The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-17 10:46:00

karlcavanagh

Power steering failure

Hi

I have a 2009 Dispatch and the Power steering Failure light has come on and the steerings gone heavy. Is their anything I can check or do before handing it over to professionals.

Many thanks
Karl

#2 2017-07-17 11:59:05

OAT

Re: Power steering failure

I don't know the later models at all but a quick search suggests power steering problems are a common fault.  It's an electric pump and there was even a recall of earlier models than yours to sort a problem with the pumps earth.

Would be worth checking and cleaning the contacts if you can get at them.

#3 2017-07-17 13:41:09

karlcavanagh

Cheers, will do.

#4 2017-07-18 22:42:47

Casper

OAT wrote:

I don't know the later models at all but a quick search suggests power steering problems are a common fault.  It's an electric pump and there was even a recall of earlier models than yours to sort a problem with the pumps earth.

Would be worth checking and cleaning the contacts if you can get at them.

Why would it have a pump if electric? I have an electric system on my car and its shit as in not as smooth as hydraulic but still does not have a pump.

#5 2017-07-19 02:47:22

OAT

I assumed it must be a hydraulic system with an electric pump?

But don't ask me why!  roll   

Seem to be adding complexity for no good reason to me.

#6 2017-07-19 10:22:19

Casper

OAT wrote:

The way my car works is a cog in what looks like a magnetic wheel that gets powered when you start to turn the wheel. I will presume revered polarity for turning left and right. Being at the end of the steering rack it gets covered in road shit. Stupid system what works well in some cars but crap in others.

#7 2018-01-28 12:37:51

woodrow

THats right. it has an electric pump to pump the hydraulic fluid instead of it being run mechanically off a pulley belt!

It is more efficient and less strain on the engine as so you get better engine results ie fuel economy.

They are prone to going though.. They are made up of the pump and an ecu attached  full of circuitry and chips!

Mine has gone the same way. I am looking at getting it replaced but they are costly. you may be able to get yours reconditioned for a fraction of the price and maybe get a lifetime Guarantee to boot? ebay?

#8 2018-01-29 00:57:06

vaz2121

OAT wrote:

We have a Corsa in the fleet  "Electric power steering" --- No Hydraulics ----- Yet changing IIRC an Electric Hydraulic pump along with a friend for His Steering on a 1990 Grey Import MR2 of his about 2004 or there about

I feel like Now (these days) it's a case of what's most cost effective for Manufacturers and addresses their requirements the best rather than vehicles longevity or reliability in our long term ownership

karlcavanagh------- An all to Familiar phrase these days "A code reader should help" and like it or not it most probably will being electric power steering but not any generic reader (They'll only cover "P" codes)...... something like Peugeot planet that reads multiple on board systems......

Last edited by vaz2121 (2018-01-29 01:09:11)

#9 2018-02-26 13:39:12

woodrow

Thank you for the reply.

I had my diagnosed and they said it was the pump at fault so i have sent it for the recon it needs. its hopefully coming back today fixed with a lifetime garentee. £225 ebay. only problem is it takes about a week to get it all done. i have used the van tho!! drained all oil from rack etc... very heavy on the arms. lol

#10 2018-02-28 19:58:12

woodrow

just fitted my pump after it came back from BBA Reman.
The van and steering are exactly the same! cost is £300 upto now and lots of stress and hard work and i am still on the first square. took it back to my garage and they plugged it in to a snap-on diagnostic £6k worth.. they said its got the same error codes as before. they still think the electro-hydraulic pump is at fault!
BBA said they have changed a seal inside which failed and flooded the pcb? and motor! cleaned tested and sent back but i saw no sign of work on the unit.  joint seals look old and unbroken. not sure what to think! not happy.

#11 2018-03-06 18:35:48

woodrow

have a fault code of P0602  fault downloading or absence??? can anyone shed some light?

#12 2018-03-07 02:51:16

vaz2121

A code starting with"p" is Power train code i.e. engine management ...........

Not sure if power steering fall into that category

A quick google search and your P0602........

"If your OBD II equipped vehicle has stored a code P0602, it means that the powertrain control module (PCM) has detected an internal programming error. The programming error applies to the PCM itself.

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0602"

: http://citroen.jigsy.com/citroen-fault-codes

: https://www.troublecodes.net/pcodes/p0602/

Woodrow:
As a generic code it's not suggesting a good prognosis I'm afraid ...... Deeper investigation looks imminent

#13 2018-03-07 09:34:29

woodrow

will look into it. thanks again

#14 2018-03-30 20:36:15

woodrow

Hi all. Just to update you on this problem. after another diagnostic and a full wire connectivity check i decided on getting a second hand unit. i managed to get one delivered for £125 all in this was a good price as most were asking for £250 ish.
I put the pump on and all was resolved. steering is sweet as and better than i had ever had it!
This proved that the recon/repair had not been successful.. I duly  asked for a refund and low and behold i got one in full!  This i was grateful for
but it took so long and so much stress and hard work not to mention additional costs for diagnostics.. oh well lesson learnt. 

I must admit i have learnt alot about EHPS pumps in the process!! and the van in general and overpriced repair services that dont always work.

If you do need to change the pump your self it is quite easy so dont be afraid to have a go. note there are 3 types also. so make sure you have the right plug connection. also if they are second hand you wont need to have it coded to yr van as i was led to believe!! only new pumps need coding. if i had known this from the start i would have just bought a second hand pump!

Thanks for all involved. I hope this thread helps someone else.

#15 2019-06-21 07:57:56

miggiemonster

Hi Woodrow
I have had a similar problem, managed to get a pump from scrappers, but the black resovoir that takes the inlet feed is broken, of course the scrapper isn't interested, and can I get one for life can I hell, sods law that the lad who removed my old pump snapped the same piece of plastic so I can't take that one off.
NIGHTMARE

#16 2019-06-21 08:03:45

miggiemonster

If anybody has one of these black resovoirs that coves the pump, perhaps from an old unit please give me a yell, I would love to purchase it from you

Board footer