The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-08-28 15:26:46

kikilamour

White smoke and loss of power

My 2006 Dispatch had a slight loss of power. Happened again within minutes then I went onto a crawl on the M5. Stopped on hard shoulder and tried to set off properly which js when I noticed the white smoke coming from the exhaust.

Recovery said it wasn't white steam but white smoke meaning unburnt fuel.

What could this mean?

I'm not flush at the moment as I'm returning to work after a short illness. This is the last thing I need. Just wanted an idea of it would be an expensive fix or not.

Thanks ?

ETA It's the 1.9 no turbo

Last edited by kikilamour (2021-08-29 03:23:50)

#2 2021-08-28 20:16:04

kenbw2

Re: White smoke and loss of power

Gonna be hard to know for sure, but unburned fuel sounds better than white steam, which would be coolant and therefore head gasket.

Is yours the 1.6, 1.9 or 2.0?

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion + full time home
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#3 2021-08-29 00:55:04

Pathfinder100

Boost pipe split most likely, if its got a turbo.  Get under the van and check all the hoses that go to the turbo.  One of them will be split somewhere.  It's probably the big one at the front.  Had the same on my Mondeo a couple of months back.  White smoke when RPM over 1500 with loss of power.

If it doesn't have a turbo, then I don't know.

#4 2021-08-29 01:20:59

kenbw2

Pathfinder100 wrote:

Boost pipe split most likely, if its got a turbo.  Get under the van and check all the hoses that go to the turbo.  One of them will be split somewhere.  It's probably the big one at the front.  Had the same on my Mondeo a couple of months back.  White smoke when RPM over 1500 with loss of power.

This sounds promising. Assumedly because the pump is injecting more fuel under boost, except the corresponding increase in air isn't being pumped in, therefore it runs rich, ergo unburned fuel out the back?

#5 2021-08-29 03:23:17

kikilamour

kenbw2 wrote:

Gonna be hard to know for sure, but unburned fuel sounds better than white steam, which would be coolant and therefore head gasket.

Is yours the 1.6, 1.9 or 2.0?

Mine is the 1.9 so no turbo

#6 2021-08-29 03:24:31

kikilamour

Pathfinder100 wrote:

If it doesn't have a turbo, then I don't know.

No turbo I'm afraid

#7 2021-08-29 15:15:33

kenbw2

Probaly someone else can come up with better suggestions, but I'd suggest a few basic checks:

Following from Pathfinder's suggestion of insufficient air, maybe take all the air pipes off, including the EGR and see if it revs alright in place (actually I wonder if this could be EGR related)

Take the two red arrow clips at the front off (the metal one is a bitch to get back on FYI). The EGR housing (the 4-way junction) will twist off anticlockwise iirc)

LVcHGTZ.jpg

Also check for head gasket in case it actually is steam. Check for oil in your coolant reservoir and mayo on the oil cap

Last edited by kenbw2 (2021-08-29 15:16:04)

#8 2021-09-01 06:14:47

vaz2121

I think if it's excess fuel how is it getting there  on a non turbo ... So no split boost pipes for shortage of air.............
What about Air filter ... Is it choked Are air passages clear etc.............
is it injectors.............

kenbw2 could be onto something with EGR relation as it has a butter fly incorperated to aid it's effectiveness [Within throttle body part was discussed on here previously] ... Is it gummed up and blocking air flow?...........

With a non turbo it's a fairly basic diesel ... KISS  keep it simple it probably is a simple problem? ...............
[Famous last words ... And how long is a bit of string] .......

#9 2021-09-01 18:46:29

Pathfinder100

So I don't have the non-turbo version.  If the smoke stinks of diesel, then check everything to do with air and fuel systems.  So hoses, sensors, etc.  Plug an OBD scanner in and find out the error code, then post it.  That will narrow it down a little.  If you have Diagbox or a decent scanner, then have a look at the sensors that control fuel and air input, look for weird voltages or no voltage when idling and when revving the engine. Check all the hoses between the airbox and engine/EGR for splits and holes.

Make a list of everything you've checked.  Then post it.  Then the experts on here will know what you've done and be able to suggest other things to check.

vaz2121 wrote:

KISS  keep it simple it probably is a simple problem? ...............
[Famous last words ... And how long is a bit of string] .......

From past experience and especially when it comes to diesel engines, the KISS principle does not apply.  A diesel engine can never be simple.  A petrol engine on the other hand is easy to diagnose and fix.  if its fuel related, only a finite number of things can be wrong and all are simple to check.  On a diesel engine it's like opening Pandoras Box. tongue

#10 2021-09-03 13:17:26

vaz2121

Pathfinder100 wrote:

the KISS principle does not apply.  A diesel engine can never be simple.  A petrol engine on the other hand is easy to diagnose and fix.  if its fuel related, only a finite number of things can be wrong and all are simple to check.  On a diesel engine it's like opening Pandoras Box. tongue

I'm afraid I obviously disagree............

Both are just engines that work on similar principles and both pretty much require 3 things in normal  guise to work.............

"A petrol engine need fuel, timing and compresion with spark" ....................
"A Diesel engine needs fuel, timing and compresion with No Spark" as it relies on heat of the compressed  air .....................

Suck ... squeeze ... bang ... blow ...........

undoubtedly it's down to perception and what your used to working with ..............

#11 2021-09-03 17:07:13

JohnDragonMan
Website

old mechanical diesels for the win. that is simple! meh old engines in general to be fair. being a mechanic back in my grandads era must have been damn easy money. plenty of engine bay space.. every engine is pretty much the same when it comes to fuelling and air induction.. and most of all. no bloody computers or sensors!

- JohnDragonMan
Notice: I have the tendency to void warranties, blow fuses, cause fires, and other fun stuff.
Words of wisdom: Internally rust proof the sills and subframe! both skins!!. There's always user serviceable parts inside. "Oh that shouldn't have happened".
My Crazy Mk2 2005 Dispatch Camper Project big_smile

#12 2021-09-03 19:19:55

BlantyreBotanicals
Website

vaz2121 wrote:
Pathfinder100 wrote:

the KISS principle does not apply.  A diesel engine can never be simple.  A petrol engine on the other hand is easy to diagnose and fix.  if its fuel related, only a finite number of things can be wrong and all are simple to check.  On a diesel engine it's like opening Pandoras Box. tongue

undoubtedly it's down to perception and what your used to working with ..............

That's for her to see and for you to imagine. And I'd prefer not to know what she's used to working with. I'd imagine it might either give me an inferiority complex else give me a big head to match the ego.  tongue

Last edited by BlantyreBotanicals (2021-09-03 19:20:33)

Peugeot Expert 1.9D, 2005 (55)
Peugeot 207 1.4 Sport, 2010 (59)
We're on the Web! : Blantyre Botanicals [The Bot Factory Ltd] : View our Facebook page

#13 2021-09-06 01:08:59

Stu-D
Website

Black smoke is normally unmetered air/boost leak, or has that been covered? lol TLDR :-P

Last edited by Stu-D (2021-09-06 01:11:08)

#14 2021-09-06 01:20:56

Pathfinder100

vaz2121 wrote:
Pathfinder100 wrote:

I'm afraid I obviously disagree............

Both are just engines that work on similar principles and both pretty much require 3 things in normal  guise to work.............

"A petrol engine need fuel, timing and compresion with spark" ....................
"A Diesel engine needs fuel, timing and compresion with No Spark" as it relies on heat of the compressed  air .....................

Very true. 

Admittedly non turbo diesels are a lot less complicated than turbo versions, but all the ones I've ever come across still had a lot of computer controlled things on them, apart from maybe the old tractor type engines from yesteryear, that didn't.

For me I just find it so much easier to troubleshoot a petrol engine.  i guess with having had several motorbikes as well its just what i'm used to.  Where as most people on here seem to have quite extensive experience with diesels and especially the non turbo version of these vans. 

I kind of wish i'd picked up a non turbo 1.9.  At the time I got mine I had several possibles that were viable.  But c'est la vie.  smile

#15 2021-09-06 01:27:38

Stu-D
Website

I kind of wish i'd picked up a non turbo 1.9.  At the time I got mine I had several possibles that were viable.  But c'est la vie.  smile

Swap you a turbo for a non turbo? LoL, diesels are so simple compare to petrol, seriously lol.

#16 2021-09-07 17:33:32

vaz2121

Pathfinder100 wrote:

Very true. 

Admittedly non turbo diesels are a lot less complicated than turbo versions, but all the ones I've ever come across still had a lot of computer controlled things on them, apart from maybe the old tractor type engines from yesteryear, that didn't.

For me I just find it so much easier to troubleshoot a petrol engine.  i guess with having had several motorbikes as well its just what i'm used to.  Where as most people on here seem to have quite extensive experience with diesels and especially the non turbo version of these vans. 

Your not wrong as I have undoutedly a few years on you ... it's your experiences you've learned from............
{If you wait for someone to teach you the best you can do is learn what they know}................
As I've said elsewhere "Opinions are just great ... If it's not yours It's wrong...........................

I've also had something of an affair with motorcycles I passed my test for them in early 1977 [Mostly touring with them over the years and still have two] I was as usual late to the party as got my car license in 1975 and a Class one HGV in 1979 and went self employed with trucks in late 1989.............
Hence a mile or two with diesels  ... Averaged over 100,000 Miles a year since 1981 and gave up about a year or two before this virus lockdown thing..........

P.S. Stick with a turbo diesel but with as little electronic intervention as possible ............kenbw2 and OAT style for a calmer experience...............
Or as the Yanks call it a new Glider and fit an old tech as new refurb engine...................

#17 2021-09-08 19:44:04

OAT

vaz2121 wrote:

P.S. Stick with a turbo diesel but with as little electronic intervention as possible ............kenbw2 and OAT style for a calmer experience...............

Thank you.  I am quite fond of my "old tractor type engine from yesteryear".  wink

Even that though has far more complicated plumbing than I can deal with.

Things were so much simpler then.  (and not just diesels!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSPIFh2icKs

Board footer