The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-05 16:59:23

kernowmacaw

Knocking / clonking on front drivers side help

Hi does anyone know what this clonking could be, its on a 2011 Expert, it clonks fairly loud when on uneven road surfaces, not so noticeable when turning but on the straight can notice it? It sounds like it's from the drivers side front, any ideas anyone?
Thanks in advance Steve.

#2 2017-12-07 01:33:28

vaz2121

Re: Knocking / clonking on front drivers side help

Could be a number of things... i.e ball joint on lower arm, inner lower arm mounts, track rod end or top mounts but they usually creak first

Don't ignore any of the possibilities

prognosis is not so easy without being there to eliminate a couple of things 
Best guess is ...... it sounds like an anti-roll bar rubber is worn out or missing .......

#3 2017-12-07 11:41:25

tee_cee

On my 2002 I get an intermittent clunking noise that appears for a day or two then goes away. It's aggravated after I drive on really bad roads and usually in dry & dusty conditions. At one point in the Czech republic after driving to a campsite a mile down a really bad road, it got so bad, I had the van towed. The garage stuck it up on the ramps - found nothing and then did a test drive - nothing not a sound. I think something had got slightly misaligned, and it slipped back into place when lifted off the ground.

#4 2017-12-07 16:24:26

Casper

Do these vans not have the bearing at the top of the strut?

#5 2017-12-07 16:33:47

kernowmacaw

Just had it back from garage, it was broken bearing at top of strut, but anti roll bar bushes are worn. Are these easy to replace the garage seemed to think only available as a peugeot  part and all one piece?

#6 2017-12-07 16:44:08

Casper

Look on ebay as im sure you can get a bush kit. Even try popping your reg in euro car parts and see what they come up with.

#7 2017-12-09 01:31:52

vaz2121

kernowmacaw wrote:

Just had it back from garage, it was broken bearing at top of strut, but anti roll bar bushes are worn. Are these easy to replace the garage seemed to think only available as a peugeot  part and all one piece?

Like Casper said you'll find/get them on eBa* an Eurocar bits and just about any local Motor Factors (check Peugeot prices too) I'm sure you can get a repair kit (bolts, mounts, clamp etc) but if you only need the rubbers wink  just replace them .... They have a split in them to get over Anti-roll bar as do the originals

you should find the steering easier/lighter when the bearing is replaced on the top mount

Doesn't sound like a total disaster.....Not a hard job..... Can be fiddly getting the clamp back on and most likely filthy afterwards ............

#8 2017-12-14 19:39:28

kernowmacaw

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

Board footer