The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-07 11:24:22

Silve1999

is it okay to take out the driver cage?

as the title really is it safe/okay to take out the black cage from the drivers side in the van? i assume its a roll cage really and should probable be left without further modifications?

#2 2018-01-07 16:40:41

OAT

Re: is it okay to take out the driver cage?

More for protection from a shifting loads than rolling I would expect.

I haven't actually seen one with a cage but only with a solid bulkhead.

Plenty of people have removed the bulkhead.  I think the panel along the floor needs a couple of welds chiseling away but I am sure someone will be along to confirm.

#3 2018-01-09 03:25:14

vaz2121

Silve1999 wrote:

as the title really is it safe/okay to take out the black cage from the drivers side in the van? i assume its a roll cage really and should probable be left without further modifications?

rear_view.jpg
It's as you put it looks like a roll hoop contoured too and behind drivers seat only..... As above............ the short answer is yes it can be removed.
It's entirely up too you ..... I've seen vans leave them and build around them... Use them for hanging/drying towels/clothes horse but it does eat into usable space.

A friend of mine has that type of bulkhead fitted to his Scudo.......... he bungees spare wheel, tool bag and various other things he loads into his van to it...................

As OAT said protection from shifting boxes/load from Driver................

As none of the E7 Taxi's, combi vans or WAV's had them fitted you'll be fine and if you plan on fitting A swivel seat the lower/lowest part of bulk head will need to be removed anyway to allow the seat to turn ............ I would doubt it would have any real benefit in the event of a roll

Last edited by vaz2121 (2018-01-09 03:44:54)

#4 2018-01-09 21:05:01

Silve1999

thanks

#5 2018-01-10 14:04:54

OAT

Looking at that cage in vaz's pic, it looks like it could easily be adapted to make a carrier for the rear door.

#6 2018-01-10 15:05:57

vaz2121

OAT wrote:

Looking at that cage in vaz's pic, it looks like it could easily be adapted to make a carrier for the rear door.

To be fair that photo is of a second generation van but on our first gen they are of a similar fitment  and I'd guess it would be easily adaptable to do so.

But they're not flat and follow the contour of driver seat.....  IIRC

(My friends Scudo is a first gen van)

Last edited by vaz2121 (2018-01-10 15:11:09)

#7 2018-01-11 15:43:18

OAT

Interesting.

I am thinking of something to carry bulky but relatively light things like awning, wet weather gear.

One to consider.  Another option would be a tow ball mounted bike rack.  Would keep the weight lower down but interferes with rear door access.

So expensive to get any fabrication work done to adapt either though without having facilities myself.

#8 2018-01-11 16:48:13

Casper

OAT wrote:

Interesting.

I am thinking of something to carry bulky but relatively light things like awning, wet weather gear.

One to consider.  Another option would be a tow ball mounted bike rack.  Would keep the weight lower down but interferes with rear door access.

So expensive to get any fabrication work done to adapt either though without having facilities myself.

Roof rack and roof box. I had a large one what held his and hers holdalls for clothes for a 10 days. Pots and pans, general kitchen utensils and all the dog food. Better having the awning within reach as its one of the first jobs when camping for the night.

#9 2018-01-11 18:28:59

tee_cee

OAT wrote:

Interesting.

You could always fit a bike rack to the door, and use a Fiamma Ultrabox. I have a roofbox but stopped using it because it can be difficult with city center car parks.

#10 2018-01-11 20:56:12

OAT

No roof storage guys.  Pop top and I intend to fit solar.

Awning will rarely be used and then only when staying put a day or two.  And I don't know about you Casper, but I always take it outside to put it up anyway.  wink   And wet and muddy, wet weather gear is best outside too I think.

I fancied the rack idea as whenever I have solid storage, I always find something that doesn't quite fit.  The flexibility of a ladder type rack and tarps is far more versatile.  Security and as you say, quick and easy access being the drawbacks.

A purposely designed box would be the simplest to fit though. 

Does anyone make boxes to fit single doors without obstructing them from opening?

#11 2018-01-11 22:03:49

Casper

I was more on about having the awning in the van rather than in a top box. How about making a back door box or using a topbox but vertically. Just segment it with shelves and storage netting so you stuff does not drop to the floor when you open it. Whatever you decide keep the weight in mind or keep spare door hinges just in case. If taking a lot away then there is also the over bonnet roof rack option. Give your motor the Dakar rally rook big_smile

GRroofrack98.JPEG

Board footer