The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-19 13:38:24

Dispatch2l

Engine Coolant Light

Hi there, i've got a 2.0l HDi 2006 Dispatch and i get the engine coolant light come on for maybe a minute over a week long period (i'm guessing this indicates the level is on the low side and it comes on around corners / hills etc).

The question is, can i just top up the level with more coolant? If so - is there a specific fluid i should use.

A friend has suggested just topping with water but i thought i'd ask the question what would you do here?

Ta.

#2 2016-12-19 14:04:17

Casper

Re: Engine Coolant Light

Open the bonnet and have a look. Your expansion tank will be low or empty. Dont just top up with water though as this time of year you want antifreeze as well. BTW it your needle sitting on the hot side. Mine sits just left of middle.

#3 2016-12-19 15:59:43

vaz2121

Best add at least some water antifreeze mix this time of year .... But as it's header tank neat antifreeze will be fine as you don't know how weak the mixture may have already become...... another note don't mix the red/pinkish and green/blue antifreeze together go like for like....

#4 2016-12-19 16:08:23

Casper

vaz2121 wrote:

another note don't mix the red/pinkish and green/blue antifreeze together go like for like....

Why is that? I never bothered over the years and bought whatever but someone mentioned it on another forum for the bikes. Last two times i did a complete flush anyway so no real worry.

#5 2016-12-19 16:10:21

Casper

Something else i noticed last night. As the OP has the 2.0 HDI. You can get plug in chips for these vans what allegedly give more power and up to 15% more MPG.

#6 2016-12-20 12:21:24

vaz2121

Casper wrote:
vaz2121 wrote:

another note don't mix the red/pinkish and green/blue antifreeze together go like for like....

Why is that? I never bothered over the years and bought whatever but someone mentioned it on another forum for the bikes. Last two times i did a complete flush anyway so no real worry.

I always believed it to be just a dye or a brand thing like Esso Blue or Pink Paraffin thing

I was told it can react with each other and curdle like milk or start to go chewing gummy  sludgy and  block water passages ....... Apparently It's got some thing to do with the additives that are used and Red is a colour indicator for long life Antifreeze....... So on safe side I never mix Red with the blue /green stuff (knowingly) as not looking to prove them right

#7 2016-12-20 12:34:10

vaz2121

Casper wrote:

Something else i noticed last night. As the OP has the 2.0 HDI. You can get plug in chips for these vans what allegedly give more power and up to 15% more MPG.

I don't see why not .. Being an HDI and there's  a couple late model 306's around here Ive noticed with big F*** off front mount Intercoolers and Lad at garage tells me that they either have those piggy back ECU's or been re-flashed

So I'd say you could get a few extra useful ponies safely out a HDI van for not a huge investment             angel

#8 2016-12-20 16:59:22

Casper

vaz2121 wrote:
Casper wrote:

I don't see why not .. Being an HDI and there's  a couple late model 306's around here Ive noticed with big F*** off front mount Intercoolers and Lad at garage tells me that they either have those piggy back ECU's or been re-flashed

So I'd say you could get a few extra useful ponies safely out a HDI van for not a huge investment             angel

99 quid

http://www.pro-bitz.com/eshop/products/ … /prod_1102

Ill be looking into this more when i get a larger van. Fancy the 2.8 Boxer now but the MWB is few and far between so if this is as good as it says then it would help the 2.2 no end, plus being a true Jock anything that saves me fuel is a winner  big_smile

Board footer