The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-07 23:38:31

cliffo

Rust hole in front subframe

Well, this is not very encouraging.

Hole in subframe

Can I get a new piece welded in or will that fail the MoT?

How tricky is fitting a replacement subframe?

#2 2019-07-08 00:02:01

vaz2121

Re: Rust hole in front subframe

You can get it patched .......... but many MOT men really don't like it and many welders dislike doing it..........
Trickiest part will be not braking subframe bolts

Sorry A replacemet Sub frame is more time consuming than tricky (and then changing everything over) as usually needed dropped for clutch change ....box out

(I did once have welded up a shocker mount on of all things a lower suspension arm on a Fiat 126 that had ripped rather than rotted............. The welder wasn't keen but ground back all welds and lots of bitumin sealent){it lasted till car died off with the other side doing the same.......... Think some rot helped}

#3 2019-07-08 21:25:36

ruston

Mine went in a similar place and I welded a patch over it. Coated it with Waxoyl afterwards and it has passed two MOT's since with no problem.  I had intended fitting a replacement frame, (finding a good one could be a challenge though)  however despite using a lot of release fluid and patience no way were the bolts coming out without shearing the captive nuts so out came the mig!  If ever I had a van from new I would take the bolts out and coat them with copper grease, saves hours of struggling later, however that doesn't happen in the real world! roll

Pete.

#4 2019-07-09 05:17:14

cliffo

Cheers folks.

Thinking about it - that pat of the frame is forward of the suspension and the main fixing to the body so I guess it doesn't get as much stress as the section behind the wishbone and, therefore, less chance of a catastrophic failure at 'speed'

Last edited by cliffo (2019-07-09 05:19:41)

#5 2020-01-10 00:18:59

unter
Website

I would actually use modeling skills to exactly replicate the surrounding rusty metal so they dont see it on the mot inspection..
fill it with anything, then carefully disguise it using rust techniques or whatever it takes.

monkey vano

Board footer