The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-25 21:53:49

OAT

Emergancy Jump Starter Power Packs?

As I mentioned in another thread, despite my van never failing to start, I constantly worry about a flat starter battery after a remote camping stop.  It shouldn't happen as I don't use it at all when camping but all it takes is a stuck relay.

I have been thinking of those small starter power packs.  There are some very compact ones about now but reports are very mixed.  Seems their reliability over time can be suspect.  One thing you do need from an emergency back up is that it works when you desperately need it.  I think a year or so developement and they will be a good option.

Anyone used one in anger?

Not particularly this one, just an example:-

The Max’s supersized 13,600 mAh battery capacity and USB means power for all your devices, whilst the handy, inbuilt multi-function LED torch means you can use it night and day. Every Max comes complete with 4-in-1 charging cable, featuring USB, micro USB, 30 pin and Lightning compatible connections. Slot it into the Max’s USB port and your favourite device will be charging in seconds.

Additionally, the Max also comes complete with a wide range of laptop tips, making it ideal to charge almost any laptop – excluding MacBooks, MacBook Airs and MacBook Pros – helping you make the most of this powerful lithium battery pack.

What’s it compatible with?

Fully compatible with a wide range of electronic devices including iPhones, iPods, iPads, Kindles and Nooks, together with smartphones, laptops and tablets from leading electronics manufacturers including Huawei, HTC, LG, Nokia, Samsung, Sony and ZTE.

It can also jump start most petrol and diesel engine cars, motorcycles, vans, tractors, lawnmowers and quads up to 2.5 litres capacity.

http://www.seriouscountrysports.com/en/ … SIQAvD_BwE

#2 2017-07-29 09:16:18

tee_cee

Re: Emergancy Jump Starter Power Packs?

I would have no problem buying one of these if I didn't already have a Ring RPP135 battery pack.
Bulky as it is, it has a built in tyre pump and a small inverter.

#3 2017-08-07 20:04:28

OAT

Well my scepticism about these things has been cured.

After arriving at the remote Stour Head lighthouse after driving through heavy rain I left my lights on.  It was an hour or so before I noticed.

I was so concerned about it starting in the morning that in my panic I forgot to put in the immobiliser code before I cranked it a few times.  This finished it of and there was no way it was going to start.

There was a few tourists arriving and a sandwich van which I hoped might have a genny so I rummaged around to find my charger and jump leads.

As I walked toward the sandwich van to ask about a charge or jump start a man I had noticed watching me earlier called me over.  He had one of these emergency starting charger things and was quite keen to test it.

It started the van instantly.

I am definitely going to treat myself to one although there are mixed reviews about their performance after storage unused for extended periods.

With the multiple charging options available though I think I would make enough use of it charging phones, batteries, etc. to keep it in good condition.

Like having another leisure battery but with the ability to start the van.

#4 2017-08-08 10:50:26

Ricko

I'll be interested in seeing what you buy. It's always a fear, the van not starting.

2004 Citroen Dispatch 2.0 Hdi

Board footer