The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-05-16 15:57:57

nosleep09

Dispatch Electrical issue?

Hey

I'm wondering if someone can help, I have a 2008 mk2 Citroen Dispatch 2ltr lwb that I use for deliveries, the other day while was working the engine was sounding louder than normal, then as I pulled up to a stop the engine suddenly sounded normal again, I got out of the van with the engine running, the engine then shut down by itself. I tried to restart the engine, but although it tried it wouldn't start. I took a look under the hood and the alternator pulley had snapped. I called out RAC, who when attending attempted to remove the belt all together, as apparently the van should still be able to drive without it, but after doing this the van still wouldn't start. I had the van towed to my mechanic, who suggested to replace the pulley, the alternator and the fuel pump. He has done that but the van still won't start. He suggested it's most likely an electrical problem, either the Fuse box or the ECU. He spent half the morning playing with the fuse box, cleaning contactors and playing with wires, but can't find the problem so has recommended an auto mechanic who specializes in electronics. I spoke to one over the phone and explained the issue to him, he stated by the sounds of it, it could be the alternator hasn't been fitted properly. My mechanic insists it has. Has anyone had a similar issue? what do you think it could be? Thanks

#2 2024-05-17 17:09:31

tee_cee

Re: Dispatch Electrical issue?

Did anyone check the battery voltage?

#3 2024-05-18 12:26:10

AlvyLad

MK2 onwards are known to have whole shabang of "safety features", that might have put error in anything considering rather major breakdown to not to start.
I'd say to do BSI reset procedure to clear them codes (on youtube) might be of help, but I wouldn't hold my breath, as anything from failing alternator (the actual reason for breakdown) or a crank sensor or conncetion anywhere in-between could be throwing some tantrums

#4 2024-05-18 18:01:23

nosleep09

tee_cee wrote:

Did anyone check the battery voltage?

I have no idea, I'll ask the mechanic

#5 2024-05-18 18:02:23

nosleep09

AlvyLad wrote:

MK2 onwards are known to have whole shabang of "safety features", that might have put error in anything considering rather major breakdown to not to start.
I'd say to do BSI reset procedure to clear them codes (on youtube) might be of help, but I wouldn't hold my breath, as anything from failing alternator (the actual reason for breakdown) or a crank sensor or conncetion anywhere in-between could be throwing some tantrums

Thanks for the answer, I'll have a look on youtube

#6 2024-05-20 18:41:05

nosleep09

Mechanic said there is a code for short in the fuse box, so possibly water got in there, will hopefully get a definitive answer by tomorrow

#7 2024-05-21 17:41:22

nosleep09

Just to update, it was the crankshaft pulse sensor. took it to another mechanic and the found the issue very quickly big_smile  thanks for the help

#8 2024-05-21 20:50:18

AlvyLad

nosleep09 wrote:

Just to update, it was the crankshaft pulse sensor. took it to another mechanic and the found the issue very quickly big_smile  thanks for the help

Lucky you, TY for keeping us in the loop.

#9 2024-05-22 15:34:00

tee_cee

Thanks for coming back and glad you got sorted.
It's a depressing story. The rac guy was right, you should be able to start without the alternator. So when the belt broke, something else broke. In this case the broken belt must have damaged the sensor or its wiring.
So replacing the alternator was a total guess as was the fuel pump. The fuse box theory was also a total guess. None of these have a logical explanation as to why the engine fault and broken belt happened at the same time. Yet you have had to pay for the parts and work. Shame really.

Last edited by tee_cee (2024-05-22 15:35:02)

Board footer