The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-06-25 23:51:53

Zippypilot

Tools - Halfords Advanced

Hi all once again

My good old 02 plate 2.0 HDi has given me more to spend out on (see https://dispatchexpertscudo.org.uk/foru … hp?id=1312 'Van self destruct mode).

This time it's the front left shock leaking (with added 'knocking from probably the ball joints somewhere) and the right front on its way by the look at it. Ok this van was so damn cheap and really worth keeping on the road. to have the work done to it. it's obvious the previous owner did nothing in maintenance so just picking up on the results I guess, wear and tear as normal for any vehicle.

Right! Here is the main reason for the post. The quote from several garages just in labour was all around the £250 to £300 mark (to fit the pair). The parts weren't cheap either, so I thought about just doing it myself. This will mean I will need some good tools to do the job.

The offset of paying a garage to do it or having a good set of tools instead to do it myself makes perfect sense to my small mind. Looking at Halfords Advanced tool sets/modular trays, it seems I can buy a really good set of sockets, spanners etc for the labour cost. But.....

Are Halfords Advanced tools any good (they do have a lifetime warrantee so that's one thing, and I am sure the little bastard will show me more maintenance needs in it future!)

#2 2021-06-26 01:53:01

vaz2121

Re: Tools - Halfords Advanced

Halfords Advanced are probably one of their better offerings.........
A lot of my tools are mostly saved out of a trucks own tool kit or smaller stuff from a lada tool kit etc or if branded [Britool,king dick] picked up tools second hand from the likes of exchange & mart [in the day] or similar and/or down the market....
As I tended to be hardish on stuff [certainly at one time I've given my tools a good bit of tater at times] Not all have been a success and stood the pace..........

I've never bought a Snap On or the more expensive or branded stuff [facom etc] and when it's broken I've tended to keep it and/or have modified it in some way........
which you'd tend to shy away from that                                 on dearer tools..........Neilsen is a brand I have bought and have had pushed my way by a traveling tools seller ...............

1/2 inch drive Socket sets Not the 3/4 drive set~ I've tended to go for "Kamasa" I think it is and always bought on some kind of deal package or offer, but on every one [2 or 3 sets over 40 yrs] Ive replaced the Ratchets once or twice ..........

A mechanic friend gets by with mostly half decent priced but half decent quality stuff {He's bought Neilsen Stuff to}........
but He has bought "Halfords Advanced" tool sets but only when it was on offer and discounted somewhat ........
And yes he/we have had on one one or two occasions had to return a split socket or the likes after useing it with a breaker bar{High torque air rattle gun{ because we didn't or couldn't find the equivelent impact one.......
I don't realy remember it being much of an issue getting a replacement as long as they had that size in stock and it was a Halfords Advanced product.........

#3 2021-06-26 15:50:25

Zippypilot

Hi Vaz,
Yeah, I looked at my tools in the shed the other day, and most are a real mess of who knows what makes and sizes of socket, spanners and all types of crappy quality stuff I bought 30 years ago!

I think just buying new stuff at Halfords and their Advanced range may be a better idea than trying to figure out what tools are of any use in my old toolbox. let alone try them out and round off every nut!

#4 2021-06-27 14:17:29

kenbw2
Administrator

I've had my Halfords Advanced tools for over a decade. My best endorsement is that I have very little to say about them because they've always just undone every bolt, even with loads of pressure. I've seen my brother bend loads of his non-Halfords tools, never worried about that with mine.

I have had a few rounded bolts, but I'm inclined to attribute that to the endless supply of rust on this van than the tools.

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#5 2021-06-27 20:09:16

Zippypilot

Hi kenbw2, well that funnily enough is all the review I needed. Just bought a couple of spanner sets and a set of half inch sockets and ratchet. Unboxing them it is clear that they are well made, far better than my old crap in the shed!

Thankfully my van is pretty much rust free, but then I will find out what the bolts are like to remove without rounding off.

The next buy is a good spring compressor, any thoughts?

#6 2021-07-03 12:04:33

Ricko

My tools are a mixture, built up over the last 36 years; Draper seems to have lasted well, the old Kamasa stuff is better than the new, I've got a AF socket set from Halfords that must date from 1988, other stuff is stuff picked up over the years Britool, King Dick, Acesa, Elora, Gordon, Bedford etc
I've got some Halfords Advanced spanners which are fine.
I suppose any tools last well as long as you dont abuse them.
My son has some mirror polished Silverline spanners which seem to be lasting well.

2004 Citroen Dispatch 2.0 Hdi

#7 2021-07-03 23:30:36

Pieceofstring

Bought the aldi or lidi socket set a few years a go for the house. (industrial spark for a living) I've don't almost everything I can on the van/cars and it's pretty good quality. But if you've going to use it often you can't beat the warranty or guarantee of Halfords stuff for peace of mind.

#8 2021-07-06 14:58:09

Zippypilot

That's interesting Pieceofstring. I have a few Parkside tools and they have been really good quality, recent purchase there was a self ranging multimeter which is a great bit of kit diagnosing the awful electrics on my van!

I hopefully won't have to use the tools too often on the van but makes sense to buy something like the Halfords tools with the warranty, besides the van I am an ex aircraft engineer and like to 'tinker' with machines etc in my spare time, so they will be used for more than once smile

Last edited by Zippypilot (2021-07-06 15:00:08)

#9 2021-07-06 18:30:16

ruston

Zippypilot wrote:

Hi kenbw2, well that funnily enough is all the review I needed. Just bought a couple of spanner sets and a set of half inch sockets and ratchet. Unboxing them it is clear that they are well made, far better than my old crap in the shed!

Thankfully my van is pretty much rust free, but then I will find out what the bolts are like to remove without rounding off.

The next buy is a good spring compressor, any thoughts?

My local garage changed a front spring on my van and it was so strong that it actually bent their spring compressor so make sure that you get a REALLY good one!

Pete.

#10 2021-07-10 15:53:20

Zippypilot

Thanks Ruston, think I will have a word with my mechanic mate about that!

#11 2021-07-20 23:31:29

Pathfinder100

Halfords Advanced (which I believe is either made by Snap-On or Sealey) or Clarke/MachineMart stuff is mostly what i use. 

Probably the most useful tool I have is a 240V Impact Wrench and set of Impact Sockets.  Absolutely any bolt or nut you can find on a car or van it will take off with minimum effort.  Absolutely brilliant doing wheel nuts and hub nuts.  I also have decent ratchets and breaker bars.

A good set of metric sockets, a set of hex bits, a set of torx bits, a good ratchet and a set of spanners will allow you to tackle most jobs.  For more advanced stuff (engine related) a decent torque wrench will be useful too.

Peugeot Expert 2006 2.0 Hdi 110 RHZ / DW10BTED+ 5 Speed Manual

#12 2021-07-20 23:43:27

Casper

I bought two (Due to being dicked about) Battery rattle guns

This

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223951069389 … 2749.l2649

And a Makita copy what is alleged 540Nm. As long as they do my Convoy wheel nuts then i am happy. They are meant to be 190Nm but the N/S is a reverse thread what seems to tighten itself. Anyway cheap cap from China is doing a job. So far the Makita has took off all nuts asked apart from the ones my mate put on with his genuine Milwaukee rattle gun.

#13 2021-08-24 01:52:16

Stu-D
Website

I've had Halfords 'Professional' stuff for near on 20 years, its very reliable and they swap it out under lifetime warranty if you have any issues, like using a 5 foot scaffolding pole on a 1/2" ratchet and 2 fat bastards hanging off the edge... lol, in my oponion the older stuff was very well made, but the "Advance" stuff you will get as a replacement is not as "skookum" in my opinion (to quote AvE on youtube lol), but... it breaks you take it back and get a new one, thank you Halfrauds. smile

#14 2021-08-24 02:18:07

BlantyreBotanicals
Website

I swear by the socket sets you get in lidl. Add on a decent set from amazon (get chrome vandium) of the higher numbered torx (25+) that aren't in the lidl sockets, and you're sorted for all eventuality.

You can get 1/4" to 3/8" to 1/2" adapter for peanuts on amazon also, so you're covered with drive shapes too.

The 39 quid set has done me proud. There's also a 69 quid set that comes with spanners and more torx heads. Aldi have a similar offering right now.

Peugeot Expert 1.9D, 2005 (55)
Peugeot 207 1.4 Sport, 2010 (59)
We're on the Web! : Blantyre Botanicals [The Bot Factory Ltd] : View our Facebook page

#15 2021-08-24 02:20:14

BlantyreBotanicals
Website

Oh and get a decent breaker bar. You will thank me the next time you're trying to undo a wheel nut tightened up by he-man. The extra length makes light work of it.

We're on the Web! : Blantyre Botanicals [The Bot Factory Ltd] : View our Facebook page

#16 2021-08-24 02:44:33

Stu-D
Website

BlantyreBotanicals wrote:

Oh and get a decent breaker bar. You will thank me the next time you're trying to undo a wheel nut tightened up by he-man. The extra length makes light work of it.

Aye since those days I've had a £15 sealer 1 meter 1/2" breaker for god, years, Sthil tools in Livingston, they are worth a ook for cheap strong stuff smile - The Lidl/Aldi stuff is OK too... what I miss is the powerfix selection boxes of nuts and bols, where did they go? They were sooo handy for so many things lol.

#17 2021-08-25 02:49:36

BlantyreBotanicals
Website

Stu-D wrote:

Aye since those days I've had a £15 sealer 1 meter 1/2" breaker for god, years, Sthil tools in Livingston, they are worth a ook for cheap strong stuff smile - The Lidl/Aldi stuff is OK too... what I miss is the powerfix selection boxes of nuts and bols, where did they go? They were sooo handy for so many things lol.

Lidl (and Aldi) have an assorted mix of those things in right now.

One tool I forgot to add, and you can get them from amazon for around 6-7, is a universal socket for removing rounded (or lost-key-locking) wheel nuts! They are a standard socket taking up to 19" or 21" bolts, filled with several moving pins that push in and around the nut, following it's contour for a nice tight fit.

Very useful if you stored your locking wheel nut key in your socket set case for safe keeping, then when your mate borrowed it, it came back without said key.

#18 2021-08-26 02:01:13

JohnDragonMan
Website

... the whole work i did on my van was done with a cheap tool kit and socket set from Lidl and Aldi i highly rate the "Workzone" brand.
that said. i also have a Halfords Advanced 300 pcs socket set. again highly rate them. i have never killed a ratchet, and ive had a forklift press a 2 ton weight down on one once. its my go too tool kit in the scrap yard.

- JohnDragonMan
Notice: I have the tendency to void warranties, blow fuses, cause fires, and other fun stuff.
Words of wisdom: Internally rust proof the sills and subframe! both skins!!. There's always user serviceable parts inside. "Oh that shouldn't have happened".
My 2005 Dispatch Camper Project big_smile

#19 2021-08-27 22:53:58

Stu-D
Website

JohnDragonMan wrote:

... the whole work i did on my van was done with a cheap tool kit and socket set from Lidl and Aldi i highly rate the "Workzone" brand.

that said. i also have a Halfords Advanced 300 pcs socket set. again highly rate them. i have never killed a ratchet, and ive had a forklift press a 2 ton weight down on one once. its my go too tool kit in the scrap yard.

Yep I've had 2 of the halfords 300 piece ish sets over 20 years, got most of them and all the racthets still work lol, some of the abuse the sockets take for well rusted on stuff is amazing, they really are well made tools and rival proper and/or inflated price brands like snap-on, although I will say their now replacement under lifetime warranty ratchets are a bit pish compared to older, but easier to service.

#20 2021-08-27 22:55:50

Stu-D
Website

Stu-D wrote:

Lidl (and Aldi) have an assorted mix of those things in right now.

One tool I forgot to add, and you can get them from amazon for around 6-7, is a universal socket for removing rounded (or lost-key-locking) wheel nuts! They are a standard socket taking up to 19" or 21" bolts, filled with several moving pins that push in and around the nut, following it's contour for a nice tight fit.

Very useful if you stored your locking wheel nut key in your socket set case for safe keeping, then when your mate borrowed it, it came back without said key.

I usually just weld on a 8.8T 17mm or similar nut through the center then spin that shit off with a breaker or rattle gun tongue

Last edited by Stu-D (2021-08-27 22:56:26)

#21 2021-08-29 00:20:07

Zippypilot

Wow! To every one who has posted in this topic, great response and all taken in. I have used my new Halfords Advanced tools doing the front struts and yep, strong as F! Fit well and not stripped a bolt head (will still be buying the impact socket set as did feel they were just on the limit on some rusted bolts)

I too love llidl's tools, got a few bits and pieces there and quality is not to shabby!

Have to admit a proper breaker bar would have been handy instead of a length of tubing on the 1/2" ratchet....Hmmmm yep not good practice

#22 2021-08-29 00:58:42

Pathfinder100

I bought a breaker bar for hub nut removal when doing the back brakes on an old fiesta.  Nowadays I would use the rattle gun for the same job.  It's just easier and quicker. wink

Peugeot Expert 2006 2.0 Hdi 110 RHZ / DW10BTED+ 5 Speed Manual

#23 2021-08-29 23:50:49

Zippypilot

I do have a rattle gun funnily enough but no compressor, so make do was the nature of the day smile

#24 2021-09-06 01:31:31

Stu-D
Website

Zippypilot wrote:

Wow! To every one who has posted in this topic, great response and all taken in. I have used my new Halfords Advanced tools doing the front struts and yep, strong as F! Fit well and not stripped a bolt head (will still be buying the impact socket set as did feel they were just on the limit on some rusted bolts)

I too love llidl's tools, got a few bits and pieces there and quality is not to shabby!

Have to admit a proper breaker bar would have been handy instead of a length of tubing on the 1/2" ratchet....Hmmmm yep not good practice

Haha, I stil use my 3 ton jack handle on my 1/2" halfords pro ratchet, swinging off hub nuts etc... still working fine lol.

Board footer