The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-07 10:51:42

tee_cee

Wheel alignment

Firstly, had the cambelt replaced a few weeks ago, and I suggested that maybe the sub-frame had been removed, which would mean that the wheel alignment would need to be checked. The response was that they do not have the kit, and would always recommend alignment is carried out after any major work...except they hadn't mentioned it. Anyway I was getting new tyres so I was going to have the alignment done at the same time.
With the alignment you get a nice printed sheet with toe, camber, castor etc. - figures all over the place. Then it turns out the only adjustments that can be made is to the toe on the front wheel. They had adjusted this because it was out, and then mumbled something about "see how it goes" and "bring it back if there is a problem".
I was only driving about town,and all was ok, until I headed off on a road trip a few days ago. So after arriving in France I get a beep and an orange light to say there was a fault with electronic steering program (ESP), and it was now disabled. After a restart the light goes out, but comes on again after 10-15 miles.
Got my diagbox out and read the fault, which was with the steering angle sensor. This was showing the steering wheel to be 18deg to the left, when I know I was doing a straight line. Looking at the steering wheel, it is indeed turned to the left when the wheel are straight ahead.

Back into diagbox, and was was able to re-calibrate the sensor so that it reads zero deg when the wheels are straight ahead. In the dialog it even states that the sensor should be recalibrated when the toe is changed.
Hopefully that will sort it out for now, until I get it back for alignment again.

#2 2024-03-09 17:35:21

roopid

Re: Wheel alignment

I don't know how ESP affects things, but mechanically the issue is that you should have an exactly equal number of turns to the left and right of straight ahead, otherwise your CV joints can be over-articulated at full lock to one side.

In the days of splined steering column and wheel, it was possible to get the wheel at the wrong angle, but on my MK2 it only goes on in one position. So I just want the tracking set straight ahead when the wheel is straight and I'm hoping KwikFit can't get that wrong, because I haven't had it checked adjusted yet.

Roops

#3 2024-03-09 19:53:32

tee_cee

With the esp disabled, and trying do a hill start on an icy road, the abs came on full. The van stalled. Restarting enabled it it again and I was able to move. So more imprtant than I thought.
Just so pissed off that the garage sent me off knowing that they had not reset the sensor, for whatever reason.

#4 2024-03-09 20:28:18

roopid

Ugh! Automation like that we could do without!

Board footer