The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-26 18:41:32

Ricko

A blitz on NW Scotland

I needed a change of scenery...
Day 1 Motored north, headed for Gourock, crossed to Dunoon, rolled into Jubilee Point in the Bute Forest on the way to Inverary.
Day 2 Headed up to Inverary, started to follow my nose up towards Tyndrum, Glencoe, Ft William. Headed over to Glenelg and spent the evening on the beach in the drizzle. Parked up on the Mam Ratagan pass.
Day 3 Having decided that I'm not fit enough to tackle Beinn Sgreathall I headed over to Skye and had a lovely drive round. Headed to Plockton then over to Inverness. Headed down the glens and parked up south of Glasgow at Biggar.
Day 4 Drove over to Hawick and found the track to Riccarton Junction, walked over to have a look at the abandoned village then started south.
Photos to follow.
I really must find a travelling companion so that I don't spend all the time driving!!
A fine adventure.

2004 Citroen Dispatch 2.0 Hdi

#2 2019-08-26 18:43:55

Ricko

Re: A blitz on NW Scotland

20190825_115239.jpeg
Skye

20190824_155545.jpeg
Sandaig beach, near Glenelg

Last edited by Ricko (2019-08-26 18:58:49)

#3 2019-08-26 21:02:04

Tiree
Administrator

Wow .. good work Ricko! Absolutely no messin about there!

2006 Citroen Dispatch 2.0HDi bought in July 2013 - Partial camper conversion ........

DSC_0360-1.jpg

#4 2019-08-27 07:10:27

Ricko

The van performed well, its approaching 200K. I was going to stick to Dumfries and Galloway but I thought what the heck.
The Dunnon ferry has crept up to £18 but it was a holiday treat I dont use it often.
Usual travelling fayre: porridge, soup, packet pasta cooked on a gas trangia
About 48mpg, not as good as I'd hoped but not bad.

#5 2019-08-27 09:55:52

Tiree
Administrator

48mpg sounds great. I seem to get a pretty steady 45 no matter what I do - and that's with the MAF disconnected.

I reckon £18 is still decent value for the Dunoon ferry - given it saves you an 80-odd mile trip.

I'm planning a slightly more modest route soon [once I get this lift-pump issue sorted]:

- Galloway to Ardrossan
- Ardrossan --> ferry to Brodick, Arran
- Tour Arran [night in Lamlash]
- Lochranza --> ferry to Claonaig on Kintyre
- Up through Kintyre [night in Tarbert or Tayvallich]
- Round Loch Fyne and down Cowal Peninsula
- Colintraive --> ferry to Rhubodach, Bute
- Tour Bute [night in Rothesay]
- Rothesay --> ferry to Wemyss Bay & home to Galloway

Subject to change tongue

2006 Citroen Dispatch 2.0HDi bought in July 2013 - Partial camper conversion ........

DSC_0360-1.jpg

#6 2019-08-27 13:22:49

vaz2121

Tiree wrote:

48mpg sounds great. I seem to get a pretty steady 45 no matter what I do - and that's with the MAF disconnected.

I reckon £18 is still decent value for the Dunoon ferry - given it saves you an 80-odd mile trip.

I'm planning a slightly more modest route soon [once I get this lift-pump issue sorted]:

- Galloway to Ardrossan
- Ardrossan --> ferry to Brodick, Arran
- Tour Arran [night in Lamlash]
- Lochranza --> ferry to Claonaig on Kintyre
- Up through Kintyre [night in Tarbert or Tayvallich]
- Round Loch Fyne and down Cowal Peninsula
- Colintraive --> ferry to Rhubodach, Bute
- Tour Bute [night in Rothesay]
- Rothesay --> ferry to Wemyss Bay & home to Galloway

Subject to change tongue

That sounds like a brilliant plan and can vouch having completed something similar a good few yrs ago..................(By Motorcycle)
Tarbet Loch Fyne over night to me sounds optomistic Unless your talking in the region of Or you have a Secret hidey whole .............
Just after Kames (Tighnabruaich) on the Road to Carry is a huge space you can over night on .............
(You could get here via the Tarbet - Portavadie ferry if you wished)
There should still be one or two usable spaces as we have (Tent) right on waters edge if you dig them out ..........
It looks over the kyles of Bute and not that far in the great scheme of things from Colintraive ................

I've a very long standing friend who's a regular on the Rothesay - Wemyss Bay ferry as he all but lives on the island now ...........

#7 2019-08-27 14:14:57

OAT

vaz2121 wrote:

Tarbet Loch Fyne over night to me sounds optomistic Unless your talking in the region of Or you have a Secret hidey whole .............

I thought Lomond NP area was ok if you bought a permit?

#8 2019-08-27 14:24:00

Tiree
Administrator

Cheers Vaz ..

I live in the middle of nowhere so, while I love wild camping and parking up in the sticks, sometimes I'm in the mood for town & villages, pub grub, beers and random company smile

My van just looks like a plain old white worky panel van as far as anyone passing is concerned so not really any problems parking up anywhere - I spend a lot of time up in Glasgow and often sleep in the van - I have my favourite quiet spots - never had any bother.

So Tarbert should be OK I think if that's where I go for.

I'd forgotten about the Tarbert - Portavadie ferry actually ... Not been on it before so I might work that into my plans either this time or next.

I like a ferry!

DSC_0360-1.jpg

#9 2019-08-27 14:27:44

Tiree
Administrator

OAT wrote:

I thought Lomond NP area was ok if you bought a permit?

Different Tarbert :-) https://goo.gl/maps/ZW8YfWaVicVZbQ8S7

There are many!

And yep you're right all good with a permit I think.

DSC_0360-1.jpg

#10 2019-08-27 18:26:39

vaz2121

Tiree wrote:

Cheers Vaz ..

I live in the middle of nowhere so, while I love wild camping and parking up in the sticks, sometimes I'm in the mood for town & villages, pub grub, beers and random company smile

My van just looks like a plain old white worky panel van as far as anyone passing is concerned so not really any problems parking up anywhere - I spend a lot of time up in Glasgow and often sleep in the van - I have my favourite quiet spots - never had any bother.

So Tarbert should be OK I think if that's where I go for.

I'd forgotten about the Tarbert - Portavadie ferry actually ... Not been on it before so I might work that into my plans either this time or next.

I like a ferry!

I've done that very thing myself ........... So long as no outward appearance of habitation should be fine
(Not so easy for the MemSaab if needing a pee in middle of night as she insists on a pre - bed coffee)

Last proper time being in Glasgow at the Royal infirmary about a year ago as I had a HGV medical stress test over two days..............
Actually I'm a City kid allegedly being born in Glasgow and being there till about 7 then in East kibride till I was 12 then moving down to Irvine Ayrshire till I was about 20 then too Turnberry and I sort of ended up here in D&G when I met the ex MRS when she/We settled with what I thought was a hefty Ex-pat Italian comunity for the population (Maybe they just come out the woodwork)

Anyway if you decide on Tarbet Loch Fyne think about the Car Parks around the Marina (Maybe you already have) rather than quayside ......
When we were there the Toilet block from what I saw there was Shower and Laundry  facilities ( That might just have been opened because of  that Boat festival)

In some respect just can't get enough of the West Coast these days .......... (And Orkney)
A little off topic if you ever find yourself in Stromness on Orkney They definitely have Shower and Laundry  facilities inc tumble driers in the (NorthLink) Ferry terminal ...........

Board footer