The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-13 20:04:48

Bobskigti

Alfa Wheels..

I’ve seen a few similar topics but I can find nothing anywhere which gives clear answers.. my steel 15inch rims with 2015/65/15 tyres are haggered and a set of 16inch Alfa 147/57 rims are available to me cheap (the round hole ones). I would have to shod them with 205/55/16 tyres I presume, both to fit under the arches without any modification and to keep the speedo etc in Sinc but these are a few questions that are stopping me from doing it until I have answers. 2005 900HDI Expert by the way.

Load bearing.. does anyone know what that is on these alfa wheels? I never use the van to get anywhere near 900kg but am dubious of any possible issues or dangers envolving this I know load especially in the front wheels under braking can dramatically be increased.

Presuming these wheels (which I’ve seen in a number of vans) have a lower load weight and the fact that I would have to fit car tyres to them and not the C rates van tyres that were on the original steelies, how does this effect an MOT test and insurance? Would it fail because of this?

Sorry if this post has been over done but would like some clarification, especially from the people who have them fitted and there experiences, if all else fails I suppose I’ve got no other option but to get the paint out and get rubbing down and spraying those steels.

Thanks

#2 2018-08-13 21:52:12

kenbw2
Administrator

Re: Alfa Wheels..

I went from steels to OEM alloys and had no problem with the insurance, although I made a point that they were OEM, the right size etc. I've never worried about making sure my tyres are C rated either.

Going up to 16" might be different. You might just about get away with them fitting. Your speedo should be okay, but check with a GPS how much you're currently overreading. You can then do maths to work out what % extra diameter you'd get on the new wheels.

I can't offer anything on the load rating, I'll let someone who knows more weigh in on that.

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#3 2018-10-08 18:20:29

Aslanexpert

Hi Guys, just registered with the site but have followed the discussions before about the old shape 2.0HDI expert and found the information available very good.

Ive also looked into the wheel and tyre issue and found that the OEM alloy wheels off the 806 people carrier of that time are not only the same size, but are also rated at a higher rated gross vehicle weight than the van making them a perfect upgrade.

I have a set of 4 of these wheels that i would like to sell if you know anyone that would be interested...?

#4 2018-10-09 02:45:06

vaz2121

Bobskigti wrote:

I’ve seen a few similar topics but I can find nothing anywhere which gives clear answers.. my steel 15inch rims with 2015/65/15 tyres are haggered and a set of 16inch Alfa 147/57 rims are available to me cheap (the round hole ones). I would have to shod them with 205/55/16 tyres I presume, both to fit under the arches without any modification and to keep the speedo etc in Sinc but these are a few questions that are stopping me from doing it until I have answers. 2005 900HDI Expert by the way.

Presuming these wheels (which I’ve seen in a number of vans) have a lower load weight and the fact that I would have to fit car tyres to them and not the C rates van tyres that were on the original steelies, how does this effect an MOT test and insurance? Would it fail because of this?

A 205/55-16 tyre is over half an inch smaller in overall height than a 205/65-15 tyre making it approx 2.5% smaller circumference .....So more rev's per mile = Speedo out of sync

You would be much closer with a 215/55-16 which is a size IIRC I'd on my Omega

I use this to assist matching tyre sizes

https://tiresize.com/height-calculator/

On a previous thread I spoke about  tyre load rates so have cut and paste some of it here

91 on a Tyre weight rating = 615kg per tyre X 4 = 2460Kg Gross ............ A little tight but should be ok  on van with 2330Kg Gross
However AXLE Weight obviously is 1230Kg weight evenly distubuted but as per norm the rear will carry more and is (Don't know what it is) probibly rated higher than the front axle
Hence why I Say 91's are a little tight (Just watch how loaded and heavy rear axle is plus sustained speeds) .............. 94xl's are probibly the better less worry option ....................

(94xl will most likley be the OEM tyre rate for the 806 you were talking about...... should find markings on side wall somewhere.. i.e. 94 extra load )

Most M.O.T.ers will be more interested in tread depth..... It would be roadside VOSA check that would condemn you if you were out of sorts

Last edited by vaz2121 (2018-10-09 03:04:34)

Board footer