The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-22 15:44:12

cliffo

Exhaust manifold - downpipe connector

Am I right in thinking that there is some flexibility built in (springy bolts or somesuch) where the manifold meets the downpipe?

Was driving the van this morning and it got very loud under acceleration just in front of me. Didn't get loud under same revs with no load so I think that the engine driving the gearbox opens up the joint a little bit.

Wondering if I can tighten this or muffle it with a fire blanket or something?

#2 2019-01-23 03:19:05

vaz2121

Re: Exhaust manifold - downpipe connector

cliffo wrote:

Am I right in thinking that there is some flexibility built in (springy bolts or somesuch) where the manifold meets the downpipe?

Was driving the van this morning and it got very loud under acceleration just in front of me. Didn't get loud under same revs with no load so I think that the engine driving the gearbox opens up the joint a little bit.

Wondering if I can tighten this or muffle it with a fire blanket or something?

It's been a while since I was under the van myself...... But I don't remember any flexy pipe or spring mounted flange bolts........ Although I do recal those 2 bolt clamp sleeve things

But is yours not a WAV with a side exhaust?........ Does it use the same type of sleeve or is it the benelli clamp type or maybe a combination

#3 2019-01-23 07:20:08

cliffo

vaz2121 wrote:

But is yours not a WAV with a side exhaust?........ Does it use the same type of sleeve or is it the benelli clamp type or maybe a combination

Yep, it's a WAV, maybe the connector is different. I was looking at it last summer and seem to remember that there is something that seems to hold the two together but will allow them to temporarily flex open a bit if the exhaust hits something - a kind of protection to stop it breaking off from being too rigid.

I'll have to wait until I can get on the jack

#4 2019-01-25 09:43:13

cliffo

Ah, EPER has the answer

hUzltY6.png

#5 2019-01-25 09:45:21

cliffo

So those nuts may need a tighten or a gasket replacement.

Wondering whether to use some exhaust paste or instant gasket

#6 2019-01-26 02:48:19

steve the grease

Have a look at the lower engine mounting . If worn this can allow the engine to move too much , giving just the symptoms you describe........ the part is cheap , but fitting is a pain.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-CITR … #vi-ilComp

#7 2019-01-26 13:28:37

cliffo

AGVEJ8X.jpg

Just taken this photo. Will try to see if I can tighten the connection and/or replace the gasket.

Also not overly happy about the oily bit, but this engine is over 20 year's old and the drips on the drive are few and far between.

#8 2019-01-26 13:31:06

cliffo

steve the grease wrote:

Have a look at the lower engine mounting . If worn this can allow the engine to move too much , giving just the symptoms you describe........ the part is cheap , but fitting is a pain.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-CITR … #vi-ilComp

Cheers Steve, I'll have a butcher's. Mind you I've only started noticing it since I replaced the rubber exhast hangers - it may be that I disturbed something or that the position the system is now in is not a sconducive to quieter running. There's a bit of flexible pipe between the down pipe and the first muffler box, I'll see if I can adjust that to get better closure if the remedial work on the manifold end doesn't work

#9 2019-01-26 17:48:14

cliffo

Well, I think I've found where the blowing is coming from. At the bottom of the manifold, just above where the downpipe joins, there is a pipe out up to the front of the engine. EPER calls it 'Pipe' in the EXHAUST GAS CONTROL DEVICE. Anyway, this is no longer screwed/bolted in to the manifold - it feels like the bolts have sheared off and are stuck in the manifold.

I've kludged it back on sealing it with Gun Gum and holding it in place with a few turns of garden wire (the remains of the bolts are acting as a reasonable locator). We'll see how it holds up for the short term - the longer term will be to remove the downpipe to get more access to it and then see if I can rig up some kind of clamp - that's probably going to have to wait until somewhat warmer weather.

Obviously the ideal would be to remove the manifold and either replace it or drill out the two bolts - but that's not really going to happen for a while.

NIZ7Yyj.png

Last edited by cliffo (2019-01-26 18:01:10)

Board footer