The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-15 19:37:32

Casper

Euro Car Transport Trains

Anyone know the name of the company that you drive on and get taken round Europe in your car? I may be short for time on my next Euro jolly but want to visit someone in East Austria. If i can drive my van onto a train and get down in a few hours i think it would be worth it. Apparently my old bus just fits with inches to spare.

#2 2017-12-15 21:57:56

OAT

Re: Euro Car Transport Trains

Austrian Autorail (OBB) run Dusseldorf to Innsbruck.  I think that looks the only one towards your destination.

https://www.seat61.com/Motorail.htm#OBB motorail

#3 2017-12-16 00:43:01

vaz2121

OAT wrote:

Austrian Autorail (OBB) run Dusseldorf to Innsbruck.  I think that looks the only one towards your destination.

https://www.seat61.com/Motorail.htm#OBB motorail

I think Dusseldorf is the only motorail left... A friend of mine took his bike down to Trieste (IIRC) on train went to Croatia and rode it back a few years ago for same reason..... But I'm almost certain some routes ceased a year or so ago or were greatly reduced ...... Sorry can't remember exactly what it was now but did read about something as it scuppered our start plans for quick trip out on bike

Sorry..................................

P.S. 1. Cheap it aint
       2. Be careful of height restrictions as I'm sure some large 4x4's/MPV's have a problems on some trains.............................................................................................

#4 2017-12-16 01:31:59

Casper

I was chatting to a bloke on facebook who took his Convoy one one and that got me thinking. I did find that site OAT cheers but when i first looked i seen a page that said the Dusseldorf to Innsbruck route was finished but now i look again it looks open but nightly and for cars and bikes only sad Bummer.

Looked like average was £250 ish Vaz2121. Driving 250-300 miles in a convoy a day is enough so braking the trip up over sites,food and fuel it would have been worth it but its looking like a non starter. Got shafted for some work next season so looking to cut back a few things and jolly is the easy cut hence looking into the train.

Cheers lads

#5 2017-12-17 13:38:39

vaz2121

Casper wrote:

I was chatting to a bloke on facebook who took his Convoy one one and that got me thinking. I did find that site OAT cheers but when i first looked i seen a page that said the Dusseldorf to Innsbruck route was finished but now i look again it looks open but nightly and for cars and bikes only sad Bummer.

Looked like average was £250 ish Vaz2121. Driving 250-300 miles in a convoy a day is enough so braking the trip up over sites,food and fuel it would have been worth it but its looking like a non starter. Got shafted for some work next season so looking to cut back a few things and jolly is the easy cut hence looking into the train.

Cheers lads

You have a valid point there and one I've argued over with others and with myself also especially with the bike out of Newcastle DFDS

Fuel+food+wear N tear and of course when you arrive in theory your fresh as a daisy and ready to party, not looking to sleep after such a journey

Hope the work recovers and you get your jolly sorted.......... as such a long time is spent planning and looking towards what is really a short time frame to squeeze every thing in............. (So to speak)

#6 2017-12-17 19:39:03

Casper

You might be able to clear this one. If i buy a van/car that was tax exempt as it was for carrying disable folk around surely i cant continue with this free tax as its not getting used for purpose and i am not disabled. Some guy on a facebook page is arguing the toss that he can as it has a drop floor and disable seat belts. For the life of me i cant find anything online apart from tax exempt and how to apply.

#7 2017-12-17 23:29:05

vaz2121

Casper wrote:

You might be able to clear this one. If i buy a van/car that was tax exempt as it was for carrying disable folk around surely i cant continue with this free tax as its not getting used for purpose and i am not disabled. Some guy on a facebook page is arguing the toss that he can as it has a drop floor and disable seat belts. For the life of me i cant find anything online apart from tax exempt and how to apply.

Your right............. You must be registered as disabled and qualify and have appropriate paperwork for zero road tax on any vehicle irrespective of what it was designed to do or registered (taxed as) before....
I have  bought a few cars that came as disabled and had to wait for new logbook to come back to regain normal taxation..... Ironically the last car my partner had before buying and  her getting the 306............ I had lots of interest but had to get it returned from her disabled tax to normal before got it sold on...(takes about a fortnight... DVLA dependent Now most local offices are closed)........

Only other way is buy pre 1977 for zero tax
Or pre 1960 for tax and MOT exemption........ If what I've been told is true from middle of next year MOT and Tax exemption will be brought together .........1977 and older
(Shi* that's (43) couple years after I past my car/bike test)

#8 2017-12-20 22:10:37

Casper

Though that. Guy was still arguing his case saying he was right. In the end i just left it and him having the last word.

Board footer