The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-21 11:27:35

pabblo

Fiat Scudo 2.0 JTD 2004, Orange K light illuminating on the dash?

Hi everyone, I'm seeking some advice on my Scudo! (2004, 2.0 JTD SX) We bought the van in November last year, and touch wood it has been pretty reliable so far. Just slowly tidying it up, and making it look a bit smarter to be in and be seen in smile

Yesterday we had a strange fault occur, I hadn't used the van for a couple of weeks or so. And had to make a trip out which required the van, I'd drove about 12 miles. Of which it was faultless as always and nothing seemed amiss, while I was out I decided to stop and top up the Diesel. Not that it was low, but I don't like to run a diesel low on fuel.

After I filled up an paid, I went back to start the van but it wouldn't start? It took a few minutes, and three attempts before it would go. And didn't seem very happy when it did start, I noticed when it did finally start there was an orange light illuminated on the dashboard. That I'd not seen before, it's orange and the outline is shape of the engine. With a large ''K'' in the middle, I drove the van to my destination but it seemed okay once I got going.

When I came to start it an hour and a half later, it started okay and seemed to run fine. But this orange ''K'' light did illuminate and extinguish frequently on the way home, I checked the handbook and Fiat refer to it as a light which is related to emissions?

I know the van doesn't originally have a DPF filter, I checked that with Fiat. Only a catalytic converter, which was why I bought it in the first place.

Anyway I wondered had anyone else experienced this fault, and is it just down to needing a bit of run on the motorway. And maybe some fuel cleaner etc.. or is there a sensor or other part. That could cause the light to come on, like the EGR valve, MAF, or Catalytic converter etc.. That I need to clean / replace?

I don't really want to leave it, as if there's a faulty part or a fix then I'd prefer to deal with it now. Than ignore it, and have a bigger problem or a breakdown later!

Many thanks.

Last edited by pabblo (2019-03-21 11:58:57)

#2 2019-03-21 13:32:03

Casper

Re: Fiat Scudo 2.0 JTD 2004, Orange K light illuminating on the dash?

Has your EGR got a sensor? Check wiring to them all including Lambda if it has one. The K also relates to injectors so check that area also

#3 2019-03-21 19:05:23

pabblo

Casper wrote:

Has your EGR got a sensor? Check wiring to them all including Lambda if it has one. The K also relates to injectors so check that area also

Thanks for the advice!! I was slightly worried it might be injector / fuel related. Which usually means something expensive, hopefully not though. I'll try an check all the connections at the weekend, and make sure there is no corrosion or damage to any of the connector plugs or wiring etc...

I spoke with my local Fiat dealer a little earlier, and they said that there was no sensor that goes directly in the EGR. Or a Lambda sensor on my van, but they did suggest the EGR itself. Or possibly a fuel rail pressure sensor, as things to look at.

Anyway, I will start with the basics as you suggested before I get too carried away!

#4 2019-03-21 21:23:16

Casper

May as well whip the EGR out for a look. This is not your van obviously but gives an idea how bloody dirty they get

https://vandogtraveller.com/seaside-mec … ing-stuff/

Or like the other chap post below this one you could blank the EGR off, even if its to test if this is your issue. As i said in the other post some vans/cars blanking the EGR could throw up error codes but i think your van will be to old for that. Im a great believer of trying teh cheap things first. If you want to clean your EGR i used break and clutch cleaner and a toothbrush. Came up like new

#5 2019-03-22 13:21:20

GRIFFIN

I got my Scudo a few weeks ago and first thing I did was change air and fuel filters then put in some Clean Drive fuel and exhaust system cleaner. By all accounts the local taxi drivers swear by the stuff, which makes a big difference in emissions at MoT time.

Cheers, Griff.

#6 2019-03-22 13:41:01

pabblo

Casper wrote:

May as well whip the EGR out for a look. This is not your van obviously but gives an idea how bloody dirty they get

https://vandogtraveller.com/seaside-mec … ing-stuff/

Or like the other chap post below this one you could blank the EGR off, even if its to test if this is your issue. As i said in the other post some vans/cars blanking the EGR could throw up error codes but i think your van will be to old for that. Im a great believer of trying teh cheap things first. If you want to clean your EGR i used break and clutch cleaner and a toothbrush. Came up like new

Cheers for the link, gives me a good indication of what the EGR is not supposed to look like inside!

I'll check that out at the weekend hopefully, fingers crossed it's something as simple as that.

As you said, it pays to start with just the cheap an cheerful things first. Sometimes just a little bit of simple maintenance, goes a long way. On this Scudo the sliding doors wouldn't stay open, when we first bought it. I was looking at replacing the runners, but thought I'd just try a bit spray grease. As they looked a bit dry, sure enough did the trick. And the doors have worked perfectly since!!

Last edited by pabblo (2019-03-22 13:41:41)

#7 2019-03-23 20:19:21

Tiree
Administrator

I had a similar issue recently [never had starting issues before or since] - fuel filter was manky - I was late servicing the van. Tsk tsk!

2006 Citroen Dispatch 2.0HDi bought in July 2013 - Partial camper conversion ........

mini_citroen-dispatch2.jpeg

#8 2019-04-18 16:45:26

pabblo

Tiree wrote:

I had a similar issue recently [never had starting issues before or since] - fuel filter was manky - I was late servicing the van. Tsk tsk!

A bit late in replying sorry, but thanks for the tips.

I did all the checks mentioned, and touch wood all appears okay.

I think someones replaced or cleaned the EGR, as it looked pretty decent inside. Did check the connectors and they looked fine, no obvious corrosion. But gave them a quick spray, with some decent maintenance spray just to be sure!!

I will check on the fuel filter and see when it was last done, as the garage we bought the van from did all the servicing on it. So if it's any longer than 12-18 months ago since it was changed, then it's certainly worth a go.

That said the van seems to be behaving itself as far as I know, as my dad hasn't mentioned the light coming on recently. So if I can prise the keys off him, I'll see over the weekend.

Might give it a run myself next week, and see how it gets on.

As I do a 80 mile round trip on the commute, should soon see!!

Last edited by pabblo (2019-04-18 16:45:55)

Board footer