4 weeks...

mini_IMG_0024.jpeg

#50 2016-06-29 08:46:43

Casper

The € was sitting at 1.17 to the £ yesterday and its 1.18 today so things are starting to get a bit of normality about it again. Dont expect 1.40 like this time last year.

Van is looking rather clean.. Looks nice and i think i would be tempted to paint the roof rack black. Talking about shit tint. This was attempt 2

tpO197T0cxZ2SumSPAK18h19_2AvSIkzsq0RZ8W_KSlN9gZabAhPLrhtahdYK0kVJ1xdgptIQvJSlruhE9fFOctPFNNF8lxfaUU-h0UwO0-tgk6oM0Z-k3AF7Nsq8v6D3luIBviQkVyAgEDNPBUdMrCC4k17qup-3sehuylUhbiXF3XTJ-bT96Yx01fYTHv4W3EBNEF_LpECnS6seRNWNPA2WipKEdBJ2BkPoiMyO2f4Yg3yHj0nWGnRl78nwedH0OFFpLEfngNy0MTvhDFY2h60qaphzOwUflHZ1ZZzz_gGnk7mFp3p9TdH7NxC0IGoXhWvfcVqmmBRvxNc6yb4_3iJ6Vo0qcxBCOXKF5XAqSDUFj0We_NFp0Otpc4FD9w3MtjH1XVRpfSADSbyh3BkNVEqApj28il5zfKCiHM_4AC7xZNJlo_vFIcmg6dV409QH6zdvrIX9Ka33B4mND5X1Qt6xdVKf-aPvX-gP6PWfuaeC_zjRvFyEFihWfeQnjKpbPw5TamHb706MdfHaoIGhaPudz5aOcdpWPXtK3J24piat_a4jPyNYQfJexzBQ1qj7ytnqLMM3Y__F_vJnVO3heBxEm4FYdw=w858-h643-no

Board footer