The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-05 04:08:22

Pathfinder100

Possible DIY Awning

So i don't really have a lot of funds at the minute and really want to add an awning to my van, so i have been thinking about it a fair bit the last month or so.  Well i was in Aldi the other night and spotted a twin pack of 3m x 2m tarps for £8.  So I thought to myself if I get 3 packs could I make a 3m x 2m DIY awning that would cover all doors on the side of the van.  The answer I think is yes.

I have enough tarps to make a 3m x 2m awning and I intend to use poles from a gazebo to provide the frame (unless anyone has a better idea).  Given its a heavy duty tarp it should be water proof by default.  I will attach it to an awning rail on the van and use A3 size clear plastic panels to create some windows to let light in.  The front will have zips on both sides so it can be rolled up.  I intend to have a floor built in to it as well as the sides and possibly a back cover to stop any wind that might blow under the van.

When i start work on it I will post up some pictures of each stage.  I am probably going to glue the pieces together with stixall and sew the zips and awning rail insert to it, although if I could create something a bit more modular that would be better.

It will get replaced with an outdoor Revolution Cayman or Vango Galli somewhere down the line, maybe next year. But for now a way to extend my living area a little would be nice.

#2 2021-09-07 16:51:26

vaz2121

Re: Possible DIY Awning

There has been one or two threads on here about Diy awnings etc ...........

I used a sort of tent style lighter weight fabric than a tarp {It did get flappy in a breeze} ..........
It was more used more as a sunshade and attached to [initialy] van using a combination of bungy cords and carabiners ...........

On the roofrack mounts screw holes on Van roof I got some eyelets with right sized threads and fitted them ............{I dear say you could do something with unistrut up there}
I now have some awning rail fabric sewn on to the ripstop type fabric use that along with the adjustable gazebo poles guy ropes etc......

This makes life easier as before it became a PITA  to use/set up but needs must.......

#3 2021-09-09 15:54:07

Pathfinder100

Re: Possible DIY Awning

I'm only really looking to use it through this winter.  Come next summer I really want an Outdoor Revolution Cayman, the one that will take an annex, so when i'm abroad I can sleep outside the van, or if any of my family come walkabout with me, they have somewhere to sleep.  I just need a stop gap for this winter that will take a battering (weather wise) and not let me down.

Mounting wise I will be using an awning rail.  i bought one long ago, I plan to place it on the other side of the roof bar mounts, so i can use the tarp when I have the bars on.  The awning rail inserts are pretty cheap so was planning on glueing them to a 3m side of the tarp, then stitching over if needed.  It would be nice if the sides were more modular so i could use it as a sun shelter when warm or put the sides and floor in when its more foul.  I haven't really thought massively about it so far.  Until i finish the insides its a backburner task. smile

Board footer