The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-08-24 12:36:00

BlantyreBotanicals
Website

Where does EGR hose go?

Hi - this is just a quick post to ask if anyone knows where the 2nd hose from the EGR valve goes to?

I have removed, blocked and put back in place the hose that comes down from the top, by the water coolant tank, to the inner on the valve (right) next to the dipstick, but I am unsure which other hose I am to block.

I have found what I think is the hose - on the opposite side (left) of the EGR valve to the dipstick  - however the instructions/picture in the EGR valve fix thread are not totally clear for this 2nd hose, and I don't want to block the wrong one!

The pipe I identifies goes from the left of egr to somewhere at the right of thr vehicle close to the battery (it terminates next to the other end of the right hand hose next to the one I already blocked, that comes down from the solenoid)

EDIT- sorry for double post. I deleted second one. Trust me to use browser back button

Last edited by BlantyreBotanicals (2021-08-24 12:43:27)

Peugeot Expert 1.9D, 2005 (55)
Peugeot 207 1.4 Sport, 2010 (59)
We're on the Web! : Blantyre Botanicals [The Bot Factory Ltd] : View our Facebook page

#2 2021-08-24 12:48:03

BlantyreBotanicals
Website

Re: Where does EGR hose go?

I've read other sources that suggest I only need to block the feed from the solenoid, which I have done. What added benefit is there in blocking the other pipe? They both go to the EGR, granted, but if the vacuum pump is blocked, won't that be job done? Thanks and thanks for putting up with noob questions

We're on the Web! : Blantyre Botanicals [The Bot Factory Ltd] : View our Facebook page

#3 2021-08-24 13:52:03

BlantyreBotanicals
Website

I like answering my own questions. Okay so now that it's light outside, I could see better ?

This is the one that I already blocked, coming from the solenoid to the right of the egr valve. Next to the dipstick.
https://ibb.co/WDMDXp7
20210824-133855.jpg

The second one, from the left and underneath the egr (my fingers are pointing at it in these pictures)  actually connects to the same place as the other pipe (waste vacuum?) from the solenoid!

So, follow this one...
https://ibb.co/rxbHhqY
20210824-133900.jpg

And then follow the one beneath it... this is near the battery (the first image viewed.from the right side of vehicle, and the second is the same viewed from the front)
20210824-133842.jpg

This is the one I also blocked (the bottom one - the top one is the one you just followed from the solenoid).

If you trace this bottom one back to the EGR, you will see it terminates at the EGR, underneath on the left side ? easy days...
20210824-133819.jpg

Last edited by BlantyreBotanicals (2021-08-24 13:56:38)

#4 2021-08-24 14:37:53

BlantyreBotanicals
Website

First impression after 5 miles...seems much quieter!!

#5 2021-08-24 21:58:12

BlantyreBotanicals
Website

Got home. Did a 20-30 mile round trip all in.

Definately quieter but cannot comment on efficiency as yet..  im now noticing a whooshing noise when hard steering right (moving wheel either direction before and after full lock). It wasn't doing this before, unless I couldn't hear it before. The breaks are making a noise also - it's not a metallic grind, but not completely unlike that noise.

Does messing with the vacuums affect the brakes or power steering? I'm guessing there's more power available on the system now I've blocked two of the pipes that use the vacuum pump.

Cheers

#6 2021-08-24 22:42:16

kenbw2

I always joke that I notice my steering is lighter when I have work done on the van, even if it's work on the rear axle or something. I'm guessing there's a lot to be said for noticing new things when you're listening for changes.

That said I wonder if the vacuum being linked to the brake servo could be a factor. I doubt it for the power steering though, that's nothing to do with the vacuum system.

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion + full time home
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#7 2021-08-24 23:29:13

BlantyreBotanicals
Website

I guess the noise when steering could also be brake related, since it was only at slow.speeds I noticed it, with foot hovering on or around brake.

#8 2021-09-09 01:02:50

GRIFFIN

Hi all,

Ok it's real simple, just pull the two rubber pipes off the EGR valve and block them with a couple of m6 bolts, this will stop any vacuum leaks. No need to do anything else at all. It won't do anything to your brakes or steering but it will fix your EGR problems. You may also want to take off your EGR valve and give it a clean out with some brake cleaner and a brush or cloth. This is just because it may be blocked up with black shite if its been playing up for a while.

Cheers, Griff.

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same

#9 2021-09-12 14:44:33

BlantyreBotanicals
Website

GRIFFIN wrote:

Hi all,

Ok it's real simple, just pull the two rubber pipes off the EGR valve and block them with a couple of m6 bolts, this will stop any vacuum leaks. No need to do anything else at all. It won't do anything to your brakes or steering but it will fix your EGR problems. You may also want to take off your EGR valve and give it a clean out with some brake cleaner and a brush or cloth. This is just because it may be blocked up with black shite if its been playing up for a while.

Cheers, Griff.

You do know it's one hydraulic system, and one vacuum system, don't you? They all use the same vacuum, which as you connect and disconnect different systems to it will increase or decrease the overall load.

So I've blocked my EGR hoses, as you can see from the images above, which means the vacuum in the remainder of the system will be that bit stronger. I couldn't say what affect that will have l the rest of the system, probably none of us do, hence my caution warning and monitoring these things.

Yes it might make me over cautious. But better that than dead in a ditch cos the van didn't stop...

#10 2021-09-12 17:31:42

AlvyLad

@BlantyreBotanicals
Yes mate, have been through all that myself recently
https://dispatchexpertscudo.org.uk/foru … id=715&p=2

#11 2021-09-13 00:27:43

GRIFFIN

Hmmmm,

The vacuum pipes that go onto the EGR valve do not suck air in all the time. They apply vacuum to an actuating mechanism to open a piston type valve and/or close a butterfly type valve. Once the respective valves are open or closed, that's it. No air is sucked into the system as such, so blocking off the pipes can't increase or decrease the effect of the vacuum on another component.

If the brakes or steering are not working, there is a fault within those systems which should be checked out. I've disconnected the EGR vacuum pipes on both of my vans and blocked them with M6 bolts and have not had any problems with any other systems. When I first disconnected the pipes from the EGR, I didn't even block them up and my brakes didn't have any problems at all.

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same

Board footer