The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-25 00:38:36

kenbw2
Member
Registered: 2017-11-26
Posts: 36

What have you all covered the insides of your doors up with?

I've got wooden panels I cut out myself, but I'm having some mould problems, so I'm thinking wood isn't the right answer.

Si0xtLx.jpg

I'm considering using perspex sheets instead of wood. Or I could just put 4-way-stretch carpet straight onto the metal, but I'm worried that that might grow mould and be harder to remove.

Ideally the taxis would have something, but I'm not finding anything unfortunately. What have you all done with yours?


1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9 DW8 Camper Conversion

Online

#2 2018-01-27 19:48:30

OAT
Member
From: Borders
Registered: 2017-01-03
Posts: 161

Re: What have you all covered the insides of your doors up with?

I thought you meant molding the wood to the shape at first.  smile

I see you mean mould growth though.

Hard to keep any van dry at this time of the year but I have never actually had mould growth unless laid up for weeks or months.  Sounds like you only just put the wood panels up recently and have mould growth already?

Is the ply or whatever exterieur grade?  Have you sealed it with anything?  Any insulation behind it?

If the vans standing try leaving a bit of ventilation if possible without letting rain in.  Adn give it a good run with full heat any chance you get.

My own van has plastic trim on the lower half of the sliding doors.  Only metal showing in the top half around sliding windows and in the shuts.  I was thinking of carpet but the section is so thin it would be a fidelity job and not much contact area to stick to.  Add on the problems the condensation wicking into the carpet and I haven't bothered.

I am considering foamed neoprene.  What they make wetsuits out of.  I wouldn't expect it to be a durable as other options but top half of doors should be ok for a year or two.  And that might well see the van out!  smile

Anyone used it?

Offline

#3 2018-01-27 20:26:20

Casper
Member
From: East Lothian
Registered: 2015-12-20
Posts: 1,005

Re: What have you all covered the insides of your doors up with?

I sealed my O/S door up. Disconnected the C/L then silicon all the way round the inside and out and put storage in front. The other side i put a new middle roller in as that was my main problem with the leak then bought that D shapped rubber door seal and made a 2nd seal around the door. Nice and snug with no doors sooking open when on the motorways.

Offline

#4 2018-01-28 16:06:49

kenbw2
Member
Registered: 2017-11-26
Posts: 36

Re: What have you all covered the insides of your doors up with?

OAT wrote:

I thought you meant molding the wood to the shape at first.  smile

I see you mean mould growth though.

Hard to keep any van dry at this time of the year but I have never actually had mould growth unless laid up for weeks or months.  Sounds like you only just put the wood panels up recently and have mould growth already?

Kinda, I instaled them and then maybe 2 months later they were growing black mould round the edges.

OAT wrote:

Is the ply or whatever exterieur grade?  Have you sealed it with anything?  Any insulation behind it?

Nope, just generic ply. After the first lot of mould I cleaned them off and coated them in varnish (although the water based kind, I was being lazy). No insulation directly behind it, but the doors are filled with plastic wool stuff.

OAT wrote:

If the vans standing try leaving a bit of ventilation if possible without letting rain in.  Adn give it a good run with full heat any chance you get.

I actually live in it full time (hence the damp). I'd love to give it some heat, but my blowers are kinda lukewarm since I had oil in my coolant from an oil cooler leak last summer!

OAT wrote:

My own van has plastic trim on the lower half of the sliding doors.  Only metal showing in the top half around sliding windows and in the shuts.

What's the plastic trim? This sounds perfect! I have the plastic rectangle you can see in the picture, and the doors came with a crappy chipboard panel on the bottom, but plenty of metal on show. I'd love to yo see yours!

OAT wrote:

I was thinking of carpet but the section is so thin it would be a fidelity job and not much contact area to stick to.  Add on the problems the condensation wicking into the carpet and I haven't bothered.

Hmm I was thinking of carpeting mine, but good point on the wicking...


OAT wrote:

I am considering foamed neoprene.  What they make wetsuits out of.  I wouldn't expect it to be a durable as other options but top half of doors should be ok for a year or two.  And that might well see the van out!  smile

Anyone used it?

Seems a good idea in principle.


1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9 DW8 Camper Conversion

Online

#5 2018-01-29 01:05:28

OAT
Member
From: Borders
Registered: 2017-01-03
Posts: 161

Re: What have you all covered the insides of your doors up with?

Doesn't seem like there's much more you can do really.  Ventilation will always help but isn't always practical in winter.

Trouble with the mould is that you will never totally get rid of it and it's not good stuff to be breathing in if your spending hours living in there. 

Decent waterproof ply would be a lot better.  How about that plastic (polycarbon?) double skinned sheet stuff wrapped in carpet?  There is allsorts of different plastic claddings out there but hard to find in the small amounts we need.

Interested to hear your living in it, do you move around much?  If you can occasionally get electric hook up for a day or two you could give it a good dry out with a fan heater.

The plastic on my sliding doors looks moulded to fit so is probably from a taxi.  Sliding windows both sides too.  The plastic still feels cold to touch but never gets condensation on it like the painted steel in the top half.  I used a couple of layers of cheap camping/yoga type mat for insulation.

Last edited by OAT (2018-01-29 01:11:26)

Offline

#6 2018-01-29 01:18:17

kenbw2
Member
Registered: 2017-11-26
Posts: 36

Re: What have you all covered the insides of your doors up with?

OAT wrote:

Doesn't seem like there's much more you can do really.  Ventilation will always help but isn't always practical in winter.

Trouble with the mould is that you will never totally get rid of it and it's not good stuff to be breathing in if your spending hours living in there. 

Decent waterproof ply would be a lot better.  How about that plastic (polycarbon?) double skinned sheet stuff wrapped in carpet?  There is allsorts of different plastic claddings out there but hard to find in the small amounts we need.

Interested to hear your living in it, do you move around much?  If you can occasionally get electric hook up for a day or two you could give it a good dry out with a fan heater.

The plastic on my sliding doors looks moulded to fit so is probably from a taxi.  Sliding windows both sides too.  The plastic still feels cold to touch but never gets condensation on it like the painted steel in the top half.  I used a couple of layers of cheap camping/yoga type mat for insulation.

Yea I've been looking into acrylic sheets. One thing I noticed is that it's all cold and damp, but neither the plastic nor metal have mould. Only the wood. I assume it's more absorbent and/or feeds the mould. The acrylic is suitably sized, but probably £25 per door, which is a bit steep. The double skinned stuff I've considered, but I'd need to rethink my curtains as they screw into the wood panel.

Do you have a picture of your plastic? I've checked taxis in scrapyards but never found anything for the sliding doors. If it covers the bottom half of the door then that's perfect.

I work 4 days a week at a normal job in Bradford, and my girlfriend is near there too, so I'm kind of centred around there. But I go out on my long weekends to more distant places. Nice to live in the pleasant surroundings on Northern England smile No hookup as I'm pretty much 100% off-grid. I thought about getting an electric heater in there when I visit family, but I don't think it's frequent enough to make a difference unfortunately.

Last edited by kenbw2 (2018-01-29 01:19:42)


1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9 DW8 Camper Conversion

Online

#7 2018-01-29 01:39:12

vaz2121
Member
From: SW. Scotland
Registered: 2015-08-31
Posts: 323

Re: What have you all covered the insides of your doors up with?

For my two pence worth as OAT said mold growth is usually when left laid up for quite a while and usually starting in the grubby areas IE where we've been touching.... Living in van full time is bound to create quite a large amount of moisture and condensation.

In my van the insulation has a vapor barrier taped over it and seals it of from the outer cladding ....IE  wood or carpet .......
My suggestion is much the same as "OAT" plenty (through)ventilation at all times as best you can and probably seal (oil) the wood as it's possibly the culprit for capturing moisture and promoting growth.......
The wood cladding should be  fine and again it's most likely in and around areas where we have an influence

Last edited by vaz2121 (2018-01-29 01:47:36)

Online

#8 2018-01-29 02:03:16

kenbw2
Member
Registered: 2017-11-26
Posts: 36

Re: What have you all covered the insides of your doors up with?

vaz2121 wrote:

For my two pence worth as OAT said mold growth is usually when left laid up for quite a while and usually starting in the grubby areas IE where we've been touching.... Living in van full time is bound to create quite a large amount of moisture and condensation.

In my van the insulation has a vapor barrier taped over it and seals it of from the outer cladding ....IE  wood or carpet .......
My suggestion is much the same as "OAT" plenty (through)ventilation at all times as best you can and probably seal (oil) the wood as it's possibly the culprit for capturing moisture and promoting growth.......
The wood cladding should be  fine and again it's most likely in and around areas where we have an influence


I kind of have experience that's both the same and opposite of what you're saying. I have a spare vehicle (Peugeot 806) that's my standin for if anything happens to the Dispatch. That's getting mould in touchy feely places like the steering wheel and seat belts. This one however is in damp corners of the doors that don't get much ventilation.

I agree ventilation is the key. I have ran guards and while I'm at work I keep my windows open, which helps somewhat. But obviously I produce a lot of moisture, there's only so far that can go.

It's the fact that the plastic and metal seem fine, just not the wood. Maybe it's right that an oil based varnish will be better, if my plastic options don't come to anything.

Last edited by kenbw2 (2018-01-29 02:04:15)


1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9 DW8 Camper Conversion

Online

#9 2018-01-29 17:10:51

vaz2121
Member
From: SW. Scotland
Registered: 2015-08-31
Posts: 323

Re: What have you all covered the insides of your doors up with?

I understand what your saying but I'm puzzled as to why just because your in full time ....... shouldn't necessarily guarantee mold issues........
1. Is mold only on lower extremities of wood.......
2.Is there a plastic sheet on door..doors behind what would have been original door card
3.Is it localized to door/doors or randomly about van

I ask because not being porous or absorbent the metal and plastic likely will stay  fine....... 
I'm beginning to wonder if you have a water leak that's continually keeping the wood damp..............
or is the plastic barrier been damaged behind wood to allow a constant damp for it to manifest where you can now see it ................

Not the same thing relay .... But last year we had an instance in my daughters ground floor flat that had a burst/leaky pipe under bathroom floor .....
That we knew nothing about
Over a period of several weeks/months was filling the 3 or 4 inch void under the floor boards..........

It was the next door neighbour that complained of some mold too an external wall under a window.......

The water had managed to breach and rise just far enough to touch some plaster board that just happened to be fitted lower next door which was pulling the water through capillary action and going moldy bellow the window......

Obviously investigations traced it back to pipe under our bog floor.. which was almost exactly the opposite side of building from where and what was expected

Online

#10 2018-01-30 01:47:03

kenbw2
Member
Registered: 2017-11-26
Posts: 36

Re: What have you all covered the insides of your doors up with?

vaz2121 wrote:

I understand what your saying but I'm puzzled as to why just because your in full time ....... shouldn't necessarily guarantee mold issues........
1. Is mold only on lower extremities of wood.......

Yep, definitely down at the bottom and the edges - the places that are most exposed to damp, and also the parts screwed to the metal, so also the coldest points

vaz2121 wrote:

2.Is there a plastic sheet on door..doors behind what would have been original door card

No, I removed that to put the insulation inside the door. I'm regretting that as it lets draughts in. I'll be reinstating that.

vaz2121 wrote:

3.Is it localized to door/doors or randomly about van

There are bits on the shelves that are behind my water that never see the light of day, nor get any warmth, but I'd say it's pretty much all on the doors.

vaz2121 wrote:

I ask because not being porous or absorbent the metal and plastic likely will stay  fine.......

Yea this is my thinking. Zero mould on metal or plastic surfaces, so I ideally want to get rid of the wood panels 9those thing OAT has sound perfect)

vaz2121 wrote:

I'm beginning to wonder if you have a water leak that's continually keeping the wood damp..............

vaz2121 wrote:

or is the plastic barrier been damaged behind wood to allow a constant damp for it to manifest where you can now see it ................

I don't think so because the mould isn't around those areas - it reaches up to the top, but only along the edges. In fact, there's no mould on the back side of the wood - only the side that sees light, which is interesting.


vaz2121 wrote:

Not the same thing relay .... But last year we had an instance in my daughters ground floor flat that had a burst/leaky pipe under bathroom floor ..... Obviously investigations traced it back to pipe under our bog floor.. which was almost exactly the opposite side of building from where and what was expected

I accept that as a possibility, but doesn't seem to be the apparent cause.

I think I need something much less porous, which is why I was asking what you guys use. OAT, tell me the ways of your plastic moulded panels!


1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9 DW8 Camper Conversion

Online

#11 2018-02-01 00:14:54

OAT
Member
From: Borders
Registered: 2017-01-03
Posts: 161

Re: What have you all covered the insides of your doors up with?

I will post some pictures of my panels tomorrow.

I just assumed they came from a taxi.  It was a commercially done conversion but I doubt they would go to the expense of having them specially made for a very small production run. 

Just scrolled through loads of pics but must admit to not taking many of the inside of a side door.  smile

This is all I found.  You can see it's custom made though.  I will take a proper one tomorrow.

Slider-sm.jpg

Offline

#12 2018-02-01 01:10:01

vaz2121
Member
From: SW. Scotland
Registered: 2015-08-31
Posts: 323

Re: What have you all covered the insides of your doors up with?

OAT..... Where is that location .... looks familiar but I've probably not been there and great place to wake up to or spend an hr or two with a cuppa
BTW... same window deflectors as my van................................


Found this photo of Rear but you get the idea of door covering with (reflective) thermal blind drawn

DSC_2897.jpeg

Online

#13 2018-02-01 01:55:07

Casper
Member
From: East Lothian
Registered: 2015-12-20
Posts: 1,005

Re: What have you all covered the insides of your doors up with?

Standard in my van was a bit of ply. I eventually just re painted it black

7umKrj8ejI-b3PQl2qRm-KkrX4tqsl9ei2kN2hKblOWORYj6u7yNHqEpv7vnqMOa6mclBl1JGVN2h5y_Gnz7b4uVpj7YSB6tqLq8i4W88JO7cC9PPRijqkvdDsJBMJ-C7FjQpU-Gr7urXLsnuvlqTqniinJ9E8F80QvIT3zy6XIMobqwkZrq7LlgoYf6Yh4FMwzToISjh0mJ7GofTyRRYfOxGYCH7FhuHVbV2cBeG8-7Zve7ahRmwme0FjeDvPXE_c2vy3p1HWBTPjOgWN50BSA3ZzxGrz92bskHHbvrDen4TERxqZlMP51SmHDoDpg9_PTUdzOIsptv2WDcymGfZFTuMqPHl3RIxUj4x6yNUE2hKRjAeXhAMnut4xxz0duF98iQoZ8e6lNiAWktrJoz66gFhvPqRHBc351Pa9uTMPk3AnjGmWNX8PUNmfmq7C7fvpe10WgGF-3vY-Lp1629YachmRD1j6PLN1GQ5frTpc0PArStWoj4hxdO1XlxwEZDeSfgN5oD3JsZoYs7MoxE1jN4x4KEQiHZntbhqOcX6ehS6FupHgENLtj1sglfQOd0aRSYDrDroMSIe02tRGRr8Ge_jeA1TtnXd4Kqh5GGtAla93k3MxMPT0G7AbE3zCpKDgtvCJrsFC5Eh9NeL0yTqZNQTywzNJq1=w850-h637-no

Offline

#14 2018-02-01 13:11:37

OAT
Member
From: Borders
Registered: 2017-01-03
Posts: 161

Re: What have you all covered the insides of your doors up with?

The plastic and board on Caspers lower door is the same as mine!

From a taxi?

Offline

#15 2018-02-01 13:17:38

kenbw2
Member
Registered: 2017-11-26
Posts: 36

Re: What have you all covered the insides of your doors up with?

Don't they all have that? The plastic is the same as mine in the OP, and the board below it was some crappy hardboard kind of plastic-riveted to the door that I pulled off to put insulation inside the door.

I was hoping to not have much metal exposed as it's a good heat-sink, but it looks like yours have a fair bit on show.

vaz2121 - I notice you have yours carpeted. Is that just straight on the metal?


1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9 DW8 Camper Conversion

Online

#16 2018-02-02 12:16:54

vaz2121
Member
From: SW. Scotland
Registered: 2015-08-31
Posts: 323

Re: What have you all covered the insides of your doors up with?

kenbw2 wrote:

Don't they all have that? The plastic is the same as mine in the OP, and the board below it was some crappy hardboard kind of plastic-riveted to the door that I pulled off to put insulation inside the door.

I was hoping to not have much metal exposed as it's a good heat-sink, but it looks like yours have a fair bit on show.

vaz2121 - I notice you have yours carpeted. Is that just straight on the metal?

The answer is yes but not entirely
The roof is insulated and then about 4-5 mm ply with grey carpet type material
The trim around the top against roof is hard boardish covered with fabric and then screwed onto rail
The rear doors are insulated but just painted grey inside (Fabric only on door card as-per sliding door) not quite battleship or just primer
The pillar (framework rear of sliding door) has insulation inside (sealed over with shrink wrap / the heavy type that's used on pallets not food wrapping)  and fabric spray glued directly to metal
The fabric covering is an almost denim heavy type material........that is spray glued direct on to metal any other area on to either a ply or on to original material to van IE door cards

Last edited by vaz2121 (2018-02-02 12:19:48)

Online

#17 2018-02-02 17:13:03

Casper
Member
From: East Lothian
Registered: 2015-12-20
Posts: 1,005

Re: What have you all covered the insides of your doors up with?

My present van its a horrid bit solid plastic that rattles when driving. Hated the thing so swapped that over for wood.

8jUq3Ut3_FaS1pmAmk65RaujdvM6iYY1LMf3UtHdIoBS692Lb8YkWoHRMRRKC3-7rASpRyJSXZEMwtuVu2nlLFcTwOKlV9cX5u6cFfj57W9llsBGEqJTX4i0-W-_Wzd3KmFAh36iGIp3n7FTsNVOld57P6RlSiqIo3fYqHbKzNg-he7jiaQVXXVvPIxNWAI0GuQpperdEytP7Nbd6la4uGoH-4TuoEoMz-dITKzB_kHctyTjBPHjealGvuLS6bz0Wj8ivCdxpOWb0HiwAClCVdEJVYrGm_Bn0xTU6l2JFGbRnIlOL5vLJcbTprcxpxjufWtDUPM24iRLOSn1DKuP2gJE97ddRLbxteG6eOWUx9svx0RktpBx3AoYIv6HP5F8iMEQFd9s6BX57xm8_Gsk2doey2TdPfhs6M9frK9gBbDCb36pAreybA-G0Ak4v5BW7532Xq-Y9elPLFopagulmdeSu3YA1UqRtteP7hMxLtxVloC11SkPIyapyPy_pRncTHJmP3r7D2gmZ-0PRFtfdSc6_rcVumHGoEWaD9u3iCWN8FgXNi9rt2C5vsfvJlIi0moe-x-KtQ2Sss3TLnq7puc6pK6YHoPF-45_Ezh8=w1133-h637-no

Offline

Board footer