The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-26 21:03:38

Wizzer

Play in gear select mechanism.

Hello. I have spent some time on here and the information available is brilliant! I recently purchased a 56 plate Expert 2.0HDI with 137,000 on the clock. Initially it was for transporting my bike but I now use it as a daily driver! Anyhow, like all, it has its problems. My gear selector mechanism located just to the left of the air filter box has what I see as an excessive amount of play and is quite loose. I have a large rattle from the nearside area when turning, on a bumpy road or if the RPM drops below a certain point (Indicating I need to change down). After rattling the mechanism by hand today and realizing the amount of play in it, I am pretty sure this is my culprit. My question is, can this be shimmed to take up excessive play or is it an easy swap out (seen a few second hand on ebay). Just to clarify, the selector is the gearbox end where the cables clip onto (Cables and buses all seem fine) but its the actual selector that seems to be my issue. No problems shifting, just a slightly floppy stick! Thanks.

https://imgur.com/LC66rPN

https://imgur.com/DWASqyP

Apologies. I cannot suss how to post an image!

Last edited by Wizzer (2019-11-26 21:08:16)

#2 2019-11-27 03:46:43

vaz2121

Re: Play in gear select mechanism.

I'm not 100% sure your G/box is exactly the same as mine (as my engine is a DW8) However .............

The slightly floppy stick will be most likely down to the plastic ends (if like mine) on your gearchange cables having a little movement... which is magnified into the gear lever

As for the Rattle, I assume we're talking about the weighted looking arm atop gearbox............ (IIRC that's a bolt on to box item)
Silly question {if correct and bolted to G/box} it's not needing tighted down?

I'm Sorry I've No idea if it can be shimmed or adjusted in any way ( I suspect not).......
If correct it's a sort of damper (Heavyish like a flywheel  but in this case) either to assit in smoothing out gear changes or the harmonics..........

I have No idea how much free play this is meant to have but as I experiance a little clutch judder on occasion .....
I don't experience any rattle.....

To change out...
I wouldn't say a hard job (Fiddly) but your going to need to make acces/working space

Last edited by vaz2121 (2019-11-27 03:53:58)

#3 2019-11-27 15:42:24

Wizzer

Hi Vas.

Thanks for the reply. Yes you are correct. It's the weighted arm thing. Its not the actual bracket that mounts to the gearbox that is vibrating / rattling but the arm itself upon its pivot. So its secure to the gearbox, just the moving parts have play. It does seem to be a damper of some sort or a weight as you said to allow easier or smoother changing. I might have a look when this rain passes (If it ever does) and look at removing the air box and maybe the coolant pipe but I would ideally like to leave that in place.

Thanks again.

#4 2019-11-28 01:25:27

vaz2121

I think you'll find you need to clear the way as though it was a clutch change/G/box removal...........
I don't think you'd need to remove coolant pipes radiator........
But air box associated pipework, maybe even battery and tray............
Never done what your talking but assisted in clutch changes.........
So clear the decks problably of all bar dropping subframe to give yourself room...............
Hadest part probably will be change cables and pop on balljoint rod things............
Remember what cable connects to what as one controls change {1 to 2 etc back N forward} the other for the gate {across box}.......

Board footer