The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-13 10:26:26

woodbine

Speedo, Odometer & trip Meter Stopped Working.

I was driving down the M4 on Monday on way to Portsmouth to get the ferry to France. Having a little trip for 2 or 3 weeks, just me and the Scudo. Anyway, I was only 28.7 miles from home (I zeroed the trip meter when I left, that's how I know the exact mileage it all went wrong  smile ) when the speedo, odo and trip meter suddenly stopped working.

The speedo needle does nothing, just sits at zero MPH. The odo still displays mileage, but is frozen at the mileage at time of malfunction and doesn't register any more miles. Same with trip meter, stuck at the mileage when it all went wrong.

I'm no expert, so would appreciate any pointers as to what may be wrong. Is it the speedo that's at fault, or whatever sends the info from engine/gearbox to register speed and mileage? How do I tell which is at fault? Thanks for any help.

(Luckily my sat nav has a speed readout, so I know what speed I'm doing while in France as I got a ticket on my December visit. Suppose for the purposes of my trip the sat nav's speed is better as it's in KMH, whereas you can only really see MPH on the van's speedo. So no big problem, but will need fixing when I'm back.)

Last edited by woodbine (2024-03-13 10:28:04)

Fiat Scudo 2004 (54) 2.0 Jtd SX Dynamic Van

#2 2024-03-13 13:48:13

roopid

Re: Speedo, Odometer & trip Meter Stopped Working.

My first thought is that the sensor (wherever it is--I haven't found mine yet) is going to be more vulnerable to weather and physical damage. So I'd check for corroded or broken wiring near the sensor, then if that doesn't show anything I'd try another sensor.

The good news is that, when everything fails at once, that's usually a sign of a simple fault :-)

Roops

#3 2024-03-13 19:38:06

tee_cee

Just curiious about your speeding ticket. Was it a mobile patrol that stopped you?

#4 2024-03-13 20:59:14

kenbw2
Administrator

My speedo did this, but the odometer and trip meter continued incrementing. Obviously a fault with the dashboard itself.

That said, mine's an old school one with no ECU, so I can't rule out a computer problem.

I'm with roopid

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#5 2024-03-13 22:43:22

woodbine

roopid wrote:

My first thought is that the sensor (wherever it is--I haven't found mine yet) is going to be more vulnerable to weather and physical damage. So I'd check for corroded or broken wiring near the sensor, then if that doesn't show anything I'd try another sensor.

The good news is that, when everything fails at once, that's usually a sign of a simple fault :-)

Roops

Thanks for your reply, Roopid. Good that you think it is a simple fault. Does sound like the sensor as all info for speed and mileage must come from it. Will check wiring to sensor and also get some contact cleaner on the plug and socket. Bit of Googling and couple of people reckon it's a mare to get to on top of diff housing, needing a ramp. Don't know if true.

One other thing I noticed is a bit of very subtle hesitancy and jerking in low gears/speeds - bit like fuel starvation. This started same time as speedo quit. Poss the sensor also sends info to ECU to help with fueling, etc to engine. Would make sense as the ECU is poss not getting this info any more.

#6 2024-03-13 22:47:57

woodbine

tee_cee wrote:

Just curiious about your speeding ticket. Was it a mobile patrol that stopped you?

No, never seen police doing speed checks. Was a sneaky fixed Gatso type somewhere near Dordogne/Limousin border. Sat nav poss warned me, but was rushing to get north so blundered on without noticing anything. First thing I knew was a 45 Euro fine through post as I was only just over.

#7 2024-03-13 22:52:25

woodbine

kenbw2 wrote:

My speedo did this, but the odometer and trip meter continued incrementing. Obviously a fault with the dashboard itself.

That said, mine's an old school one with no ECU, so I can't rule out a computer problem.

I'm with roopid

Yes, if just the speedo I would be thinking it's at fault. But as three different things went at once plus a bit of engine hesitancy that started same time - duff sensor or wiring fault seems most likely.

How did you remedy yours, Ken?

#8 2024-03-14 11:38:46

tee_cee

woodbine wrote:
tee_cee wrote:

No, never seen police doing speed checks. Was a sneaky fixed Gatso type somewhere near Dordogne/Limousin border. Sat nav poss warned me, but was rushing to get north so blundered on without noticing anything. First thing I knew was a 45 Euro fine through post as I was only just over.

A bit worrying. I thought that post brexit there was no eu access to UK vehicle reg details.

#9 2024-03-14 20:05:34

kenbw2
Administrator

tee_cee wrote:

A bit worrying. I thought that post brexit there was no eu access to UK vehicle reg details.

I've definitely not not got flashed by cameras in Germany and heard nothing back (both Pre and Post-Brexit)   angel

#10 2024-03-14 20:06:25

kenbw2
Administrator

woodbine wrote:

You assume I did  roll I have a separate external one now

#11 2024-03-14 22:41:39

woodbine

tee_cee wrote:
woodbine wrote:
tee_cee wrote:

Last trip when I got speeding fine I had a hire car from Bergerac. So French authorities got my info from hire company in France.

This trip I've taken the Scudo as the hire car cost really adds up, especially as I extended trip several times. Much nicer having my own vehicle on this trip. Plus if I pick up a ticket, maybe I'll get off Scot free.

#12 2024-03-14 22:43:23

woodbine

kenbw2 wrote:
tee_cee wrote:

I've definitely not not got flashed by cameras in Germany and heard nothing back (both Pre and Post-Brexit)   angel

Same here, in Dortmund in Nov 2021. Never heard a thing from Gerrys.

#13 2024-03-14 22:44:28

woodbine

kenbw2 wrote:
woodbine wrote:

You assume I did  roll I have a separate external one now

wink

#14 2024-03-15 14:54:06

tee_cee

woodbine wrote:
tee_cee wrote:
woodbine wrote:

Last trip when I got speeding fine I had a hire car from Bergerac. So French authorities got my info from hire company in France.

This trip I've taken the Scudo as the hire car cost really adds up, especially as I extended trip several times. Much nicer having my own vehicle on this trip. Plus if I pick up a ticket, maybe I'll get off Scot free.

Thanks, that makes sense.

Board footer