The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-14 17:41:26

frank22

dispatch battery 1.9 2009

Hi ive had start up issues,     never related it to battery,     as its new   2 month old.     Had   mobile  auto  out to find fault.    he started up strait away,     says battery not enough power.      Im a window cleaner  so drive to place of work.   park up.  30 mins later ill move on  to park up again.     daily local.      Any suggestions regarding battery issue in my situation.      Any heavy duty batteries  that i would be better off .   this is the first time the van has gone like this in 8 years  in the same daily routine.

#2 2022-02-28 17:32:14

Gixer1985

Re: dispatch battery 1.9 2009

Not sure buddy.

Mine drains pretty quickly but traced the issue to the starter motor being on its last legs drawing some right amps when cranking. Or could just be a duff battery. Or is you brought a cheap one might not be the right rating ?

#3 2022-02-28 21:07:03

Pathfinder100

Maybe a better alternator that is capable of throwing more amps into the battery.  Is the alternator producing enough power to charge the battery?  You shouldn't really have an issue if you drive for 30 mins, then stop, rinse/repeat.  Best thing to do is put a multimeter on the battery first thing before you start it up and record the reading, do the same again after you get to your first job and record, then do it again before you set off to your second job, etc.  Compare to the table below to get what state the battery is in.  Maybe put the battery on charge overnight as well, then do a reading on it in the morning after leaving it for 20 mins to settle.  It should be 100% or near enough.  If it isn't, then send the battery back (if it's new).  If it isn't new then maybe replace it.

Battery-state-of-charge-for-Wet-and-AGM-400x311.png

The battery required for a 2.0 HDi is a 70ah.  I would assume it's the same for the 1.9.  You can check it on euro car parts.

It's also possible you have a parasitic drain somewhere on the electrical system.  Maybe a short or bad wiring.  If you take readings with a multimeter over a day while not using the van, the voltage should stay fairly constant.  If it isn't (and starts dropping), then you probably have something draining power.  Then it's a real clusterfuck trying to trace it.

Peugeot Expert 2006 2.0 Hdi 110 RHZ / DW10BTED+ 5 Speed Manual

#4 2022-02-28 22:15:33

kenbw2
Administrator

Yea an underpowered battery seems odd. I have a tiny one in mine - only 45Ah because it sits next to my leisure battery

It's lasted me 2 years and is only now struggling. Point being, even a battery with low oomph should still do you fine

I agree with Pathfinder, check the voltage after it's been sat overnight. If it's less than say 12.4v it could indicate the battery isn't being charged properly

Check the voltage with the engine running, should be above 14.0v

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#5 2022-06-16 00:01:17

Mrsuperheterodyne

I had trouble with my battery going flat. I would come home on a Saturday from work, leave the van unused on Sunday, come Monday morning it would need a jumper pack to get it going. Battery was 2 years old, so not ancient.

I tried to claim on Halfords 3 year warranty, thinking the battery must have deteriorated - but when they tested it, they had a "Good Battery" result on their CCA tester. [Was able to provide 520 CCA out of an original 640 CCA]. roll

Anyway, I thought I would have a look to see what sort of drain was on the battery with it sat - key out.
There was a 200mA draw which is quite high in my opinion for a constant 24/7 parasitic.
Reading on the internet, general opinion is that an older car should only have a draw of max 50mA when sitting with the key out. Newer cars of course have more systems, that will draw a little bit more.

So I started pulling fuses and it didn't take long to see that it was my ultra cheap car stereo that was drawing that amperage. Despite it being switched off, I think it hunts for Bluetooth connection or something like that even while it is off.

I left the fuse out and no more trouble with flat battery on Mondays.
Current draw is now 20mA to 30mA.

Just something to be aware of.

Because money is tighter than two coats of paint (thanks to cost of living crisis), I am going to put a switch on the + wire and fit it to the dash next to the radio. That way I can just isolate it at the end of the day, and keep using my cheap radio.  big_smile

Hope this helps someone else, because despite being simple to do - I just didn't consider it and automatically blamed the battery.

#6 2022-06-16 09:07:55

Casper

I have two batteries in my work Maxus as they are rebound for bean weak starters. Got 95Ah under the bonnet and 110 in the back using an old disabled chair lift wiring.

Anyway

https://www.wikihow.com/Find-a-Parasitic-Battery-Drain

#7 2022-06-16 22:47:37

JohnDragonMan
Website

the battery in my HDI charges at about 13.8v. i had the issue with mine when i got it, it ended up being a faulty auto sense relay on the tow bar electrics hidden behind he rear light. i only found it because i was sat in the back of my van just after i bought it reading the manual and grinning like a silly bugger (as i just bought a van and was very excited about what i was going to do with it/turn it into) and heard "clicking" noises. tracked it down and pulled the fuse out of it and its been fine since! hmm i do need to fix that..

- JohnDragonMan
Notice: I have the tendency to void warranties, blow fuses, cause fires, and other fun stuff.
Words of wisdom: Internally rust proof the sills and subframe! both skins!!. There's always user serviceable parts inside. "Oh that shouldn't have happened".
My 2005 Dispatch Camper Project big_smile

#8 2022-06-17 00:09:10

Casper

When i had my Pug Expert the ASR would click but in France one trip the leisure battery was almost dead when i got to a camp site what was odd. Investigating that it turned out to be a shit earth.

#9 2022-06-18 12:27:55

AlvyLad

Might be a bit off topic, pardon me!
My old (really old boy) m8's Honda Jazz battery was going, had it serviced- they went £170 notes- eff off thing; checked online few places and total for a 340AH (5000 series Yuasa) battery at Halfords £75, EuroCarParts £40 (cheapest) or £50 Yuasa 3000 series, remembered when few years bought bike batt from something like tyanna or whatever from Wales or something...
Vualia! £360 AH 5000 series Yuasa, including £8 delivery (litterally next day) under £50, checked the sticker etc- made in May this year!!!, changed it- cranked like weasel on drugs...

If all fails and you want-need new batt, I can only recommend Tayna.co.uk 096 batts with 600ah + crank rating
https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/varta/e11/
https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/exide/ea722/
https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/exide/ea770/

Board footer