The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-21 11:40:04

vaz2121

Could you make it up

About 3 weeks ago my partner and I had the best part of a week trotting along the West Coast and as we were leaving Ardrishaig (about midway through) the back box parted company..........

Ok fast forward I've ordered the back box and A Service pack for Van and it's impending MOT ...................

So the (guaranteed) correct back box arrives and on fitting discover that it's longer but seems a bit flater than box that's been dangling there ..........
It fits OK but fouls the towbar and a quick call returns "It's definitely the right one"

A quick (1/4" tickle to stop it touching /rattling) modification with a ball peen hammer and it's on ....... the exhaust rubbers with age or whatever are not the tightest fit on the hangers
The back of the engine is wet/damp from a small rocker cover leak (difficult to cure  completly I'm told so time will tell)..............
Service attended to (it'managed about 2,250 miles in last year so dosen't really need a service on miles) oil and filters done I've had a set of front pads for easily 6 months on the shelf as last year I changed a sticky calliper but never got the pads in time  or took time to put them in..... (could have done with discs in my book as a lip is starting so discs and pads next time)

MOT booked and off we go...........
1st thing is advisory for "Oil leak, but not excessive" as engine hadn't been washed at rear properly and on the way to test unnoticed I'd blown the bulb in the speedo so get "Unreadable" for the mileage reading .................
I'm hardly 200yards away from test station with my pass ticket I Go over the rough bit of road they've been digging up and the mileage has lit up again ......... but what I do notice is the speedo isn't working ...........

I get and stop at end of road thinking to go back and YES  you've guessed it speedo is working again ............... WTF

F... it I just went home and put kettle on .............. I have mentioned it to them .... They don't appear overly bothered..... I'm back in this friday for another MOT (different vehicle)

#2 2019-08-21 14:02:10

kenbw2
Administrator

Re: Could you make it up

Yea my white one had an intermittent speedo/odometer, I thought it was if I turned the key on and off too quickly. Was a pain in the arse, it'd take days sometimes to come back up.

Wouldn't have minded as I just used GPS for speed, but it took the fuel and temp gauges with it. At least the clock kept working!

Last edited by kenbw2 (2019-08-21 14:02:29)

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#3 2019-08-22 22:15:12

Firemoth

For reference, a back box isn't required at MOT. Not helpful now I know but thought it might be of interest. When I bought mine I saw on the mot history "back box missing" as an advisory. I thought surely it's a typo but sure enough when I went to view the car, no back box! Soon ordered and fitted one though because the fumes in the car were awful!

If in doubt, give it a clout!

#4 2019-08-24 12:00:05

vaz2121

kenbw2 wrote:

Yea my white one had an intermittent speedo/odometer, I thought it was if I turned the key on and off too quickly. Was a pain in the arse, it'd take days sometimes to come back up.

Wouldn't have minded as I just used GPS for speed, but it took the fuel and temp gauges with it. At least the clock kept working!

This will be the 3rd binnicle but the 4th bought for this Van....

Those symptoms sounds very much like the original binnicle that was in this..........
Although speedo and clock were about the only thing working by the time I changed it......

The second one I got arrived and all seemed fine I even had mileage corrected to the van............
That lasted about 2 or 3 yrs before it appeard to started acting up (The man that recalibrated this said they are pretty garbage binnicles)
I bought another and it was damaged in transit So wasn't fitted at last MOT (2018).............
This one when it arrived was about Octoberish I think and it sat about for a good couple weeks.........
I gave away this one I took out to a guy I know who's a gardner thinking it's about F..... It's better than nothing (Or what he's got) for him in his prefacelift van........
It's still working.............. and the replacement Ive put in less than a yr ago is starting to act up .............

Weird thing ............. Where's mileage stored because the one I had mileage corrected on is showing different now it's in another van and this one Ive got in now is adrift about 10 or 12,000 again..............

#5 2019-08-24 12:15:51

vaz2121

Firemoth wrote:

For reference, a back box isn't required at MOT. Not helpful now I know but thought it might be of interest. When I bought mine I saw on the mot history "back box missing" as an advisory. I thought surely it's a typo but sure enough when I went to view the car, no back box! Soon ordered and fitted one though because the fumes in the car were awful!

I didn't know that mabye if it's not there it can't be tested............
And I might have just got a pipe welded on pointing to floor as it wasn't any louder  {that I noticed}...........
It's done now.............

Same as yesterday when I was in again.......................
I asked when did rear wiper and reversing lights become testable to be told "It depends on age of car" and a whole lot of other Sh** that just means bigger headache/Heartache in years to come even if you renew your vehicle and keep up with things on it .............
(Although I didn't pay full attention It's really tightening up especially on emmisions/enviroment)

#6 2019-08-27 19:44:55

vaz2121

Here we go again ...........
Nearly a week ago{6 days} I got my MOT pass Ticket ...........

But today trundling Along the A745 out of Castle Douglas about at the top of the Glen dropping down towards Dalbeattie  I thought "That exhaust sounds Farty".........

At the bottom I all but jumped out of my Skin when the lights went green to go over bridge ..........

I now appear to be running "open header" as the weld from the down pipe into the silencer has failed and has no restriction..............

When was the last time with No exhaust basicly you tried to drive and not make a noise
What a pantomime it is to what appears to be the correct exhaust and if it's fitted with sleeve joint or beneli clamp and also if deisel cat is fitted or not and where........
As a new back box was fitted just to wait couple days (allegedly) for the rest to arrive and fitting kit .............
{just as well her 306 is handy}

Just my Luck I decided to keep Van another year

Board footer