The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-02-26 17:38:50

BogEyes

2007 2.0L Cutting out while driving (Fuel Tank Sender Unit/EGR Valve)

Intro

Hi, it's my first post but I've read many threads on here over past 10 years. 

I have a 2007 2.0L Scudo, owned for around 3 years. (Before this I owned a 2006 1.9D Expert, which is another fun rabbit hole)

Within the past 6 months, on 3 separate occasions, while driving it has cut out completely, and then not wanted to start.

At a glance these seem to be the same problem, however there were variations to this and I suspect there might be more than one issue present.

It is worth pointing out that within these past 6 months, the van is somewhat hesitant at times, and fuel economy is terrible.

Problem

1st: Short trip less than 10 mins, idling at lights, it cut out. I believe it was turning over, but just wouldn't fire. Battery run down from the hazards being on.

Solution: Towed, charged battery, changed fuel and air filter. Seemed to be alright. Engine management light turned off at some point.

2nd (few weeks later): Longer trip, including 20 minutes of motorway driving, however I am recalling now I had been sat in traffic for 10 mins, then on a downhill residential area while off throttle and coasting it cut out.

Solution: Started after a few hours of waiting for recovery, roadside mechanic said he thinks its the DPF and revved the absolute life out of it, drove home with engine management light on and kept it higher in the rev range trying to 'clear it out'. Drove it the next day, engine management light still on, and put it on the chocks and attempted various fixes. Ultimately got it running again and the engine management light turned off at some point. Since this time I've been trying to keep the fuel level around half, as I had suspected it may be a fuel issue.

3rd (2 months later, this week): Short trip less than 10 mins (The van had been idling for 20 minutes before setting off), mostly sat at lights and slow speed, it cut out while doing about 10mph. Started relatively soon afterwards, drove off with engine management light on, and it cut out again within a few minutes doing about 10mph. However it wouldn't even turn over after this, like the battery was flat.

Solution: Towed, charged battery, engine management light still on, haven't driven it.

Tests I've completed at various points

- I tested the thermostat by putting the housing in a container and seeing if it opened when adding boiling water, it opened so deduced that it is working.
- Run the van from a bottle of diesel via gravity, bypassing the fuel filter/fuel tank. This was the only way I managed to start the van at one point, after testing the thermostat.
- The roadside mechanic stated that the EGR Valve was opening and closing, as he had a function on his scanner able to do this. I can't verify or replicate this test though.
- Today I have turned the ignition on with the a bottle attached to the fuel filter (after disconnecting the hose to the High Pressure Fuel Pump), and no fuel comes out.

Not a test but I also cleaned up with earth point on the gearbox which got covered in water/coolant after testing the thermostat. It was covered in gunk too.

Codes/Faults

When the engine management light comes on, as it is now, it states anti-pollution fault on the dash.

I have recently bought a code reader, it throws up these;

P1461 - Manufacturer Control
P0490 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation  Control Circuit A High
P0001 - Fuel Volume Regulator Control Circuit/Open

Thoughts & Questions

From reading another thread, it seems the fuel pump sender unit may not be working as intended and I need to test this further. I'd like to investigate as much as I can before having to remove the fuel tank to access the unit.  Is there a fuse/relay that relates to the sender unit? The Haynes manual shows no fuses for it.

The EGR valve could be faulty. I need to test this before forking out £175~ for a new one, however access is poor.

#2 2024-02-26 19:15:54

BogEyes

Re: 2007 2.0L Cutting out while driving (Fuel Tank Sender Unit/EGR Valve)

Also, riddle me this.

If the fuel tank sender unit, sends fuel when the ignition is on, and the fuel system is essentially self primimg because of this, what is the purpose of the inline priming bulb before the fuel filter?

#3 2024-02-26 20:23:01

AlvyLad

(total fluke guess) EGR pipes leaking (not operating "on occasionally, off other times") makes van starve for oxygen, hence random faults and no faults afterwards.

#4 2024-02-27 01:08:05

kenbw2
Administrator

Could be a number of things, but maybe it's not getting full fuel pressure hence cutting out at low revs on all occasions. You can verify the in-tank pump without taking it out by listening for it running when you turn the key to I think the second position before you try to crank the engine.

Agreed the lack of turning over could be unrelated. Unless it's electrical gremlins in both cases?

In any case, I wouldn't put too much stock in roadside recovery people. Like my brother says, if they were good mechanics, they'd be mechanics!

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#5 2024-02-27 13:55:03

BogEyes

Thanks for the replies.

AlvyLad wrote:

(total fluke guess) EGR pipes leaking (not operating "on occasionally, off other times") makes van starve for oxygen, hence random faults and no faults afterwards.

As in leaking from the silver metal pipe that recirculates the exhaust gas back to the manifold?

kenbw2 wrote:

Could be a number of things, but maybe it's not getting full fuel pressure hence cutting out at low revs on all occasions. You can verify the in-tank pump without taking it out by listening for it running when you turn the key to I think the second position before you try to crank the engine.

Agreed the lack of turning over could be unrelated. Unless it's electrical gremlins in both cases?

In any case, I wouldn't put too much stock in roadside recovery people. Like my brother says, if they were good mechanics, they'd be mechanics!

If there is an in-tank pump, and it's meant to pump fuel before firing the engine, it is definitely not coming on. My concern is that there is only a sender unit, and no in tank pump (why is there an in-line primer bulb?!). I'm going to cut a hole in the floor to see if I can create access to the sender unit without dropping the fuel tank.

I'm defo not ruling out electrical gremlins. When the hazards had been on for 3 hours last week, the rear ones all but went out. Half hour later they were back to full power. The front ones stayed bright the whole time. May have just been the low battery playing havoc though.

I want to check all the earth points but am struggling to locate a couple.

Ha, totally agree with your brothers sentiment.

#6 2024-02-29 16:07:34

BogEyes

Can anyone confirm if I should still be hearing a noise from the tank on turning the ignition, if there is not a lift pump in the tank, and only a sender unit?

#7 2024-03-01 01:11:44

kenbw2
Administrator

I tried looking that up - I know for sure that the Mk1 2.0HDi have a pump in the tank

But I couldn't find evidence of one in the Mk2 which I'm sceptical of

http://www.catcar.info/peugeot/?lang=en … BwbGllcj09

It's a shame ServiceBox isn't free anymore. You used to be able to put your VIN in and it'll tell you exactly what parts you have

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#8 2024-04-02 16:17:45

BogEyes

So just an update after a few more breakdowns.

I attempted to clean/replace the EGR valve due to the P0490 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation  Control Circuit A High. What an absolute pig of a job that is, access is a complete nightmare on this Euro 4 version of the scudo. After removing the stainless steel manifold connecting pipe, I noticed the EGR Valve has previously been blanked off. Which I assume is the cause for the error code. The van has previously run fine while this was unkowngily blanked, so I have deduced it can't be that.

The hand priming bulb had splits on close inspection. Upon replacing it it pressurised better than the old bulb, however I broke down again shortly afterwards.

I then bypassed the fuel filter, noting that pressure seemed to increase drastically in the bulb when doing this, so I am thinking that the rubber sealing ring on the fuel filter is ineffective. However I broke down again shortly afterwards.

At this point I realised if it is indeed the fuel system, it could be the high pressure fuel pump itself failing. Or running the van for a few miles without a fuel filter had clogged the injectors/pipes...

The P0001 - Fuel Volume Regulator Control Circuit/Open is confusing because there appears to be two regulator/sensors on the Siemens VGO high pressure pump that is on the van, with no concrete information anywhere as that what does what. There is a cylindrical one on the top with an orange plug and a hexaganol one on the bottom with a white plug. My understanding now is the top one is the fuel volume regulator, and the bottom one is the fuel pressure regulator.

So I today replaced the top one, the fuel volume regulator, and the p0001 code has gone, and the van is sounding and running much better throughout the rev range. Fingers crossed this was the issue.

Board footer