The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-13 17:12:09

tee_cee

Front Brake hoses

Just passed the MOT for the 5th time in a row, however there is an advisory regarding perished front brake hoses.
I was had intended to get them replaced anyway, since I know that I have been losing some fluid.
Looks a fairly straight forward job, but just wondered if there are any gotchas that people are aware of?

#2 2017-11-13 18:24:19

vaz2121

Re: Front Brake hoses

tee_cee wrote:

Looks a fairly straight forward job, but just wondered if there are any gotchas that people are aware of?

It probably is straight forward... But check if van has ABS (I didn't know mine had ABS until it lost an ABS ring as I've still never seen an ABS pump in engine compartment)

I'm lead to believe that it's imperative Not to let ABS pump Empty of fluid...........(or diagnostic equipment is needed for ABS pump)
Be very gentle on pushing back caliper pistons as it can ruin master cylinder by turning seals inside out and may contaminate servo with brake fluid
If possible open bleeder when returning piston
And on bleeding the engine needs to be running

Sorry for the doom and gloom... Don't know how gospel this information is ............ (It's ABS procedure I've heard them discussing down my local garage !!!!!)

#3 2017-11-13 18:50:13

tee_cee

Thanks - I'd heard about the seals before. I don't think I have ABS as the servicebox report for my VIN states
"W/O ABS BRAKES". The local garage suggested that hoses would be £30 each, and a couple of hours labour ~ £180 + vat.

#4 2017-11-15 10:52:41

vaz2121

tee_cee wrote:

Thanks - I'd heard about the seals before. I don't think I have ABS as the servicebox report for my VIN states
"W/O ABS BRAKES". The local garage suggested that hoses would be £30 each, and a couple of hours labour ~ £180 + vat.

For a couple hundred £ all in it doesn't sound to bad ........

Their are some aspects of motoring that's Worth letting the professionals undertake  (tyre, exhaust fitting stores don't qualify on this subject) especially if certain tools/procedures are required or if your not so confidant in your own expertise.
So long as you have full confidence in local garage's work and as you take many long extended trips  ...... Go for it .....

Brakes are not an area you want to find something lacking when approaching a set of lights/zebra crossing never mind when your coming down off the Alps.....

It may be somewhat cliché......
Given time we all experience that moment when your world passes through your Ar** while it's chewing on Ginger Snaps when not much happens as expected on pressing said peddle

IMHO

Last edited by vaz2121 (2017-11-15 10:55:14)

#5 2017-11-15 18:00:25

Casper

180+ quid to supply two flexi hoses  yikes Shop around, you will get the two for around 30 quid. Thread at each end. Just spray with some plus gas or the likes and DIY. Dont undo them just crack them loose so you can take it of fast and not lose to much fluid.

#6 2017-12-12 18:47:07

tee_cee

Decided that since I hadn't done anything yet, that I probably wasn't going too - so rang around a get a few quotes.
Went with a local independent for £144, so not too bad.
Interesting they, and one other garage, warned me that due to the age of the van it can be difficult to get the hose removed from the main pipework, which can lead to a lot more work - like new pipework as well.

#7 2017-12-13 12:13:33

vaz2121

tee_cee wrote:

Interesting they, and one other garage, warned me that due to the age of the van it can be difficult to get the hose removed from the main pipework, which can lead to a lot more work - like new pipework as well.

I've suffered that syndrome a couple of times..... Latest version, A 22yr old diesel golf we've had since 2001.... Was handed down to my eldest daughter but she hardly used it ....Supposedly to learn to drive, But it ended up being pushed down side of garage at her mothers house and effectively into the hedge that finally it became part of in the ensuing 8 years it was there.......

Cut a long story..... on them moving house son & I were requested to dispose of said Golf, with just less than 90,000mls and Surprisingly unscathed and solid for its time in there, son and I deemed it worth resurrecting.....

Discs pads, brake hoses, Wheel cylinders, cam-belt, ETC done  Within 6 weeks it was MOT'd .... couple of years and 15,000mls later...........

Although it flew it's test it was noted on fitting a new hand brake cable, A wheel cylinder was weeping so decided to have it changed.......... original cylinder is on for nearly 20 yrs and comes off with next to no problem......... replacement is on for 2 yrs and refuses to come off without a fight and subsequently new brake pipe also...........

Board footer