The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-17 10:46:00

karlcavanagh

Power steering failure

Hi

I have a 2009 Dispatch and the Power steering Failure light has come on and the steerings gone heavy. Is their anything I can check or do before handing it over to professionals.

Many thanks
Karl

#2 2017-07-17 11:59:05

OAT

Re: Power steering failure

I don't know the later models at all but a quick search suggests power steering problems are a common fault.  It's an electric pump and there was even a recall of earlier models than yours to sort a problem with the pumps earth.

Would be worth checking and cleaning the contacts if you can get at them.

#3 2017-07-17 13:41:09

karlcavanagh

Cheers, will do.

#4 2017-07-18 22:42:47

Casper

OAT wrote:

I don't know the later models at all but a quick search suggests power steering problems are a common fault.  It's an electric pump and there was even a recall of earlier models than yours to sort a problem with the pumps earth.

Would be worth checking and cleaning the contacts if you can get at them.

Why would it have a pump if electric? I have an electric system on my car and its shit as in not as smooth as hydraulic but still does not have a pump.

#5 2017-07-19 02:47:22

OAT

I assumed it must be a hydraulic system with an electric pump?

But don't ask me why!  roll   

Seem to be adding complexity for no good reason to me.

#6 2017-07-19 10:22:19

Casper

OAT wrote:

The way my car works is a cog in what looks like a magnetic wheel that gets powered when you start to turn the wheel. I will presume revered polarity for turning left and right. Being at the end of the steering rack it gets covered in road shit. Stupid system what works well in some cars but crap in others.

#7 2018-01-28 12:37:51

woodrow

THats right. it has an electric pump to pump the hydraulic fluid instead of it being run mechanically off a pulley belt!

It is more efficient and less strain on the engine as so you get better engine results ie fuel economy.

They are prone to going though.. They are made up of the pump and an ecu attached  full of circuitry and chips!

Mine has gone the same way. I am looking at getting it replaced but they are costly. you may be able to get yours reconditioned for a fraction of the price and maybe get a lifetime Guarantee to boot? ebay?

#8 2018-01-29 00:57:06

vaz2121

OAT wrote:

We have a Corsa in the fleet  "Electric power steering" --- No Hydraulics ----- Yet changing IIRC an Electric Hydraulic pump along with a friend for His Steering on a 1990 Grey Import MR2 of his about 2004 or there about

I feel like Now (these days) it's a case of what's most cost effective for Manufacturers and addresses their requirements the best rather than vehicles longevity or reliability in our long term ownership

karlcavanagh------- An all to Familiar phrase these days "A code reader should help" and like it or not it most probably will being electric power steering but not any generic reader (They'll only cover "P" codes)...... something like Peugeot planet that reads multiple on board systems......

Last edited by vaz2121 (2018-01-29 01:09:11)

Board footer