The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-17 16:17:04

Chri5

5 year dud scudo to camper... In theory

Hi first post,
So I bought a scudo II that's been sat in work for 5+ years "broken" so I bought it for scrap value in q blind sale my plan is to do a conversion into a 2.5 birth camper

I hope to do a detailed build on here. I have nearly 9 years experience as a technical salesman of campervan conversation equipment at one of Britain's leading suppliers

The van is a 07 scudo 120 multijet none runner since  2014 but full dealership service history untill then I plan to build and design everything even the electrics and hopefully the poptop (tbc)

So got the thing home and started work. first clean 5 years of mold of then get the thing start which only took a new starter cheap £55 job of ebay with a 2 year warranty and a couple of fuses and turned right over and no errors on the diagnostics so we will see what comes up when I getting driving around

The plan is to have a wall mounted sliding bed and a low kitchenette cupboard on the other side no full height cupboard like the T5 crowd but maybe roof corner cupboards and hopefully a custom poptop built by me but we will see if that is biting off more than I can chew

I'll post some pics of the van as I bought it shortly

This will be the first conversion I've undertaken in totality but I've asisted on a few

#2 2019-11-17 20:26:05

OAT

Re: 5 year dud scudo to camper... In theory

Hello and welcome.  smile

I am sure there will be much interest in following your conversion.  There are quite a few campers here and you should find links to a couple of their conversions somewhere.

#3 2019-11-17 23:31:10

Anchor1979
Website

Welcome along Chri5, sounds like an interesting project. Look forward to seeing the progress  smile

#4 2019-11-18 00:10:50

vaz2121

Hi.... welcome along......
I'm interested why it lay for 5 yrs broken.........
Was it miss diagnosed  and was really in need for a starter? (Was a mention recently subjectively somwhere here) .............
Is it the 1.6 HDI or 2.0 8v or 16v HDI as I believe some vans around 07/8 all dependent were without DPF

I'm assuming it could be fairly low mileage ...............

#5 2019-11-18 01:52:56

Chri5

It was laid up before I started at my employer. it was dead in the car park and no one had bothered to get it going or tow it to a garage so they blind bid it and an old company mpv, so no info given on them. The last MOT was Feb 14.

The van is the 2.0 JTD I believe it's the 16v but I may be mistaken used Siemens ECU on the diagnostics computer (not that I really know what I'm doing with it) with 75k

Once I towed it home had a play around,  replaced fuses, cleaned the grounds in the engine bay got a new battery the starter wouldn't crank just a click so tested the starter motor on a table after removing it. It did function as it should unloaded.i went to work on the rest of the circuit. I flowed from the wiring back from the starter solenoid control wire and traced no fault so I suspected a poor solenoid I looked on line a replacement solenoid was 20 quid that might fit (starter could already be aftermarket) or 55 for a cheap starter with 2 year warranty so I went with that. Once that was swapped fired up on the first turn.

Here's a pic half way through the exterior cleaning after soaking in "no nonsense mold remover" from Screwfix
IMG-20191117-WA0001_20191117161711286.jpeg

Last edited by Chri5 (2019-11-18 17:00:10)

#6 2019-11-19 00:10:49

vaz2121

75k for that age of van is low mileage even for back then and assuming nothing else rears it's head a bit of a bargain by the sounds............
Being badged up as a FIAT ........... JTD is their take/name on a Common rail Diesel  (Same as GM europe called their 1.3 and 1.9 Diesels CDTI when they were basically FIAT Diesels) .......

I'm fairly sure it's the 2.0 HDI that's in it Being that it was assembled in the SEVEL NORD Factory ..............
My guess is a DW10UTED4 .... I think RHK is 16v

But No real idea if 8v or 16v with or without FAP (Definite bonus if not) ................

#7 2019-11-19 03:42:55

Chri5

Yeah the 2.0 hdi is what I think it is I used various car vids to locate all the wiring seems a very much the same I suspect it is the DW10UTED4. Seems to match the engine on fiatdalys

FAPS - by this you mean?? This is the first diesel I've worked so I don't know many abbreviations. ive Always worked on motorbikes, bar service stuff on my wife's cars so there will be loads of gaps in my knowledge but that's half the fun

#8 2019-11-19 12:29:08

vaz2121

Chri5 wrote:

FAPS - by this you mean?? This is the first diesel I've worked so I don't know many abbreviations. ive Always worked on motorbikes, bar service stuff on my wife's cars so there will be loads of gaps in my knowledge but that's half the fun

A FAP in HDI (PSA) terms is A DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) Which (On any Diesel fitted with) Can and invariably Do become troublesome and can Like most things car generate expensive repair bills............
On PSA diesel (Not 100% sure if still the case) There was a little Tank usually situated under a plastic shroud just in front of the N/R/W (passengers rear wheel) and contained a somewhat carcinogenic Fluid ..... (Eolys Fluid)

It was explained to me by the Mechanic I eventually got my 306 from (I'd Emissions problems With my then 307 HDI) That the filler cap on said vehicles are "somehow have" a Magnetic field   and every time you remove filler cap the ECU identifies this as refueling (As a full tank irrespective if you only added £10 or £20 ... Whatever) and adds a doze of Eolys Fluid to assist in the cleaning (Regeneration) of the FAP ............
Because of this it can emty a tank in NO time but generally 60,000/90,000mls (Right in the band where you are and as I was).............
You should get a warning on Dash (I did Via The Seperate  Radio Display)......... "Don't ignore ..........Failing performance, Poor fuel returns and very possible engine damage" As it chokes.......

Apparently there's Two types of Fluid depending on chassis number?  and now alternatives to getting Eloys from PSA Dealer and DIY or having them to refill for you at great expense.......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyEpmE5MfWs

On a Lighter Note now that we've got you all depressed...........

"What motorcycle you got?"............

Still got our two little ones (My 650 and the MEMSAAB's 125).........
Had My bike test in 1977.... (Shame on me I had my car license First)

P.S... Relay(Jumper), Boxer and Ducato's are a joint PSA / FIAT thing (SEVEL SUD) and if fitted with the 2.2 I think its PSA and the FIAT "only" gets the option of a 2.3 which I believe is also in the FIAT Daily..........
THE DAILY .... IIRC is the "bigger"  heavier van than the Ducato......... and has the option of IMHO ... The decent 2.8 IVECO (Sofim) ...........
(Decent ...Same as XUD's were)

#9 2019-11-20 19:52:27

Chri5

Thanks for the info

I have 3 motorbikes
My 85' BMW K100RS my daily ride it's work in progress but slowly as it's my daily
1574001580394_compress21.jpg

My Kawasaki Z700rr that is getting the electric power train from an older electric bike that I converted based on a Yamaha FZ6n a few years ago
Vid of the early FZ6 testing
https://youtu.be/3JWphQAk9_0

And a Suzuki rf600 street fighter conversion in the early stages

I also did car first I honestly think it's the correct way round learn roads and behaviour with a roll cage

#10 2019-11-21 03:03:45

vaz2121

Never been on a K100 ..........
Although I think there somewhat under rated ................
IMHO (Pobably sold more than I give credit) They didn't take off when you were getting what appeared to be a bigger bang for your buck with a Jap 4 and the old Boxer (R800GS) winning Daker about 86...........
Majority (K100's) I've come across over the last 10...15 yrs "Ratted" I guess because for what they are ............. Were Cheap {shaft drive} and took a lot of abuse Per say (A bit like the Plastic Maggot)...........

Got a couple (So called) friends who were desperate to be (BMW) Motorcycle  owners and both of them surprised me by getting a K1 and at the condition and miles .... One of them traded  theirs against a 1200 GS and got (compaired to what he paid) a good deal but the GS got traded about 18 months ago for a R1200R after what I would say was definitely not  trouble Free ownship and was fundamentally a Low milage GS (Bought at 15,000 sold just shy of 40,000 on a 2005)............

K1 only now seems to be getting a real following/notest............

Although on more than one occasion I (Must admit) was tempted to  knock in my wee Bandit for an (over priced) R850GS or R1150GS black  ( Was more than a little tempted about 8 yrs ago on a FZ1 but I was Skint) So still got Bandit.......... To be honest the GS  felt like a tractor to me and  No dive when braking  with  the telelever was weird......

I did have a brief and I do mean brief (Once round the block) on an Ex-Police K75 that a long time friend (No longer with us) had just Purchased many moons ago ......
I was for such a short go quite impressed and thought at time I'd like to try it out some more (Don't know if that was because of hear say I'd previously heard) IIRC  it had about 70,000ish on it...........

I got my Bandit  just about 11 yrs ago after a few months on a ER5........... this was meant to ease me back onto the  road after nearly 25 ..30 yrs of mostly playing with off-road (Honda ATC 200, Aprilia Climber, Big Red  etc) stuff and with only the very breifest/infrequent  jonts on highway...........

I really wanted a 750 as I felt and still do think it's a flexable size.........

Now saying that I had (Inbetween) a brief  affair with a GSX 1400 .........
But was far to much like a Gt 750 kettle I had as a boy.........

Both essentially good and enjoyable bikes ..........
But Since joining and being alleged Born again biker I've tended to do a fair bit of touring and Fantastic as a GSX 1400 is at that ....... Fuel consumption was utter Sh*** (average of 38) ...........

Bandit-lesmahagow.jpg

I've been told get a 1250 Bandit as 650 I find is Buzzy.......(BTW it's of the penultimate year of the Oil Boilers..{K5}.... Not water cooled) .............
Shortly after purchase I wanted bigger ............ Now almost 11 yrs later.........  I'm very attached to it...........

My Partner wanted her own bike Hence the 125 but Shortly after getting it and within 18 months we bought the Van as she had Fallen victim to Non Hodgkins Lymphoma and was unable really to ride a bike for any distance/time ........

So although I'd continued to have the boys Tour week this last couple years it's all taken a bit of a back seat ..... Van included for a number of reasons.............

Last edited by vaz2121 (2019-11-21 03:10:03)

#11 2019-12-15 11:54:16

sross12

Hi Guys, been on to this site a few times for tips on my Scudo but afraid to say time has come to sell it as I can't invest any time or money in it after switching homes and job. Have listed it on ebay but keen for it to go to someone who has a love for the van and may potentially do it up as a camper or get it fully going again.

It is currently down as a non-runner as I believe the head gasket has gone but I just need it gone from my driveway as neighbours are getting increasingly frustrated after six weeks of it being sat there.

Posted a link if of interest to anyone.

LINK> http://ebay.us/w14Yd2?cmpnId=5338273189

Feel free to message me privately if keen for a quick buy etc.

#12 2019-12-15 22:32:09

OAT

Is that a TD badge on the wing?

If so, and you were closer, and I had storage, I would grab your hand off. 

A bargain there for someone I think.  You could probably get a couple of hundred for the glass!

Good luck with it.

#13 2020-02-09 20:40:57

Dave_Q

Chri5, would be interested to hear how you get on with the pop top if you get that far with it.

I have looked at a pop top for mine (also a LWB Scudo) but object to paying £2000+ for basically a fibreglass tray!

RE the DPF, it's likely you don't have one, my van is also a JTD 120 on a 10 plate and is euro 4 / no DPF.

Board footer