The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-19 22:00:03

Casper

Changing Tax to Motorhome

I was always thinking a sink with running water was a must for to make DVLA happy. Turns out you dont need a sing

 a door that provides access to the living accommodation

 a bed, which has a minimum length of 1800mm or 6 feet. This can be converted from seats used for other purposes during the day but must be permanently fixed within the body of the vehicle

 a water storage tank or container on, or in, the vehicle

 a seating and dining area, permanently attached to the vehicle. The table may be detachable but must have some permanent means of attachment to the vehicle. It is not good enough to have a loose table

 a permanently fixed means of storage, a cupboard, locker or wardrobe

 a permanently fixed cooking facility within the vehicle, powered by gas or electricity

 at least one window on the side of the accommodation

converting-a-vehicle-into-a-motorhome.pdf

This makes me happy  big_smile

#2 2016-11-29 12:41:29

vaz2121

Re: Changing Tax to Motorhome

Casper wrote:

I was always thinking a sink with running water was a must for to make DVLA happy. Turns out you dont need a sing

 a door that provides access to the living accommodation

 a bed, which has a minimum length of 1800mm or 6 feet. This can be converted from seats used for other purposes during the day but must be permanently fixed within the body of the vehicle

 a water storage tank or container on, or in, the vehicle

 a seating and dining area, permanently attached to the vehicle. The table may be detachable but must have some permanent means of attachment to the vehicle. It is not good enough to have a loose table

 a permanently fixed means of storage, a cupboard, locker or wardrobe

 a permanently fixed cooking facility within the vehicle, powered by gas or electricity

 at least one window on the side of the accommodation

converting-a-vehicle-into-a-motorhome.pdf

This makes me happy  big_smile

Quite interested how you get on with this....keep us posted

My van is already registered as Motor-home, But rules must have changed as my water tank although is in van is not permanently fixed as it's removable for filling/cleaning........ Is this based on same idea as caravan Aqua rolls?? when plugged into sink plumbing

#3 2016-11-29 16:03:45

Casper

Wee while before changing any tax mate. Trying to save for larger van and next years jolly. Doubt i could buy and convert in time for going away next year. I do intend on putting a sink in regardless and this will be gravity fed. Hot water will just be boil a pot on the stove and i may get a small wall water heater if they dont draw to much power. Like this

corvette-wall.jpg

It would only get used when at campsites. Had i known about the water requirements i might have put more care and effort into the Expert and changed that tax but then again why bother if i am selling it next year. Next owner may just want it for a van or at least they will change things how they want it.

#4 2016-11-29 20:34:13

tee_cee

Doesn't actually change the tax class, just the "body shape". It's all a bit odd - they say it's a legal requirement to re-register and then set down a bunch of rules!
The other stuff about it looking like a motorhome, is equally vague.
The only advantage is that you can drive over 60mph, and it makes it easier to insure as a motorhome (which will be cheaper than a van).

#5 2016-11-29 20:49:08

Casper

Ferry ticket is also cheaper. I just booked as camper anyway. Dont you also get a cheaper toll on some motorways over Europe being a camper rather than commercial vehicle?

#6 2016-11-29 23:00:13

tee_cee

I'm not sure that the ferry people know that amount of detail. I've always booked as an MPV with P&O & Stena.
In France as long as you are less than 2m then its all the same rate (the Expert is 1.95m)
The only time anyone has ever asked to see the V5 was in the western Algarve last month. The GNR asked me if, specifically if I was a "motor caravan" - and fined me €25 for driving on a road where motorhomes were not permitted. Clearly a scam, but they seem to have have a lot of issues with free campers down there.

#7 2016-11-29 23:40:55

Casper

Here is an odd thing tee_cee. At the start of the year i was looking for ferry quotes. Cant remember if it was DFDS from Newcastle or P&O from Hull but i was getting a almost 200 quid more expensive quote for a van to camper. I just did a quick look on P&O Hull to Zeebrugge from the last Saturday in January for a week and it was almost 50 quid cheaper to take a van (Both same size) Winder if it was season related or i could have just made an arse of searching for my quote at the start of the year.

#8 2016-12-01 00:25:54

vaz2121

Casper wrote:

Here is an odd thing tee_cee. At the start of the year i was looking for ferry quotes. Cant remember if it was DFDS from Newcastle or P&O from Hull but i was getting a almost 200 quid more expensive quote for a van to camper. I just did a quick look on P&O Hull to Zeebrugge from the last Saturday in January for a week and it was almost 50 quid cheaper to take a van (Both same size) Winder if it was season related or i could have just made an arse of searching for my quote at the start of the year.

Vans are 99% of time ....always the dearest as ferry company want a slice  and always assume you are carrying some sort of freight.......

Consequently an Astra van costs  more than a transit motor-home

Board footer