The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-01 19:58:06

cliffo

98 1.9D Manual Scudo - Replacing Gearbox Oil

The gearbox oil should be replaced every 40,000 miles. It takes 1.85-2litres of 75W80 transmission oil.

=Preparation=

As always, take care when working under a vehicle. Apply the handbrake, put the vehicle in 1st gear, chock the rear wheels and use axle stands. It's probably wise to wear safety specs too as splashes of oil and other engine bay crud are not fun on the eyeballs

Warmer gearbox oil drains quicker so you may want to do this after a run out.

Raise up the front of the vehicle (either jack or raise on ramps, etc).

=Drain the Oil=

You will need an 8mm square drain plug key and a torque wrench if you're doing things by the book. Also handy is a funnel with a flexible filler pipe. A blowtorch is optional to rework the copper washer, or you may just replace it with a new one.

- Undo the drain plug carefully, being ready to catch the 2 litres of oil which will fall out. Mind that you don't lose the copper crush-washer in the old oil.

- Whilst the oil is draining, take the copper washer aside and use a blowtorch to heat it until it is cherry red then drop it into some cold water. This should anneal it so that it can be used again.

- Clean the plug, add the copper washer (or a new one) and refit in to the empty gearbox.

- Tighten the plug to 30Nm

At this point the vehicle may be dropped again, however, if you drop anything whilst working in the engine bay then you may need to get back under again.

01.jpg

=Prepare to Refill=

The gearbox filler is somewhat inaccessible on the side of the casing. An easier option is to use the breather valve on the top. It helps to lift the air-filter box up and away from the work area.

02.jpg

Locate and Remove the Breather Valve

The breather valve is made of black plastic with a white plastic loose (but captive) cap on the top of this. Take care unscrewing and re-tightening this valve as the plastic can be easily over-torqued and damaged.

03.jpg

=Refill with Oil=

It's easier to use a funnel with a flexible filler pipe to refill the oil. When you have added the required amount (I used 2 litres) then replace the breather valve (be careful with the tightening), refit the air filter box, close the bonnet and carefully lower the vehicle off its stands and jack to the ground.

[04.jpg

Last edited by cliffo (2017-09-01 21:49:45)

#2 2017-09-01 20:21:52

Pugtaxi1

Re: 98 1.9D Manual Scudo - Replacing Gearbox Oil

Nice guide and clear photos & instructions

#3 2017-09-01 20:58:50

luthier

A great guide big_smile thanks for sharing

#4 2017-09-08 22:42:39

Watergypsy

Good info mate but the refill procedure seems a bit complicated, I just remove nearside wheel undo the filler bolt simples

Be kind to strangers, you may become one some day

#5 2017-09-08 23:01:30

Casper

Good one cliffo. What the forum needs, tuts with pics. I bought the gearbox oil to change mine then sold the van so got 2lt or oil sitting in the spare room. Must check if my new van uses the same stuff.

#6 2017-09-09 10:48:12

cliffo

Watergypsy wrote:

Good info mate but the refill procedure seems a bit complicated, I just remove nearside wheel undo the filler bolt simples

I couldn't FIND any obvious filler inlet! I am guessing that it's a horizontal inlet. I always worry about dropping oil all over the ground when horizontal filling :-)

#7 2017-09-09 18:10:58

Watergypsy

cliffo wrote:
Watergypsy wrote:

I couldn't FIND any obvious filler inlet! I am guessing that it's a horizontal inlet. I always worry about dropping oil all over the ground when horizontal filling :-)

Yeah it's not very obvious at all it looks like all the other casing bolts but slightly bigger if I remember right. And yes it's horizontal fill which is not easy if the bottles aint got pull out tube neutral
Great post tho mate, my clutch is about shot don't suppose you got a walk through on that?

Be kind to strangers, you may become one some day

#8 2017-09-09 23:25:32

cliffo

Sadly (or luckily) no clutch walk through (yet).

"How hard can it be?" ☺️

#9 2017-09-11 10:36:50

vaz2121

Very handy How To............... The breather is where the 306 was filled from when we found out that the gearbox was totally empty a good 4 years ago and the Van got topped up just the other day when I got the CV joint changed....................

#10 2018-05-19 19:26:54

luthier

A great tutorial on changing G/B oil   thanks for sharing smile

#11 2018-05-19 20:40:24

Casper

I read this tutorial and went out to buy the oil to see if this was my 3rd gear issue. Decided to put the van up for sale so never got round to it and some time later i still have the oil so best see if my present van takes the same stuff.

#12 2018-05-21 00:02:12

steve the grease

Please , please, don't re-use the washer. It is described in the post as a crush washer, and so it is, like a washer on a spark plug , once it has been used once, it will never seal as well again. They are like 50p retail to buy. The size is 14x20x2   , the same size fits the sump. If you re-use them they always drip, just enough to be annoying, but not enough to bother re-doing the job..............

#13 2018-05-21 10:15:57

luthier

Casper wrote:

I read this tutorial and went out to buy the oil to see if this was my 3rd gear issue. Decided to put the van up for sale so never got round to it and some time later i still have the oil so best see if my present van takes the same stuff.

I'm needing an oil change in my G/B too, wondering if this might help my crunching 4th gear a bit lol

#14 2018-05-21 16:05:55

Casper

luthier wrote:
Casper wrote:

I'm needing an oil change in my G/B too, wondering if this might help my crunching 4th gear a bit lol

Nah yer gearbox is just F***** mate big_smile

Any chance you cables want adjusting. Dono id they do adjust but i suffered a 5th gear problem with the wifes Fiat for about a year. Tried a few things to cure it until i had the head off for a new gasket and noticed the side to side motion cable had an adjuster. Started to play about with turning it out a couple of turns a time and it was getting better each time. Now its silky smooth.

#15 2020-10-13 16:17:37

brman

Some additional info on this in case it helps someone. I used this guide to change my oil so thanks, it was very useful in confirming where everything is.

On my van (2003 2.0jtd) the breather is a a black cap (rather than white). It just pulls off and a smallish funnel fits to fill.
I think my airbox is slightly different too. On mine the lid is held by screws rather than wire clips and the base is clipped to the battery tray. There is an obvious support down the nearside of the airbox but also a clip that is hidden under a radiator hose at the front. So if just pulling up does not work then check you have released this wink

#16 2020-10-25 09:25:09

Jumpy-Joe

Nice guide, but I was wondering a bit about filling the gearbox from the top, since the filler cap is on the side. Risk of overfilling?

2003 Citroen Jumpy 1.9D
Famous last words: How Hard Can It Be

#17 2020-10-26 02:33:23

vaz2121

Jumpy-Joe wrote:

Nice guide, but I was wondering a bit about filling the gearbox from the top, since the filler cap is on the side. Risk of overfilling?

You have a valid point...........
The trick with filling here from above is that it's a complete oil change and as the capacity is known at 1.9 or 2 ltr you just stick that quantity in, I wouldn't have thought a marginal over-fill would do harm but masivly over filling might cause seals to weep or leak with excess pressure build-up and gear change to become difficult especially when cold..............

As an example our 306 peugeot was filled from breather when empty with 2L of 75W80 gear oil and a tube of moly slip after that without issue ............. and a number of years previous My Lada Niva 4x4 with 5 speed box, I took the gear lever off and added/overfilled by approx a extra half litre of gear oil ........... again without issue in use...............(Still have it , it's a 1993 I've had it 25 yrs).........

When the van got a new CV joint about half Ltr oil leaked out from where driveshaft fits ............ gearbox was drained and oil saved a new ltr was used with a ltr of saved oil also.... As it still appeared Ok.................

Plus gear oil comes in one Ltr bottles...........

Last edited by vaz2121 (2020-10-26 02:35:19)

#18 2020-10-26 14:40:44

Jumpy-Joe

Good one! The top it is... when I get to it, that is. BTW, what kind of oil goes in the servo-steering?

2003 Citroen Jumpy 1.9D
Famous last words: How Hard Can It Be

#19 2020-11-05 17:19:45

vaz2121

Jumpy-Joe wrote:

Good one! The top it is... when I get to it, that is. BTW, what kind of oil goes in the servo-steering?

Excuse the time delay I'd gone over to the Isle of Bute on the day after you posted and only returned back Tuesday this week.............
It's taken me a day or so to get back into the swing.............

I'm going to assume it's the power steering fluid topping up your asking about.......
In which case you can get the likes of power steering fluid with stop leak and some other additives ........... (Eg...Slik 50)

Or ATF ..............Automatic transmission fluid does the job and is cheaper overal also ............

Board footer