The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#26 2016-05-12 10:04:15

Tiree
Administrator

Re: My Citroen Dispatch stealth-camper

Casper wrote:

I was petting one of those yappie wee bas****s today. Do they ever shut up?

I can honestly say I've never met a barky border terrier. Not yappy in the slightest. You must wind them up Casper big_smile

vaz2121 wrote:

As an educated guess it'll have been the Moniaive festival......{Knockengorroch not for another fortnight}

Moniaive it was indeed. Can't recommend it enough. £12 to camp for 4 nights. Bonfires allowed. Free music. £2.50/pint. And best of all, no Bob Dylan!

They do a bluegrass festival in September. Same deal. Also brilliant.

vaz2121 wrote:

That looks awfully like my table at the back of your van.....

I was given the table by a friend so not sure where it came from. There were a few more kicking around the festival campsite though.

2006 Citroen Dispatch 2.0HDi bought in July 2013 - Partial camper conversion ........

DSC_0360-1.jpg

#27 2016-05-12 10:06:56

Tiree
Administrator

Casper wrote:

Got my bed working as it should. Just a couple of units, soft furnishings and almost good to go.

That's lookin braw mate. Good work.

2006 Citroen Dispatch 2.0HDi bought in July 2013 - Partial camper conversion ........

DSC_0360-1.jpg

#28 2016-05-12 18:57:42

Casper

Cheer you Dylan hatter.  sad

#29 2016-05-12 20:16:51

Tiree
Administrator

Casper wrote:

Cheer you Dylan hatter.  sad

Sorry dude .. pet hate!  devil

DSC_0360-1.jpg

#30 2016-06-09 10:10:57

Casper

See when you go for an MOT Tiree, do you need to take all your fittings out the back as its still registered as a van or is the MOT for van and motorhome the same?

#31 2016-06-09 10:17:54

Tiree
Administrator

I've never even thought about that to be honest. I don't think MOT centres have any reason to open the rear of the van at all as far as I'm aware.

I don't have any fitted furniture in the back, but even if you do - I don't *think* it would affect MOT.

DSC_0360-1.jpg

#32 2016-06-09 12:58:35

vaz2121

Casper wrote:

See when you go for an MOT Tiree, do you need to take all your fittings out the back as its still registered as a van or is the MOT for van and motorhome the same?

Good question... The only problem I would envisage is if there was apparent rot that could be seen from underneath but was not accessible from inside of van ...would they class fittings as vehicle loaded and obstructing test?......... but then what about all the vans that are paneled out... do they need to remove paneling?

I was lead to believe that if a car had a body kit... IE covering sills the tester was not allowed to remove them to gain access behind so there for couldn't test and assumed pass..... unless of course kit was hanging off and he could see a hole behind... which would probably be a fail anyway for hanging off, sharp edges, unsafe body work............

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ive had a we look about and came up with this page
http://www.campervanlife.com/building/legal

In the UK small vans, less than 3500kg, are classified as Class 4 vehicles.  Vans between 3000kg and 3500kg are considered Class 7 vehicles.  Class 7 vehicles have stricter MOT tests.  Vehicles over 3500kg would normally go to a VOSA Test Centre.  A bus/mini-bus with more than 8 seats (up to 13) is a Class 5, unless the seats are removed and the vehicle is re-classified as a campervan, then it becomes Class 4.

However, if a Class 7 vehicle is registered for recreation purposes, it becomes a Class 4 vehicle.  Therefore, if you convert a Class 7 big panel van into a campervan or motorhome, changing it's classification to a recreation vehicle will make life easier and cheaper for you.

Also note that you should insure you vehicle based on its classification.  You cannot really insure a camper van as a panel van.  Should you have to make a claim the insurance company are unlikely to pay if your vehicle is wrongly classified.

I think the bit you might want Casper is this

"Class VII vehicles (between 3000kg and 3500kg) registered as camper vans come under the cheaper and less restriction Class IV MOT rules.  When inspecting the vehicle the MOT tester has to test the vehicle "as it is presented".  So if a campervan is presented, that would normally be class VII, even if it is not re-registered as a campervan, the MOT tester should test is as class IV vehicle."

So should be the same for our vans under the 3500kg .....A car derived van......A class IV !!

Last edited by vaz2121 (2016-06-09 13:22:23)

#33 2016-06-10 10:21:37

Casper

Thanks for that Vaz. Im not due the MOT till end of October but best know what i am in for in advance before i start fixing more through the floor but its looking like i have no need to worry. Hopefully this year i will be rubbing down under the van and sealing it all myself but what i can see so far is just surface rust and a good jet wash would clean most of that away. I do have a chip in the middle of my screen what i think will be a fail. I keep saying ill get it looked at as it may be clean enough to fill.

Anyone recommend cheap glass repairers or Autoglass still the main dealer?

#34 2016-06-10 12:19:46

vaz2121

Casper wrote:

Thanks for that Vaz. Im not due the MOT till end of October but best know what i am in for in advance before i start fixing more through the floor but its looking like i have no need to worry. Hopefully this year i will be rubbing down under the van and sealing it all myself but what i can see so far is just surface rust and a good jet wash would clean most of that away. I do have a chip in the middle of my screen what i think will be a fail. I keep saying ill get it looked at as it may be clean enough to fill.

Anyone recommend cheap glass repairers or Autoglass still the main dealer?

I found that info quite Useful/interesting myself after digging it out from point of view that it seems it's not at all necessary or as restrictive (unless driving at 70mph and back to making life easier booking ferries) as I thought especially on next size up which is I think we (Time,Health and finance permitting) may go next, but I really do want it to be "stealthy" just a van..... That I can park in the truck stops ETC I used over the years.........

Life and Partners health has taken wobbly or two over last couple months and as such haven't as yet bothered to change the windscreen on van although I'm due MOT end of Aug ...... So Window, full service and usual check over, get it done by end Jul.... When I bought the van I felt it wanted the wax-oil redoing but it was never fully redone just a squirt here and there to boost it through winter.(I still want it re wax-oiled)... I have to say these vans as a whole are not from what I've seen prone to Rot like IE Transits and the connects

As for the chip in your window..... I've in past did same as you left it for a bit and when I did get round to getting it repaired before MOT was told "No good you've left it for at least 2/3 months and dampness has got in so a New window" but on the upside .....chip was under 10mm? in drivers wiper sweep and didn't affect MOT so I just left it got 2 MOTS with that before I put a window in...........
I just use a local glass repairer..... Was not happy with my last experience with Autoglass

Board footer