The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-24 18:54:15

Shakes

Expansion tank cap cross-threaded....

mad

Just noticed something. The mechanic who installed my 'new' engine did a great job, except for one thing. He's only gone and cross-threaded the crap plastic radiator cap which these vans are cursed with...

Normally, it should click into place on the final turn. Now, it goes past that point and won't unscrew without a struggle. Had this problem before.

Do I need to buy just a cap, or a whole new expansion tank?

Should I take the van on a long run with the cap as is....I suspect it will not operate correctly as a pressure-relief valve

And why did Peugeot see fit to use such a terrible design?????

mad  mad  mad  mad

#2 2019-10-25 11:25:13

kenbw2

Re: Expansion tank cap cross-threaded....

FWIW I drove mine for about 50 miles without the cap on, I was pretty scared I'd have reduced its cooling ability, but evidently I got away with it.

Does yours screw on or is it one of those half-turn kinds?

The tank is pretty easy to replace if it comes to it

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion + full time home
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#3 2019-10-25 20:56:16

OAT

Shakes wrote:

mad

And why did Peugeot see fit to use such a terrible design?????

mad  mad  mad  mad

Because they are French? wink  I still laugh when I remember those victorian looking glass bottles Renault used until not too long ago.

#4 2019-10-27 20:57:31

Shakes

Just completed a 200 mile run to my Mum's in Cornwall and back, without fault. The cap is screwed on, but incorrectly. Didn't seem to cause any issues.
On the plus side, Brenda's new engine seems to be excellent.
She flies past everything on the open road, with the exception of the odd Audi and Porsche.
Next jobs: emissions test, EGR blanking, new gear linkages and cables, new intercooler, front suspension rebuild with Monroe shocks and springs with new strut bearings, lower arms, CV joints, discs and pads.
Then, luxury stealth camper conversion (I have the plywood already, all free of course)
Dare to dream?

Board footer