The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-12-27 21:50:13

Pathfinder100

Exhaust - Cat section

The front part of my exhaust is basically broken.  The pipe snapped off just after the chunky part of the cat and is currently held together with several repair kits from Eurocarparts and about 3 rolls of duct tape.  Half the problem seem to be there is no support rubber at this end of the exhaust, so it's free floating.

So i am not against getting a new cat to put in its place, or if anyone has any ideas on how to patch it up.  I did wonder whether I could put a smaller gauge pipe inside the broken one and slide it between the two pieces then shove as much firegum into the gaps as possible.  if it goes through MOT this year i would be happy as the van will likely be getting sold this summer due to low emission zone woes and the fact i want to try converting a car into a micro camper.

As to the support issue, I am currently using a piece of awning rail and a bungee on each end to act as a support for it (was stuck in Tesco Stockport in the summer needing a quick fix and that was what i came up with).

I will try and get some pictures tomorrow.

Peugeot Expert 2006 2.0 Hdi 110 RHZ / DW10BTED+ 5 Speed Manual

#2 2023-12-27 22:16:21

AlvyLad

Re: Exhaust - Cat section

Dunno how to find on mobile, but I've had a tread about my exhaust configuration, that sounds like yours.
I've ended replacing most of it because I'm a dummy and previous visit at mechanics I've forgotten that he told me to replace middle mount with a new genuine one, that is rubber, with nylon strap on it, where he told me, I'll have it snapped and big job because of that.... neutral

#3 2023-12-27 22:21:02

AlvyLad

found it
https://dispatchexpertscudo.org.uk/foru … hp?id=1637
hope helps to see which you have, which (if) the mount critical, but parts to replace are cheap, even if you wish to find even cheaper alternatives for

#4 2023-12-28 01:00:06

Pathfinder100

So where yours snapped, mine snapped about 5-10 cm further along towards the back box, but before the join.  Technically on mine I suspect it could still be weldable, if I had any skill in that area.  I did wonder if I could get 3-4 pieces of 0.5m threaded bar and weld those to both sections to hold it in place.  But I need to look at the back of the engine part as well.  I think the whole thing is knackered.  When it snapped the whole cat section was a good 15-20 cm lower than the pipe to the back box.  but it could also mean the pipe on the back of the engine is flexible and not rigid.

So I see these non approved cats on ebay for a reasonable price, but they are apparently illegal to fit.  Any more info on them?  I've looked at a site about cats, but it seems to be very grey area.  So if you have a van that is reg'd in 2001 and one reg'd in 2002, you need two different cats for identical vehicles. hmm  The emissions end doesn't worry me.  I've found running redex the week before and then putting 2-3 gallons of Super Diesel in a couple of days before the test has ensured it passed every time with flying colours.  All of my MOT emission tests for the last 15 years or so I have done the same way and never had an issue.  Still if putting that exhaust on would get me in some trouble i'd rather avoid that problem. big_smile

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/305295732862

If needs be, I am happy to go for a second hand one that's in better nick.  It's a stop gap of sorts.  The whole supporting it is a problem though.  Did wonder whether to sink a bolt through from the inside to make a new mount point for a rubber hanger.

Cheapest new one i can find.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294891098901

Last edited by Pathfinder100 (2023-12-28 01:12:39)

#5 2023-12-28 22:50:01

AlvyLad

Everything else is relatively cheaply replaceable
Actual Cat... Lottery, in theory they stop working after x-amount of hours/miles, new vehicles suffer way more in that respect, so my (guess- non professional opinion) SH might turn out better option BUT
But, you are getting through your MOT's with your trickery and these vans are "road-tax'ed" accordingly Euro-3, so not having one or having the fake one might work out the same...
Not really what you'd wish for as to get an informed advice, just (my, empty even) speculation  monkey

#6 2024-01-03 23:57:23

Pathfinder100

So for comparison. 2001 Euro 3 Peugeot Expert vs 2006 Euro 3 Peugeot Expert.

Vehicle make
    PEUGEOT
Date of first registration
    July 2001
Year of manufacture
Cylinder capacity
    1997 cc
CO₂ emissions
    0 g/km
Fuel type
    DIESEL
Euro status
    Not available
Real Driving Emissions (RDE)
    Not available
Export marker
    No
Vehicle status
    Untaxed
Vehicle colour
    WHITE
Vehicle type approval
    N1
Wheelplan
    2 AXLE RIGID BODY
Revenue weight
    Not available
Date of last V5C (logbook) issued
    18 July 2012

Vehicle make
    PEUGEOT
Date of first registration
    July 2006
Year of manufacture
Cylinder capacity
    1997 cc
CO₂ emissions
    0 g/km
Fuel type
    DIESEL
Euro status
    Not available
Real Driving Emissions (RDE)
    Not available
Export marker
    No
Vehicle status
    Taxed
Vehicle colour
    WHITE
Vehicle type approval
    N1
Wheelplan
    2 AXLE RIGID BODY
Revenue weight
    2330 kg
Date of last V5C (logbook) issued
    29 July 2021

I'm very tempted to do it myself and use one of the £60 exhausts.  Then put it through on Super Diesel/Redex.  Unless I can bodge the current one some more.

Or I found this one on Ebay, that is new and apparently type approved, for £120.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/355337348121 … Sw9H1lkmPQ

#7 2024-03-27 16:22:57

Pathfinder100

So removed the back section and middle section yesterday with the help of a reciprocating saw.  Back box is fine for re-use.  Just faffing with the front bit.  one nut came off the pin without too much hassle, the other one is rusted on.  Can't see how the pins are inserted, but found a picture on a YT video (at 20:28) that suggests you insert them from the front.  Going to try and get a spanner on the other side and then take it off with the ratchet, but running out of daylight hours today and getting totally under the van is not a lot of fun.  I got stuck under it earlier due to being fat. tongue

Got it on ramps at the minute.  On stands I can't get under full stop.  But my ramps are small, so I can only just get under.  Anyway, enough moaning.

Failsafe is to dremel the pin or I suppose pay a garage to get it off and fit the new one. 

Some pictures.

cat1.jpg
cat2.jpg

Looks like getting new pins through the holes might be a challenge, but the pin on the second picture is probably reusable.

Off topic, I also came across a god awful amount of oil on the back of the engine.  Spraying from somewhere I think, no idea where though. hmm  But it's all over the place on everything.

IMG-20240327-155139.jpg

Last edited by Pathfinder100 (2024-03-27 17:24:55)

#8 2024-03-27 20:58:20

AlvyLad

Off topic, I also came across a god awful amount of oil on the back of the engine.  Spraying from somewhere I think, no idea where though. hmm  But it's all over the place on everything.

Most likely, as mine, on the RHS (as you look at the engine bay) see where (with the mirror or the phone, as I doubt your head will fit in) vacuum pump is and cover gasket, but only shows as on LHS (or in the van RHS) bottom of the engine bellow water pump and on the engine mount
My guess

Board footer