The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-01-25 20:32:56

Pathfinder100

Selling my van - On hold for a bit

So I had a mechanic do a paper MOT on my van, after the exhaust issues.  I wanted to know how much the next MOT and repairs bill was going to be.  It wasn't low. sad  So it's going on ebay probably.  My question is do I put it on as a part conversion or partially strip it and sell it as a van? 

So FTR, for anyone wondering the repair cost was probably about £800ish all in, which isn't money I have available (nor would I care to spend on a van I bought for £1200).  Half of that was labour.  Parts wise, it's basically an exhaust, brake lines, back bushes and the pattern on one headlight wasn't correct.  Emissions test passed and brake check passed.

Bad points are basically the repairs and the gearbox while working is not ideal and has the grinding sound issue if you don't hold it in gear through 1-3 (and reverse), but no issue in 4 and 5.  Clutch seems fine.  Power steering is leaking, but not from the boots, somewhere else on the system.

It has one month left before MOT.

It's a 2006 HDi Expert.  Has a 100w panel, LB, charger and VSR.  Gas cooker that runs on screw top gas canisters.  Bed and mattress.  Timing belt was done a couple of years back, I had a thread running on here regarding it.  Engine is fine and probably might suit as a replacement.

What would you list it as and how much?

Last edited by Pathfinder100 (2024-02-10 02:56:51)

Peugeot Expert 2006 2.0 Hdi 110 RHZ / DW10BTED+ 5 Speed Manual

#2 2024-01-25 22:23:31

AlvyLad

Re: Selling my van - On hold for a bit

"how long is the string" thingy...
From what you explained - 800 notes is very reasonable for the work need be done, I'm in (or was) very much after the vehicle like it... Slowly growing and accepting, just not for me, no longer. Turns out they do get very troublesome once they start going wrong and eternally expensive to repair
Your Q? - how much for... I'd say stick it for a 900, be reasonably honest and most likely you'll get a plonker to take it off your hands (like me), but I've found few as low as 600, with many unknowns in it, but list of troubles for a new owner is literally draw of a luck, if one buys those. If someone is keen, but makes you an offer- take it, but I, at least- changed my mind about MK2 vehicles, as if they are worth what owners think they are.

My $0.02ct on it, if it matters. wink

Last edited by AlvyLad (2024-01-25 22:29:12)

#3 2024-01-26 02:40:11

Pathfinder100

Thanks.

It's been good to me in terms of repair bills up until now.  Averaging about £320 each year when it got MOT's, but this year it seems to be going a bit further.  If I had a pit, I could probably do the exhaust, but it's a nightmare to get under it that far while lying down and i'm not exactly thin either.  Same with other things.  Fun part is I have the bushes, the discs (that weren't flagged up but were last year), probably other things as well, some oil filters and I have some other bits for it in boxes that i have no clue what they are.  But for a semi competent person with a decent workshop and either a pit or lift, it's probably only a few hours of work.  Sadly I don't have a decent workshop, nor the pit or lift. 

It's been a learning experience.  Probably won't get another van though, thinking a big car next time.  Something unaffected by LEZ crap that seems to be hitting every city.  Maybe an Alhambra or Galaxy, but not modern, something without extensive electronics, so an 06 or earlier. smile

#4 2024-01-26 17:50:18

OAT

I would defiantly list as a basic camper.  Hopefully the "vanlife" craze is starting to abate but I still think there is a premium for cheap campers.  Unless you think it worthwhile to sell on any camper bits first.

Anyone wanting it for a bit of work could soon clear it out.

#5 2024-01-27 13:45:03

kenbw2
Administrator

I sold my white one as a "part converted camper" when I took out the things I wanted to keep and left in the carpets, insulation etc. Can't say how much it changed things but I told it for more than the asking price

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#6 2024-01-27 15:39:56

Pathfinder100

OAT wrote:

I would defiantly list as a basic camper.  Hopefully the "vanlife" craze is starting to abate but I still think there is a premium for cheap campers.  Unless you think it worthwhile to sell on any camper bits first.

Anyone wanting it for a bit of work could soon clear it out.

Yeah it will be going on as that.  It is basically a Day Van.  Has solar capability, VSR, battery in the back and a couple of USB ports.  Double gas hobs that run from screw on cartridges (not the spray can type).  Never did get as far as the diesel heater and the vent on the roof came to an untimely end on a barrier, but is now a porthole window (was a temporary thing made from a Haribo tub lid that ended up being permanent).  Obviously a bed and mattress.  Porta Potti 365 (the one with the big tank). Sink. Some extra bulkhead lights.  Even put an awning rail on the outside, but the awning didn't work out so well. There is an 8.5mm cable running from the electrics area to the other side of the van that was earmarked for the diesel heater, that i thought of trying to remove, but since I put it in I stuffed a ton of bubble wrap into every channel and I had a tug on it and no joy, so it can stay in.  tongue

I swapped the MPPT out for a PWM controller a bit back, because a 30A MPPT on a 100W panel is like overkill.  I had some issues with the VB so moved the solar charging cable to the other side of the VSR to try and keep the VB topped up.  Theoretically it should produce enough voltage to open the VSR, but so far doesn't seem to, so maybe the float voltage is set below 13.7V on the PWM or I have too much of a loss on the cable (it was 16AWG between VB and LB, plus the voltage drop calcs were negligible).  It seems to be working anyway and the display on the PWM reckoned it was over 13V yesterday.

Yeah i will be putting it on as a basic camper.  It is a basic camper and has been used that way.  One of the original bad points was the vent on the roof (especially in winter).  Since losing it and adding all the bubble wrap the warmth factor in the back went up considerably.

I even have the old bulkhead if someone wanted it.  Never got rid of it. big_smile

#7 2024-02-10 02:55:41

Pathfinder100

So after some contemplation and well I finely priced up the work, then worked out what i could do myself, I decided to do what I can myself repairs wise.  Try and get the van through MOT, then sell it towards summer.  TBH, by the time I sorted half a dozen things out I was three weeks from end of MOT, so it's no longer viable.

So the exhaust completely snapped.  I found another exhaust with cat for even cheaper than the £120 one.  Ebay says yes to my van, but it doesn't say type approved.  But the advert says in the notes suitable for vans up to 2006.  If it is a go, then it's half the price of the other one.  I also need the middle section and thats another £60 and a mounting kit for the front section. 

Has anyone done an exhaust swap themselves?  I had a look at it and it looks like two bolts on the engine side, but there isn't a lot of clearance to work with.  There is a steel plate with about 8 bolts in it that might be removable, but no idea what it is or what is on the other side of it.  I'm going to try and work out some way of getting the van higher off the ground.  But if not I might get the parts and get someone else to fit them.  It really is a job for someone with a pit or lift.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/296083419477

The other jobs are basically replace the back brake lines and a bush job.  I think John mentioned some time back that to get at the bushes it was best to remove the brake lines, so I will probably do that and do everything all at once.  I might also change the piston/calipers inside the rear drums as they were a touch rusted when I looked a few months back, but still working fine.

#8 2024-02-10 22:43:38

kenbw2
Administrator

I've replaced the exhuast, it's not a bad job at all. Jack it up, axle stands, plenty of clearance. it's just the bolts around the clamps at the join, rubber mounts and it's off

Are you doing just the middle section or also the back box?

#9 2024-02-11 05:25:41

Pathfinder100

All of it most likely.  The whole thing fell apart the other night, so this will be a job for this coming week.  I need to grab the whole thing this week. Bare minimum I need the front and middle sections.  Technically i think the back box is fine, but I need to see what sort of a pain it will be to remove it from the middle section.  If not I will get a new one.  The previous owner had the middle section welded to the cat and it snapped just by the cat, so it's a no go to reweld.  For the money it will cost, I will sort it all out.  I just wish the sellers on ebay would be a bit more upfront about which one I need.  I think the cat section will cost £120, but it seems like there are several variants.  The cheapest one I think is not type approved, although it doesn't say it isn't in the ad and it matches with my vehicle. neutral

Are there supposed to be any rubber mounts on the front section?  On mine I don't have any and i think that contributed a lot to why it snapped.  But at the same time I can't see anywhere on that section to put a rubber.

#10 2024-02-17 06:48:19

Pathfinder100

The cat/front section arrived.  It doesn't look anything like the old one.  Until i get the old one off I won't know if the hole and mount is the same, but ebay fitment reckoned it was, but another seller recommended a £240 front section.  This one is a Euroflo, part number ECCN1057TA, I gues TA = type approved and from everything I looked at is designed for Citroen, Peugeot and Scudo 2.0 HDI's from the years 2001 to 2006.

Next comes finding the middle section.  I can't find a matching Euroflo part for the middle at the minute.  So I found the part number.  It is EXCN3010.  Also the page on the EuroFlo site, in case it is helpful to someone else.

http://www.euroflo-uk.com/Catalogue/Peu … stems.aspx

The fitting kit should arrive next week for the front section.

What's the best way to do it.  Attach the cat, then do the middle section?  Or do the front and middle section then attach?  It looks like the back section has to go over the rear axle, so guessing that has to be done separately.

Last edited by Pathfinder100 (2024-02-17 07:00:26)

#11 2024-02-17 15:31:02

kenbw2
Administrator

Pathfinder100 wrote:

What's the best way to do it.  Attach the cat, then do the middle section?  Or do the front and middle section then attach?  It looks like the back section has to go over the rear axle, so guessing that has to be done separately.

I can't speak for the cat section as mine have never had that. But the rear one can be done separately. Just don't pull it too hard like I did, and split the brake lines   roll

#12 2024-02-17 17:39:44

AlvyLad

Can't remember if I had talked about this enough
https://dispatchexpertscudo.org.uk/foru … hp?id=1637
When different configuration exhausts do end up having different mounting points AND CAT's being different temp rating (Euro 3 or Euro 4 or even Euro 3, but of lower catalisation temp (past expansion box))

Dzs5VPK.png

B78fO7j.png

I had a half a nightmare with it all, but one thing you got right to use same make exhaust, as nonsense of OEM parts being different get interpreted by different manufacturers the way they like it... cheaper section 1- so be it, 2'nd section being cheaper of a different variant?- so be it...

ANYONE says 2001-2005 exhausts are all the same- don't have a clue what it really is

See how it goes, once you are at it, just make sure to replace "rubbers" with the right rubbers (where it's specified to have nylon strap- got to use exactly it), they aren't just for the looks, even from distance they might look almost identical.

Last edited by AlvyLad (2024-02-17 19:27:04)

#13 2024-02-17 20:16:40

Pathfinder100

I did read your thread AlvyLad.  This is also the first time I have ever swapped an exhaust.  I did kind of work on the fact that once you pick a manufacturer you should get everything from them.  Thankfully the back box on the Euroflo diagram is pretty much the same as the back box I currently have including mount points.  The middle section also looks the same.  Yes it's a Euro 3, so no problems with emissions, as long as it isn't black smoke I don't think it matters and filling it with super adds a chunk of ethanol to the mix, so it burns clean.

So I will order some of those hangers (the current one doesn't use them, it uses the old style ones), I only have the old school big chunk of rubber with two holes, type.

This was the one I bought.  But the cat section looks more like the one you linked, ie, flatter and less circular.

ProductImage.aspx?Code=PGEXP20D+7010

Last edited by Pathfinder100 (2024-02-17 20:19:06)

#14 2024-03-19 11:49:15

Pathfinder100

So trying to order a new middle section and I don't understand why it is so hard.  I found a compatible part (yes I know it's not the exact part, but no one has a reasonably priced euroflo middle section).  Someone had one for 100 quid but that's way outside budget.  I found something that looks the same and I can work around any issues by maybe using a flexible hose to connect the two parts if needs be.  It lists on the ad as compatible with Euroflo.  Cue four emails from the seller.  I feel like I'm wading through thick mud.  Honestly just send me an exhaust section and i will mod it to fit if it doesn't, I really don't care.  I will even break out the mig welder if needs be.  I just need it fixed and back on the road. wink  If he keeps giving me the runaround he can refund me or I will force it myself.  I just don't care anymore. tongue

Failing all else I will use the whole old section and just patch the fk out of it.  I watched some repair your exhaust thing from Scotty Kilmer on YT and he said to patch it with stove cement and aluminium foil, then spray paint it with high temperature paint.  Might try that if everything else fails.  if it goes through MOT that's all I care about.

The one I ordered was this one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234290512654

Last edited by Pathfinder100 (2024-03-19 11:51:21)

#15 2024-03-19 12:08:12

AlvyLad

Unfortunately with all car-van repairs it is the same.
Whilst they have every part available it turns not necessarily so and in general cars these days last certain amount of time by design... Once they start going wrong it hardly is worth repair, as something else will fail. Then, considering labour charges surpassing costs of parts and vehicles need be considered.
I know we talk about generation before, but as it comes to suppliers it is bit of a nightmare for them with all the returns, claims of incapability etc.
Pop over to a garage and see what happens typically... They in majority are there for the money, cars on lifts- awaiting for the right parts.

Anyway, do plod on, or, considering what you are capable of, you might've as well made up the section ownself?
Also photos helps, if not for you, for the other readers alot wink

Last edited by AlvyLad (2024-03-19 13:29:44)

#16 2024-03-19 14:19:28

Pathfinder100

I will get to photos when i have all the bits of lego. wink Been putting it off and using the bike more while it's offline. 

Have decided to probably let the garage do the brake hose swap, because I frankly can't be bothered with bleeding the entire system after i change them (I hate doing the bike every year and that takes me a good hour or so).  So will just put a bit of money to one side to cover the brake bit.  It needs doing I don't know when (or if ever) the brake fluid has been changed.  But the brakes still work enough to pass MOT.

i will do the pain in the ass jobs.  But at the same time if I have to remove the brake hoses to do the bushes, then maybe I will do it all.  Anyone know how much fluid the whole system takes.  I have about 2.5L of DOT4, but suspect it needs a lot more than that.  Yes I haven't done that either yet.  All the parts, none of the will.  But it needs doing and I need the van online again, ready for camping and climbing mountains in May.

#17 2024-03-19 21:44:26

kenbw2
Administrator

Pathfinder100 wrote:

Failing all else I will use the whole old section and just patch the fk out of it.  I watched some repair your exhaust thing from Scotty Kilmer on YT and he said to patch it with stove cement and aluminium foil, then spray paint it with high temperature paint.  Might try that if everything else fails.  if it goes through MOT that's all I care about.

I did this with an exhaust section. It took a few tries, but I made a framework with wire mesh and then filled it with exhaust repair cement and it's worked a treat

#18 2024-03-19 23:23:54

Pathfinder100

kenbw2 wrote:

I did this with an exhaust section. It took a few tries, but I made a framework with wire mesh and then filled it with exhaust repair cement and it's worked a treat

Thanks for that it gives me an idea on how to repurpose that aluminium mesh you use for bodywork repairs.  Half the problem with repairs is the pressure is coming from inside and pushing out so applying a patch to the outside is problematic as you really want the patch material to spread out on the inside (of the hole).  If you apply stove cement or gun gum to the other side of a piece of aluminium mesh (and use a lot), place it over the hole and secure it, then theoretically the pressure from the exhaust should force it flat if you start the engine and it will seal the hole from the inside.  then apply gum or cement to the outside to seal the deal.  or at least that makes sense to me. tongue  Something to try.

But anyway that last email i sent to the ebay guy, well he shipped the middle section.  I think i was borderline forceful in my reply, but I just used the contents of the ad, the serial number of the part and some common sense.  If it doesn't fit, I will improvise, adapt and overcome. smile

Board footer