The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-20 16:50:26

vaz2121
Member
From: Glasgow Living:~ SW. Scotland
Registered: 2015-08-31
Posts: 1,103

A form of isolation

OAT wrote:

  Not intending to travel much but staying out of the way till things are calmer.


I'm not getting at anyone I genuinely wish to know.......
The statement has me thinking ...........={Dangerous..Maybe}
I Kind of agree but is it practical in this size or any size van

Why are we told The flu Gets a grip on us in winter because we have the central heating on and we mingle indoors with everyone in that lovely warm moist air the germs love and multiply in..........

I'm not looking to make light of this situation  as this is ten times more virulent than flu
Does cold temps not have any effect on this virus ....................

I'd think that being away in van doing your own thing as we seem to do, other than buying fuel (unless pay at pump) and groceries like everyone else is better than being couped up within 4 walls.........

Not everyone can do this......
And obviously if you've got it and your traveling your carrying it elsewhere...........

Is being in or out the van in the middle of nowhere self isolation or is it being irresponsible.......
I can't really be doing with hoards of people...Maybe that's why I don't live in the city........

Another thing if we get it and survive are we immune?......... and allowed to be free again........

If so Why do I and millions of others get a flu jab every year

Offline

#2 2020-03-20 17:28:51

OAT
Member
From: Borders/Dales
Registered: 2017-01-03
Posts: 613

Re: A form of isolation

Dunno about being irrisponsible.  No contact means no infection.  I would think it an ideal solution.
Anyway, this is normal for me.  I have been self isolating for 50  years.  But they usually get me sooner or later.  l am certainly not joining the madding crowds just now.  ☺

Offline

#3 2020-03-20 18:37:34

Casper
Member
From: East Lothian
Registered: 2015-12-20
Posts: 1,824

Re: A form of isolation

Family of arses came into a garden centre i was in today Daddy arse opens door handle with his knee then makes a big deal of handing mummy arse and kid arse there blue surgical gloves. They took up the width of an isle i was wanting past but as i was approaching i hear him say "Now remember, dont touch anything unless we are buying it" Anyway as i was passing a said excuse me as i rubbed my shoulder along his back. Big loud at and lots of muttering as i walk away smiling. Wish i coughed now. Guy in Aldi last night picking stuff off the shelves and putting it in a trolley as you do. At the till when the goods were getting scanned he put a polly bag over each hand to take the items off the till and into his bags. WTF was that about? Another today at the garage walks back to his car and uses a wipe on his door handle before getting in.

Offline

#4 2020-03-20 18:46:30

Casper
Member
From: East Lothian
Registered: 2015-12-20
Posts: 1,824

Re: A form of isolation

No it is serious. NO PUBS  yikes

Offline

#5 2020-03-20 20:14:55

OAT
Member
From: Borders/Dales
Registered: 2017-01-03
Posts: 613

Re: A form of isolation

vaz2121 wrote:
OAT wrote:

  Not intending to travel much but staying out of the way till things are calmer.


I'm not getting at anyone I genuinely wish to know.......
The statement has me thinking ...........={Dangerous..Maybe}
I Kind of agree but is it practical in this size or any size van

Why are we told The flu Gets a grip on us in winter because we have the central heating on and we mingle indoors with everyone in that lovely warm moist air the germs love and multiply in..........

I'm not looking to make light of this situation  as this is ten times more virulent than flu
Does cold temps not have any effect on this virus ....................

I'd think that being away in van doing your own thing as we seem to do, other than buying fuel (unless pay at pump) and groceries like everyone else is better than being couped up within 4 walls.........

Not everyone can do this......
And obviously if you've got it and your traveling your carrying it elsewhere...........

Is being in or out the van in the middle of nowhere self isolation or is it being irresponsible.......
I can't really be doing with hoards of people...Maybe that's why I don't live in the city........

Another thing if we get it and survive are we immune?......... and allowed to be free again........

If so Why do I and millions of others get a flu jab every year

Didn't think you were having a go vaz.  But as I said, no contact, no infection, has to be a responsible policy?

As for the size of the van, there are quite a few of us full timing in vans of this size and smaller.  Wouldn't fancy it long term two up but it's feasable, especialy with improving weather allowing more time outdoors.  Solo is no problem at aĺl.  What would I need more room for anyway?

I don't think we can make direct comparisons with flu re acquiring immunity or any effect cf of cold temperature at this stage. People seem to think warmer weather might slow it down but it's spread in pleanty of hot countries suggests not.

Offline

#6 2020-03-20 20:17:11

OAT
Member
From: Borders/Dales
Registered: 2017-01-03
Posts: 613

Re: A form of isolation

Casper wrote:

Family of arses came into a garden centre i was in today Daddy arse opens door handle with his knee then makes a big deal of handing mummy arse and kid arse there blue surgical gloves. They took up the width of an isle i was wanting past but as i was approaching i hear him say "Now remember, dont touch anything unless we are buying it" Anyway as i was pdassing a said excuse me as i rubbed my shoulder along his back. Big loud at and lots of muttering as i walk away smiling. Wish i coughed now. Guy in Aldi last night picking stuff off the shelves and putting it in a trolley as you do. At the till when the goods were getting scanned he put a polly bag over each hand to take the items off the till and into his bags. WTF was that about? Another today at the garage walks back to his car and uses a wipe on his door handle before getting in.

Perhaps one or more of those arses, or their family members had underlying health conditions which mean that getting infected might be a virtual death sentence?

Offline

#7 2020-03-20 20:54:47

Casper
Member
From: East Lothian
Registered: 2015-12-20
Posts: 1,824

Re: A form of isolation

OAT wrote:

Perhaps one or more of those arses, or their family members had underlying health conditions which mean that getting infected might be a virtual death sentence?

Making being out visiting a garden centre a rely good idea

Offline

#8 2020-03-20 21:34:04

Tiree
Administrator
From: Galloway
Registered: 2013-09-20
Posts: 321

Re: A form of isolation

I'm lucky to live pretty much in the middle of nowhere in the hills - but I'm still planning to escape into the Galloway Forest Park or elsewhere now and then in the van.

I'd avoid long trips but as long as there is no fuel shortage I don't see that isolating in the van is in any way worse than isolating at home.

If anything it is a gift of variety that many would be thankful for.


2006 Citroen Dispatch 2.0HDi bought in July 2013 - Partial camper conversion ........

DSC_0360-1.jpg

Offline

#9 2020-03-20 21:52:14

OAT
Member
From: Borders/Dales
Registered: 2017-01-03
Posts: 613

Re: A form of isolation

Does seem a bit odd to take the whole family but we don' know other people's circumstances. 
Although  vulnerable people have been told to self isolate, many have to go out.   At this stage it would seem to be si lly, if not anti-social not to take at least basic precautions.

As vaz said, "not having a go" but there will be no prizes for underestimating.

Hoping you, yours, and all members get through without serious health or financial consequences. 

But I woudn't put money on it.

Offline

#10 2020-03-20 22:10:22

Casper
Member
From: East Lothian
Registered: 2015-12-20
Posts: 1,824

Re: A form of isolation

Aye nowt as queer as folk. I have had three customers drop me so far for the foreseeable future. They are old so i can understand that. The loss of income is not huge but enough to make me cancel our long weekend in Somerset as that would have ended up costing 500 or so and who knows how long this crap is staying for. Looking like China is on the decline so we can expect at least three month. Wife works for herself also as a cleaner. Luckily all her clients still want her so long may that continue. Must phone my brother inlaw tomorrow as the closed pubs will kill him. Bad enough he is a avid Hibs supporter and the football is over but the Saturday night in the pub with his football mates is set in stone. Come to think about it my sister works in a school so she will be stuck at home also. This could be the first Conora divorce.

Offline

#11 2020-03-20 22:17:57

Casper
Member
From: East Lothian
Registered: 2015-12-20
Posts: 1,824

Re: A form of isolation

Casper wrote:

Aye nowt as queer as folk. I have had three customers drop me so far for the foreseeable future. They are old so i can understand that. The loss of income is not huge but enough to make me cancel our long weekend in Somerset as that would have ended up costing 500 or so and who knows how long this crap is staying for. Looking like China is on the decline so we can expect at least three month. Wife works for herself also as a cleaner. Luckily all her clients still want her so long may that continue. Must phone my brother inlaw tomorrow as the closed pubs will kill him. Bad enough he is a avid Hibs supporter and the football is over but the Saturday night in the pub with his football mates is set in stone. Come to think about it my sister works in a school so she will be stuck at home also. This could be the first Conora divorce.

Good god just to add. My niece who is not long back from OZ is staying at home and works in a pub. That will be the three of them at home big_smile

Offline

#12 2020-03-21 00:20:27

OAT
Member
From: Borders/Dales
Registered: 2017-01-03
Posts: 613

Re: A form of isolation

Shouldn't run out of beer though.  ☺

Offline

#13 2020-03-21 12:50:59

tee_cee
Member
Registered: 2016-03-18
Posts: 386

Re: A form of isolation

had a note yesterday from the Camping & Caravan Club. They have decided not to open several sites in April, and have placed some restrictions on the ones that are open. Main points are a reduction in capacity to 50% (to allow more spacing between pitches) and closing the shower and toilet blocks!
Seems like a bit of wishful thinking on their behalf, but it suggests, to me, that campsites will be closing their gates shortly.

Offline

#14 2020-03-21 13:23:16

vaz2121
Member
From: Glasgow Living:~ SW. Scotland
Registered: 2015-08-31
Posts: 1,103

Re: A form of isolation

Quite an evocative Subject .... As i suspected............

To clarify a couple things.......
Me thinking=Dangerous
I do think ... in van doing your own thing (Not unlike our quick trip around skye) is a form of self isolation ........
My Flu reference was more of a base line comparison as it's a Viral rather than Bacterial Infection.........

Van Size as OAT pointed out is not really an issue .........
But as I've seen with some folk on a longer trip "Borders have closed".........
"What if On Lock down NO TRAVEL outside say 5 miles was allowed and for arguments sake we were stuck on skye away from our  home".........


Playing Devil's advocate here as I do genuinely wish to know   thoughts ........

As Casper says . : Nowt queer as folk.....
(Being Human "allegedly" would seem we follow path of least resistance rather than the rules We make... Or take advantage of)

Some people I've known for 40 yrs or more and I've regarded as stable sensible relatively intelligent people have come out with the most idiotic stupid statements
I wonder is this based on gov'mnt Mushroom tactics or just stupidity..........

My partner has underlying health issues {We both do but}....... Not with standing her having had Two Courses of chemotherapy and just the devastating effect on her immune system ......
1. A family member of partner in the know of her situation say's "I don't care if I get it .....  I've been told Probibly It'll be mild symptoms I'll get and I'll only be off work 2 weeks and So I could pop down for a visit"..........
2. Same person in Tele-Con accused us of being irresponsable for continuing on around and being in skye ....WTF {Obviously it can't pass on within family}...........
(Even though we were there before the latest daily annoucement was made)

1A. I've also heard that this was man made in the virology institute of Wuhan and the powers that be arranged for "Idiots like Trump & Boris" to be in power so their stupid statements are the norm so not unusual and they also arranged for the virus release and that Disney films have dropped hints for years of this coming inc Rapunzel just happens to live in the kingdom of Corona and of course it's told in the Bible to great effect .......

2A. The true top 1% of people with all the wealth that they really rule the world have decided on a new world order because We the proletariat have been seeing the light and this is to put us in our place and consolidate their power ............
It's a smoke screen to make us look the other (wrong) way to allow this consolidation ..........
Just like religion it's there to scare us Sh****ss into what might happen in this or the after life if we don't behave.....

I'm not going to dispute or mock anyone's beliefs or motives that get them through the day as mine (beliefs) could be regarded as just as dippy  if your that way inclined
Or Conspiracy Theorists are having a field day

Aside: We went to pharmacy as some of our required drugs are controled......
We had to que outside as only 1 customer was allowed in at a time.............
The rest of us are required to que outside regardless of Temp and or weather conditions and "6 Foot" apart I think" {Social isolation}............
Took us an hour just to get in door.........
The point is during this wait A person then walked up and stood right next to us in the que "that under normal circumstance would be regarded as personal space invasion".......

I got a mouthful obviously when I said "exscue me were standing like this (distance apart) for the good of our health" .......
(Their embarrassment, My humor or sarcasm whichever {you decide} went down like a lead balloon..... or did the intimidation tactic not work)

No mention though Casper if "Corona beer" is still available down Tesco etc...........(Sorry)

Stressfull times ahead

Offline

#15 2020-03-21 13:47:34

vaz2121
Member
From: Glasgow Living:~ SW. Scotland
Registered: 2015-08-31
Posts: 1,103

Re: A form of isolation

OAT wrote:

Shouldn't run out of beer though.  ☺


I'll do my best

Day-2.jpg

Offline

#16 2020-03-21 20:30:58

Casper
Member
From: East Lothian
Registered: 2015-12-20
Posts: 1,824

Re: A form of isolation

Offline

#17 2020-03-21 20:33:34

Casper
Member
From: East Lothian
Registered: 2015-12-20
Posts: 1,824

Re: A form of isolation

Aldi took a big hit on beers now the pubs are shut. I am Coeliac now so not that bothered. Wife can sink a battleship with all the gin she has and i only have 7 bottles of red left. We are OK for the weekend then big_smile

Offline

#18 2020-03-21 21:42:21

OAT
Member
From: Borders/Dales
Registered: 2017-01-03
Posts: 613

Re: A form of isolation

Casper wrote:

I hear they are rounding all off site vans in France up and sending them into Aires.

Offline

#19 2020-03-22 14:52:12

tee_cee
Member
Registered: 2016-03-18
Posts: 386

Re: A form of isolation

tee_cee wrote:

had a note yesterday from the Camping & Caravan Club. They have decided not to open several sites in April, and have placed some restrictions on the ones that are open. Main points are a reduction in capacity to 50% (to allow more spacing between pitches) and closing the shower and toilet blocks!
Seems like a bit of wishful thinking on their behalf, but it suggests, to me, that campsites will be closing their gates shortly.

..and today they have closed their sites

Offline

#20 2020-03-22 23:00:17

Casper
Member
From: East Lothian
Registered: 2015-12-20
Posts: 1,824

Re: A form of isolation

tee_cee wrote:
tee_cee wrote:

had a note yesterday from the Camping & Caravan Club. They have decided not to open several sites in April, and have placed some restrictions on the ones that are open. Main points are a reduction in capacity to 50% (to allow more spacing between pitches) and closing the shower and toilet blocks!
Seems like a bit of wishful thinking on their behalf, but it suggests, to me, that campsites will be closing their gates shortly.

..and today they have closed their sites

The meet i was on about further up the post. As the CC and CMC have both shut shop we had a group discussion and decided until Boris says its a country shut down the meet will go ahead. The group has the camp site to itself as it was not open for the season for a week or so later anyway so all who are going are happy enough with the decision. There is a meal booked at the pub next door and as its classed as a hotel that is still on but further decision will be made on that this Tuesday.

Offline

#21 2020-03-23 13:38:37

OAT
Member
From: Borders/Dales
Registered: 2017-01-03
Posts: 613

Re: A form of isolation

Just had a visit from a local telling me I'm not from round here and not welcome.  Total nutter who claimed that the police and council had asked him to clear the cp.  When I explained that this was as safe and sensible place as any for my own and everyone's safety he came right up to my window to continue.  I asked him to move back and he just replied "No you move"  I explained that I live in the van and had to be somewhere but he just got more cranky.  I could actualy see spittle coming through the window!
Not sure if lamping him would break the social isolation rules I popped and slid open the side door making him jump back.  Fortunately as I leapt out of the door and approached him menacingly he ran.  His parting shot was that he would play Cliff Richard all night at full blast.  smile
I have had to wipe down all near the window and chuck some food that was out on the side.
I have a couple of other spots nearby but this is ideal so I will stick it out.  I would welcome a discussion with police or council as to my situation, otherwise it will just keep happening.
As for Sir Cliff... He won't stand a chance against Motorhead smile

EDIT...Ken... This was imidiately after my last text.

Last edited by OAT (2020-03-23 13:43:52)

Offline

#22 2020-03-23 23:46:18

vaz2121
Member
From: Glasgow Living:~ SW. Scotland
Registered: 2015-08-31
Posts: 1,103

Re: A form of isolation

OAT wrote:

Just had a visit from a local telling me I'm not from round here and not welcome.  Total nutter who claimed that the police and council had asked him to clear the cp.  When I explained that this was as safe and sensible place as any for my own and everyone's safety he came right up to my window to continue.  I asked him to move back and he just replied "No you move"  I explained that I live in the van and had to be somewhere but he just got more cranky.  I could actualy see spittle coming through the window!
Not sure if lamping him would break the social isolation rules I popped and slid open the side door making him jump back.  Fortunately as I leapt out of the door and approached him menacingly he ran.  His parting shot was that he would play Cliff Richard all night at full blast.  smile
I have had to wipe down all near the window and chuck some food that was out on the side.
I have a couple of other spots nearby but this is ideal so I will stick it out.  I would welcome a discussion with police or council as to my situation, otherwise it will just keep happening.
As for Sir Cliff... He won't stand a chance against Motorhead smile

EDIT...Ken... This was imidiately after my last text.

I could possably see his point if you had just arrived from Corona virus central, But it really sounds like Facebook warrior syndrome...........

Which BTW I believe is going to make the siuation worse and last much longer..........  I'm sure playing Cilff Richard at full volume along with his spitty rant will endear  him to the Locals/police when he calls them .........

I thought this was a free country and if his point is you don't come from that area ..... Advise: Is not compulsory nor do we have Marshal law or any (Apartheid type legislation) requiring papers of permission....... I clearly think he's in the wrong and invading your space and putting you at risk.............
And from what I gather Boris's latest lock down rules are  and it seems to me you didn't break them.... you were on your own and you didn't do the approaching  (Riotous Assembly act : 1956 ...... Sorry)

Surely this is as close to a war footing we're on as ever before and we need to work together for the good of all, He could have easily called you  a Twat from a distance and carried on (Or is this I'm all right jack pull up the ladder)
(Sounds like he wants to go over the hill to that other encampment and sort out all those inbreds that pose a threat to us)

Facebook warrior syndrome: Spitting at Nurses and Doctors and chanting "plague and disease spreaders" ............... I thought well OK go home then .... What do they say then?

I'm assuming your Fu**** if you do and Fu**** if you don't and these very people after trawlling all the village shops and emptying all the shelves {Apparently there's £8Billion more goods in storage in houses than One month ago} Will then chuck it out Buy New stuff shout about Global warming and the Rape of the Earth

Another thing I've heard : There is such a thing as Isolation Parties and That ther's a Rave planed for next week in a local forest park (Rumors)

Last edited by vaz2121 (2020-03-24 00:04:27)

Offline

#23 2020-03-24 00:59:22

OAT
Member
From: Borders/Dales
Registered: 2017-01-03
Posts: 613

Re: A form of isolation

Not heard anything of Cliff at all.  Not likely to either.   The bloke was from a shut down pub across a bridge a river and a field.  Thing is, I was paying council tax to this borough up till 18 months ago.  This has been as much my home as anywhere for the last 8 years.  I live in a van, I have to be somewhere.

I would like to think that when authority does enquire about my being here, they will see it's best all round.  Unless some official solution to van dwellers, and the many tourists who may be trapped around the country has been arrived at by then.

This will keep Sir Cliff quiet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FxwEORDeng

Offline

#24 2020-03-24 11:47:18

vaz2121
Member
From: Glasgow Living:~ SW. Scotland
Registered: 2015-08-31
Posts: 1,103

Re: A form of isolation

I'm a little less miffed at being (back) home as I've a funny feeling had we had half a chance and after christmas messages and plans we could easily be stuck out in Galicia at her Dads place..............
To be fair given what we knew of her health checkups and the way things played out we'd be looking to head Now or in very near future as it's her birthday in May {We've done the birthday  trip thing to Spain before}..........

Her Dads place is effectively in middle of Nowhere and although he has a bit (Not much) of Land with  Orange trees... A goat.. Spannish perceived Stuff to keep him occupied I don't think he's stepped away in 3 weeks (I've no idea how he's managing) ...........

Apart from Human nature (The same last year when she lost her step mum)You just want to be there........... Probably the best thing (Counter-intuitive) we can do for him is stay away


I know a Couple that (Unfortunatly for some) had toured "around" and down to Portugal  justbefore christmas time.......... (Admittedly April time was expected sort of return)..........

They thought they'ed found A secluded spot to hold up in...........
Been Rounded up and moved on by Police with threats of fines at 1 am..........
Have now been given (Travel) Documents to show they have too return to Uk if challenged.........
But Can't get a booking to cross chanel in next 5 days or whatever they've got.........
{Do they head for Sangatte ?}


OOOPPPSS..........SORRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrMg4ivQb0Q

angel angel big_smile

Offline

#25 2020-03-24 14:20:41

OAT
Member
From: Borders/Dales
Registered: 2017-01-03
Posts: 613

Re: A form of isolation

There are indeed a lot of people in terrible situations abroad.  It seems many are being ignored by embassies, in far east etc.   Quite a few vans stuck in Spain, Portugal and France being sent to camps (doesn't that sound chilling?).

I had a visit from local police this am.  They agreed that I should stay put and said they had no specific instructions for campers as yet.

I couldn't hope for a safer or more pleasant place to be.

Thanks for the musical interlude vaz...at least it wasn't Mistletoe and Wine.  smile

Last edited by OAT (2020-03-24 14:22:58)

Offline

Board footer