The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-16 19:08:10

Axelfols

Dillema

This is long drawn out story, so bear with me. I've owned my MK1 1997 Scudo for 20 odd years and for the past 8 years its sat on my drive. Originally it was a work horse for my electrical contracting business so its had light use throughout its life and had everything done to it as required as the years rolled by, including regular servicing and maintance. Just after i took it off the road i fitted new factory steel wheels and tyres, new clutch, exhaust and oil sump to name but a few. its been Lanoguarded annually as its festered every winter.  Originally the plan was to convert it to a day van which i started a few years ago. Its had the original front seat and bench seat replaced with Peugeot captains swivel seats, a retrimmed taxi bulkhead with spotlighting along with sound proofing and insulation. So i thought i'd get back to the project and asked a mobile mechanic to give it a pre MOT once over. Heres his list.

Coolant refill and check it would be £75 (additional work may be required)
Washer jet in block £0
Power steering pipe £164.99
Drive shaft oil seal £63.66 (G-box oil £30.49)
Front to rear brake pipes £127.95
Front pads and discs £147.57
Clean adjust brakes £50
Brake pressure comp £158.89 (may require additional parts)
OSF Brake pipe £50
OSF Brake flexi £49.99
OSF Track rod end £69.99

My dillema is, what to do next? Sell ot or scrap it?

The sills (inner and outer) and the subframe are sound as it was regulary cleaned underneath during its working life. Any advice would be appreciated.

#2 2024-03-16 19:23:32

roopid

Re: Dillema

Hmm... tricky. I'm out of touch with prices, but any diesel that runs well and has an MOT seems to be worth more than you'd expect if it was made before the mid-2000s, because there's no DPF to clog and cause sudden engine failures.

Roughly £1,000 to have a working van. I paid just over £2,000 for my 2009 Mk2 and it's needed a load of work doing just in the first month (doing all the work myself, so far). If you have a use for a van, it might be worth it?

You won't get much for scrap--maybe £100 to £200 tops? On the other hand, it may be hard work to sell with a list of defects.

Roops

#3 2024-03-16 20:17:01

AlvyLad

All and none could be or not spotted at a different MOT center, that £40-55 would be nothing to get better opinion on what REALY needs be done
Scrapping?- nonsense...

If you can get any use out of it, repairs in total wouldn't go over £500- no brainer! especially if chassis is good for no rust.

And as @Roops says MK2 onwards is equally bad as Traffic etc for repairs that normally are at least fivefold of the costs of MK1 repairs

Last edited by AlvyLad (2024-03-16 20:18:01)

#4 2024-03-16 20:23:31

kenbw2
Administrator

Yea that seems quite a list, but I'm with Roops - £1000 won't buy you much of a van these days (AlvyLad can attest to this)

If you want a working van, it's well worth £1000 to get it up to snuff

I'd also be interested to see how strict this guy is. Sounds like a very thorough check...

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#5 2024-03-17 22:13:58

Casper

Sod the Pre MOT waste of money just get it in for a real MOT and a real fail sheet so you know exact what you need to spend. What side of town are you at? I used to go down to Scots garage at the Musselburgh end of Milton Road. He wont pass shite and will only fail you if something is dangerous so all the trivial jobs tend to get mentioned as an advisory.

#6 2024-03-18 01:00:09

kenbw2
Administrator

Casper wrote:

Sod the Pre MOT waste of money just get it in for a real MOT and a real fail sheet so you know exact what you need to spend. What side of town are you at? I used to go down to Scots garage at the Musselburgh end of Milton Road. He wont pass shite and will only fail you if something is dangerous so all the trivial jobs tend to get mentioned as an advisory.

Yea I imagine a Pre-MOT is gonna be more strict because "this failed and you said it wouldn't!". Ain't nobody gonna complain about "you said this would fail and it passed" so they're gonna err on the side of caution

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#7 2024-03-18 01:24:00

Casper

kenbw2 wrote:
Casper wrote:

Yea I imagine a Pre-MOT is gonna be more strict because "this failed and you said it wouldn't!". Ain't nobody gonna complain about "you said this would fail and it passed" so they're gonna err on the side of caution

Plus the what a waste of money factor. 55 quid for a class 4 MOT. How much for a mobile mechanic who i very much doubt can do MOT's. Nah, Never did a pre MOT in my almost 38 years of driving. Just get the bugger in and fix the fail sheet withing the time period and jobs a good un

Board footer