The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-21 11:27:35

pabblo

Fiat Scudo 2.0 JTD 2004, Orange K light illuminating on the dash?

Hi everyone, I'm seeking some advice on my Scudo! (2004, 2.0 JTD SX) We bought the van in November last year, and touch wood it has been pretty reliable so far. Just slowly tidying it up, and making it look a bit smarter to be in and be seen in smile

Yesterday we had a strange fault occur, I hadn't used the van for a couple of weeks or so. And had to make a trip out which required the van, I'd drove about 12 miles. Of which it was faultless as always and nothing seemed amiss, while I was out I decided to stop and top up the Diesel. Not that it was low, but I don't like to run a diesel low on fuel.

After I filled up an paid, I went back to start the van but it wouldn't start? It took a few minutes, and three attempts before it would go. And didn't seem very happy when it did start, I noticed when it did finally start there was an orange light illuminated on the dashboard. That I'd not seen before, it's orange and the outline is shape of the engine. With a large ''K'' in the middle, I drove the van to my destination but it seemed okay once I got going.

When I came to start it an hour and a half later, it started okay and seemed to run fine. But this orange ''K'' light did illuminate and extinguish frequently on the way home, I checked the handbook and Fiat refer to it as a light which is related to emissions?

I know the van doesn't originally have a DPF filter, I checked that with Fiat. Only a catalytic converter, which was why I bought it in the first place.

Anyway I wondered had anyone else experienced this fault, and is it just down to needing a bit of run on the motorway. And maybe some fuel cleaner etc.. or is there a sensor or other part. That could cause the light to come on, like the EGR valve, MAF, or Catalytic converter etc.. That I need to clean / replace?

I don't really want to leave it, as if there's a faulty part or a fix then I'd prefer to deal with it now. Than ignore it, and have a bigger problem or a breakdown later!

Many thanks.

Last edited by pabblo (2019-03-21 11:58:57)

#2 2019-03-21 13:32:03

Casper

Re: Fiat Scudo 2.0 JTD 2004, Orange K light illuminating on the dash?

Has your EGR got a sensor? Check wiring to them all including Lambda if it has one. The K also relates to injectors so check that area also

#3 2019-03-21 19:05:23

pabblo

Casper wrote:

Has your EGR got a sensor? Check wiring to them all including Lambda if it has one. The K also relates to injectors so check that area also

Thanks for the advice!! I was slightly worried it might be injector / fuel related. Which usually means something expensive, hopefully not though. I'll try an check all the connections at the weekend, and make sure there is no corrosion or damage to any of the connector plugs or wiring etc...

I spoke with my local Fiat dealer a little earlier, and they said that there was no sensor that goes directly in the EGR. Or a Lambda sensor on my van, but they did suggest the EGR itself. Or possibly a fuel rail pressure sensor, as things to look at.

Anyway, I will start with the basics as you suggested before I get too carried away!

#4 2019-03-21 21:23:16

Casper

May as well whip the EGR out for a look. This is not your van obviously but gives an idea how bloody dirty they get

https://vandogtraveller.com/seaside-mec … ing-stuff/

Or like the other chap post below this one you could blank the EGR off, even if its to test if this is your issue. As i said in the other post some vans/cars blanking the EGR could throw up error codes but i think your van will be to old for that. Im a great believer of trying teh cheap things first. If you want to clean your EGR i used break and clutch cleaner and a toothbrush. Came up like new

#5 2019-03-22 13:21:20

GRIFFIN

I got my Scudo a few weeks ago and first thing I did was change air and fuel filters then put in some Clean Drive fuel and exhaust system cleaner. By all accounts the local taxi drivers swear by the stuff, which makes a big difference in emissions at MoT time.

Cheers, Griff.

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same

#6 2019-03-22 13:41:01

pabblo

Casper wrote:

May as well whip the EGR out for a look. This is not your van obviously but gives an idea how bloody dirty they get

https://vandogtraveller.com/seaside-mec … ing-stuff/

Or like the other chap post below this one you could blank the EGR off, even if its to test if this is your issue. As i said in the other post some vans/cars blanking the EGR could throw up error codes but i think your van will be to old for that. Im a great believer of trying teh cheap things first. If you want to clean your EGR i used break and clutch cleaner and a toothbrush. Came up like new

Cheers for the link, gives me a good indication of what the EGR is not supposed to look like inside!

I'll check that out at the weekend hopefully, fingers crossed it's something as simple as that.

As you said, it pays to start with just the cheap an cheerful things first. Sometimes just a little bit of simple maintenance, goes a long way. On this Scudo the sliding doors wouldn't stay open, when we first bought it. I was looking at replacing the runners, but thought I'd just try a bit spray grease. As they looked a bit dry, sure enough did the trick. And the doors have worked perfectly since!!

Last edited by pabblo (2019-03-22 13:41:41)

#7 2019-03-23 20:19:21

Tiree
Administrator

I had a similar issue recently [never had starting issues before or since] - fuel filter was manky - I was late servicing the van. Tsk tsk!

2006 Citroen Dispatch 2.0HDi bought in July 2013 - Partial camper conversion ........

DSC_0360-1.jpg

#8 2019-04-18 16:45:26

pabblo

Tiree wrote:

I had a similar issue recently [never had starting issues before or since] - fuel filter was manky - I was late servicing the van. Tsk tsk!

A bit late in replying sorry, but thanks for the tips.

I did all the checks mentioned, and touch wood all appears okay.

I think someones replaced or cleaned the EGR, as it looked pretty decent inside. Did check the connectors and they looked fine, no obvious corrosion. But gave them a quick spray, with some decent maintenance spray just to be sure!!

I will check on the fuel filter and see when it was last done, as the garage we bought the van from did all the servicing on it. So if it's any longer than 12-18 months ago since it was changed, then it's certainly worth a go.

That said the van seems to be behaving itself as far as I know, as my dad hasn't mentioned the light coming on recently. So if I can prise the keys off him, I'll see over the weekend.

Might give it a run myself next week, and see how it gets on.

As I do a 80 mile round trip on the commute, should soon see!!

Last edited by pabblo (2019-04-18 16:45:55)

#9 2019-04-24 14:11:28

pabblo

Okay very strange, I was out yesterday and stopped after 30 minutes of driving. Then after 15 minutes jumped back in the van, it started and I drove it for a minute or so to another shop. Stopped there for another 15 minutes, jumped back in and it wouldn't start. It took 5 attempts, and on the 5th attempt in started but the dreaded K light is back on again?

No smoke or anything untoward out the back of the exhaust, and the van once started seems to run and drive okay once it's going. So bit miffed as to what it could be, as I thought my little clean of the contacts etc.. solved it. Did find out the fuel filter had been replaced, a month before I had the van apparently.

Also one thing I've never noticed before, the glow plug light does not illuminate at all? Could that be related, anyone have any idea's why that wouldn't be working. As I would like to fix it, my dad seemed to think it could be related to the glow plug relay. But that seems to click in and out okay when you start it, so I'm not really convinced it's that to be honest.

Thinking about it I had a similar problem, on a Fiat Doblo with a 1.9 JTD that wouldn't start at all when hot. And when it did, there was some smoke. That ( touch wood ) was partly solved, it seems by replacing the crank sensor and then the engine management temp switch. Which is located on the thermostat, I did notice last night the Scudo has an identical looking switch on the thermostat.

So I'm wondering, whether to give that a go?  I'm also going to have another look again at the obvious things at the weekend, and check all the thing's mentioned before.

Just to be 100 % I didn't miss anything!!

#10 2019-04-25 10:24:11

vaz2121

I'm not 100% sure but something  tells me the K light is to do with immobiliser .............. certainly engine management ...........
The reason I say this .......... My partners grandkids had been mucking about ............she the goes to van it wont start and the K light was on and her panicking at "What's that mean"...........
(I think it looks like an engine management light with a cross through it)
My handbook calls it just that "Engine diagnostics" But does not show the K'ish symbol

I found a magnet stuck to her key bunch that had come unglued (whatever) from a toy  (Or so we guessed)
As soon as it was removed the  van started  and No problems ever since.............
I'm not saying u have a magnet on your key chain but weak or faulty transponder or with it being the JTD (HDI equivalent)  Try reseting the BSI as thats what controls lots of body function including the immobiliser..............

The other option is plug in a code reader and see if any fault codes....... It my have nothing to do with an immobiliser fault
(I'm lead to believe there's a removal or get around of the immobiliser circuit)

#11 2019-04-25 16:05:10

k_wyndham_t

The big orange light with what looks like a K in the middle is the engine management error light on the electronic injection models just get it plugged in with an ODB2 reader and get the codes then you can work out what is going on. The ODB socket is above the drivers side footwell, I just use an ELM327 interface from ebay with Torque and this works fine, just costs a few quid.

#12 2019-04-26 10:02:26

pabblo

Cheers both, it seems I've now run into more trouble with it cry

My brother went out in the van yesterday, after leaving it at my grandparents house for most of the day. It started fine and the glow plug light did illuminate, but conked out barely 800 yards up the road and refused to restart?

Left it 30 minutes, and it restarted no problem mad So rather than drive home and risk another breakdown, we've drove it back to our grandparents house and left it there for now. I'll borrow a code reader and see what fault or faults it shows, fingers crossed as I'm very reluctant for any of us to drive it. As I don't want this to just conk out randomly, on the outside lane of the motorway etc..

Thanks as well for the suggestion on the code reader, I'll be looking into getting one as it'll be a useful tool to have anyway.

#13 2019-06-19 15:11:08

pabblo

Hi, thought I'd give an update on this.

Popped the code reader on, but was showing no recorded faults?

So after the hassle we'd had before on the Fiat Doblo, which showed similar but not identical issues. I bit the bullet and fitted a new engine management temp switch, was a bit awkward to get at with the air box in place!!

Seems to have partly solved the problem, but still not a 100% convinced it's the main cause of the issue. So I bought a new crank sensor, and a local garage my dad uses are going to fit it.

As we couldn't find the flipping thing? maybe I need to go to spec savers  lol

With any luck those two items, will solve the issues. Fingers crossed!!

#14 2019-06-24 15:24:08

Tiree
Administrator

Hey Pabblo - thanks for the update.

It's possible I'm starting to see the early signs of the same problem - have had unexplained failures to start when warm, which disappear after 5 mins or so.

And today I had a cut-out and the engine management light came on.

Started up OK again but need more reliability than that!

Going to get code reader on it this eve and see if it tells me anything.

Let us know how you get on.

2006 Citroen Dispatch 2.0HDi bought in July 2013 - Partial camper conversion ........

DSC_0360-1.jpg

#15 2019-07-22 15:22:07

pabblo

Tiree wrote:

Hey Pabblo - thanks for the update.

It's possible I'm starting to see the early signs of the same problem - have had unexplained failures to start when warm, which disappear after 5 mins or so.

And today I had a cut-out and the engine management light came on.

Started up OK again but need more reliability than that!

Going to get code reader on it this eve and see if it tells me anything.

Let us know how you get on.

Hi sorry for the late reply, how did you get on Tiree?

Since I last posted, we had the crank sensor fitted and all seemed well.

Until a week later, when the van wouldn't restart after a short trip. Took the battery off as it seemed to die pretty quickly, and had it tested by a local car parts shop.

Who declared the battery as being past it's best, so bought a brand new one and all was well. The parts shop suggested nipping back to the garage, and have any fault codes cleared in case the fault pops up again. My dad popped to the local garage who'd fitted the crank sensor, and they cleared six fault codes.

Unfortunately my dad didn't ask what they were, would of been handy. But the van seemed fine, and the K-light went so we was hopeful of a good result.

Err... no.. last week after the battery, the van just conked out without warning on a roundabout miles away from home. But barely two miles from the job, where my dad had started back from. Baring in mind it had been sat for 6-7 hours or more, since it was driven that morning.

My dad tried for a couple of hours on an off to see if it would restart, but no joy. He did say that he couldn't hear the relay click for the pump, which is the brown relay nearest to the passenger wing. Fiat part is :- 9629945980

Anyway once I got there I tried to unplug it, but couldn't fathom why it wouldn't pull off. It has some red tabs on the connector plug, that I couldn't push in but I think they might pull out? Anyway I undid the screw, but as I could get no further I popped it back on.

Gave it a few gentle taps on the off chance, turned the key and what do you know it fired up!! Now I don't know if it's coincidence, or what the deal is?

My dad's got the van booked in, at the local garage to check for any fault codes. As the diagnostic tool I have access too, just won't read this van for some reason!

I've seen loads of these brown relays on eBay, and they seem to be all missing. From out of the vans I found in my local yards, so I'm wondering if they are a common source of problems perhaps?

#16 2019-07-23 07:11:02

Ricko

I've got an old Frontera that was throwing up an EGR fault, took out the EGR and cleaned it etc, still showed the fault. Noticed a split vacuum pipe, so replaced it, hey presto no EGR fault showing!

2004 Citroen Dispatch 2.0 Hdi

#17 2019-07-23 14:43:07

pabblo

Ricko wrote:

I've got an old Frontera that was throwing up an EGR fault, took out the EGR and cleaned it etc, still showed the fault. Noticed a split vacuum pipe, so replaced it, hey presto no EGR fault showing!

Ah okay Ricko, thanks for the tip will check that too as it's well worth a try!

Had something similar on my old Fiat Punto GT, a vacuum pipe split which caused the turbo not to cut in.

The garage had a look yesterday afternoon, and all 6 fault codes are back. My dad tried running the van round locally before hand just to see, and it did the same as before when it broke down. Just cut out, and then wouldn't restart.

But a few hours later, fired up with the K-light on.

Fault codes are showing low fuel rail pressure, pump, egr and injector, and a couple of others.

But I will ask what the exact codes are, they reckon that the fuel isn't getting to the filter or past it. So I'm not sure that it is electrical if that's the case, hard to say at this stage. But I know ECU faults & wiring breaks, are common on these models from what I have found researching online.

So they are going to see if the filter is blocked, and are checking out the in tank pump just in case there's a fault there. Really hope they find it, something daft like the vacuum pipe is dodgy.

Just something obvious, as it's causing some stress at the minute sad

Fingers crossed!!

Last edited by pabblo (2019-07-23 14:44:11)

#18 2019-07-23 21:39:46

Tiree
Administrator

pabblo wrote:

Hey Pabblo ..

My van had been OK for a while - but another 2 two delayed starts in the last week .. I'll update the issue's own thread with where I'm at with it ...

DSC_0360-1.jpg

#19 2019-08-13 15:59:41

pabblo

Tiree wrote:
pabblo wrote:

Hey Pabblo ..

My van had been OK for a while - but another 2 two delayed starts in the last week .. I'll update the issue's own thread with where I'm at with it ...

Just read up on your update Tiree, my dad has got the van booked back in at his local garage.

As from the diagnosis last time, they seem convinced it's a fault with the in tank pump.

And are going to check it and the wiring to that, and see if it's working correctly.

But now I'm swinging more towards that brown relay, as thinking logically I've never heard that click on when the van wouldn't start.

So I'll see how we go at the garage, but will probably get a relay as they are cheap enough new.

At least I know how to unplug the thing now, couldn't figure out those red clips when we was stuck at the side of the road!

#20 2019-08-14 09:56:00

Tiree
Administrator

pabblo wrote:

Just read up on your update Tiree, my dad has got the van booked back in at his local garage.

As from the diagnosis last time, they seem convinced it's a fault with the in tank pump.

And are going to check it and the wiring to that, and see if it's working correctly.

But now I'm swinging more towards that brown relay, as thinking logically I've never heard that click on when the van wouldn't start.

So I'll see how we go at the garage, but will probably get a relay as they are cheap enough new.

At least I know how to unplug the thing now, couldn't figure out those red clips when we was stuck at the side of the road!

Sounds like you and I are heading in the same direction pabblo! Lift / in-tank pump definitely does not kick in when the van won't start. I have a replacement relay in my hand and will test it out today. Will update original thread with more info ...

DSC_0360-1.jpg

#21 2019-08-14 13:20:22

pabblo

Hopefully it's sorted once the relay is replaced on yours, touch wood an all that!!

In the meantime I'll let the garage do there thing, on checking the in tank lift pump and wiring.

As I've read elsewhere, these van's can be prone to wring corrosion issues. So at least if it's checked out, then we can rule it out 100%.

Likewise, I'll update once I know more big_smile

#22 2019-08-19 17:21:58

Tiree
Administrator

pabblo wrote:

Hopefully it's sorted once the relay is replaced on yours, touch wood an all that!!

Sadly, nope!

https://dispatchexpertscudo.org.uk/foru … 5659#p5659

Onto the lift pump & wiring - like yourself.

You had any luck?

What's your mileage btw?

DSC_0360-1.jpg

#23 2019-08-21 12:42:17

pabblo

Hi, mileage is at 137,000.

No luck as yet as it's still at the garage, but hopefully we should know later today or by Friday if they've found anything smile

Dam it!! was optimistic that the relay might be the cause.

But obviously not, hope all goes well with testing the pump.

Will post up, as soon as I know anything.

#24 2019-08-23 14:17:32

pabblo

A bit of news, the garage phoned today and they have replaced the in tank fuel pump.

As they checked the wiring and found no breaks, or damaged connections after dropping the tank to get at the pump.

They checked the pump and believe it's not working correctly, apparently getting one was a bit of struggle though.

And took a fair bit of phoning around to find someone who had one, I think they said it was Euro car parts who had a Bosch one in stock.

So at least it's like for like compared to the original, we'll see over the next week how the van goes.

As me and Tiree seem to be down to the same item, I'm touching wood and keeping all my fingers crossed.

That this is fixed and no more issues, after breaking down a fair few times.

The novelty of that wares off quick!! I'm still on the fence as to whether this is definitely the cause.

But trying to remain upbeat, that there might be some light at the end of the tunnel.

Wish us luck smile

#25 2019-08-23 14:23:06

Tiree
Administrator

Fingers crossed for you Pabblo!

Can I ask how much the new pump cost?

I'm going to try to diagnose mine a bit further this weekend by hooking the pump electrical supply to a meter to see if it's getting power when it fails.

This will hopefully point to, or rule out, a wiring issue or some other issue back up in the engine bay.

Good luck!  big_smile

DSC_0360-1.jpg

Board footer