The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-08 20:36:25

Hywelius

Could this be Kaput? Gearbox / Clutch Issues

Hey,

We made the 9 hour drive to the Scottish highlands last week, albeit with some stiff gears. Peugeot Expert 1.9D 2005 (99.9% finished camper conversion).

When I came to drive it again, I got about a mile before it wouldn't go into any gears or would get stuck in gear (even with the clutch pedal depressed all the way). I ended up forcing it a little too hard and broke the bloody gear selector cable, to add to the pre existing issues when it was stuck in reverse at the side of the road.

We ended up having it recovered to a garage near home. I didn't travel with the van, instead the AA provided us with an automatic Toyota Yaris to make the trip back a breeze. (cruise control, air con - the lot, luxury!).

The clutch definitely still has a little bite in it, and I had been advised it could be the clutch slave cylinder at first, but that's been ruled out.

I spoke to the garage today and they've diagnosed it as best they can and given me the bad news...

Essentially it needs the following doing at the least:

Clutch release bearing,

Clutch guide tube,

Clutch fork knackered,

(Probably a whole clutch kit)

Gear selector cable snapped (£300 from dealer)

+ Labour

They've quoted Approx £1080 for the initial work above - and that's only if nothing is wrong with the gearbox which could have been the issue in the first place, which from what they were saying it could be between £1000 - £2000 for a recon gearbox alone.

Naturally this is sad news as I've put alot of work into converting the van and was hoping to get a little more life out of it than this. As ever - it's been an ongoing project and never felt fully finished, if that's even attainable haha. Other than this, it runs well and usually gets through MOTs relatively problem free. (As it stands now though, it's a non runner roll )

It's a lot more than I'm in a position to pay to save it, so unfortunately it might mean the end to the camper.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for trying to save it or do it more cheaply, or if anyone can point me in the right direction for parts or anyone who might be available to take it on please?

If anyone has any idea of a rough 'valuation' of it as a non runner (complete camper) and/or what I could get for it if it was fixed - as we may be looking to get rid of it soon anyway due to leaving the country. From what I hear campers are in high demand at the moment, maybe not so much towards the end of summer.

At this stage I think my options are:

1. Strip the (Rhino) roof rack, 400w inverter, 2 ring cooker/hob, gas bottle, 1 month old leisure battery etc. to sell separately and scrap the van. cry

2. Sell the complete van as a bit of a camper 'project' for someone who might have the means to get it back on the road with the above left in it.

3. May be able to find a cheaper quote or speak to some people who may be interested in doing it / find some parts and maybe even give it a go myself (unlikely), but this would mean a lot of cost still to then potentially find out the gearbox is still knackered.

MOT valid until November.

Any advice or help will be greatly appreciated, I'd love to be able to save it, but it's looking like I might not be able to.

We were looking to get rid of it within the next 3-4 months or so anyway, as we'll be moving abroad with work, but not like this!!

200.jpeg

Thanks in advance.

Edit: If I do end up scrapping / breaking it - I'll post it here if anyone needs any parts from it, of course!

van-seat.jpeg

vanloader.jpeg
https://dispatchexpertscudo.org.uk/forum/img/members/492/11111_20170801-0829.jpg
IMG_20171125_163757.jpeg

Last edited by Hywelius (2021-09-08 20:41:43)

#2 2021-09-08 20:43:06

Hywelius

Re: Could this be Kaput? Gearbox / Clutch Issues

For anyone interested - the original build thread is HERE

#3 2021-09-08 23:03:43

JohnDragonMan
Website

man i feel for you. i bought my van with an "ECU" problem which turned out to be the mass air flow sensor sending the wrong readings to the ECU causing it to be very under powered. unplugging it gave me full power but it disguised the fact the clutch was slipping.. something i did not expect.
i will admit that a clutch change on these are a bit of a nightmare... hence the cost.
i did it myself but had to get a few clutch kits till i got the right one! i did all the work myself but it did end up costing a bit as i replaced the flywheel too.

sounds like youre between a rock and a hard place with having to sell it anyway hmm
i would say its worth the repair. however if you do decide to sell parts off i would be intersted in your worktop/cupbards. i just hope you are local to me.

it is a tough call..

- JohnDragonMan
Notice: I have the tendency to void warranties, blow fuses, cause fires, and other fun stuff.
Words of wisdom: Internally rust proof the sills and subframe! both skins!!. There's always user serviceable parts inside. "Oh that shouldn't have happened".
My 2005 Dispatch Camper Project big_smile

#4 2021-09-09 01:49:24

OAT

So sorry to hear this after so much work.  It's my own nightmare.

Be great for anyone with a rot one,  Or perhaps you can find a rotten one with a good motor?

#5 2021-09-10 15:20:30

Hywelius

JohnDragonMan wrote:

man i feel for you. i bought my van with an "ECU" problem which turned out to be the mass air flow sensor sending the wrong readings to the ECU causing it to be very under powered. unplugging it gave me full power but it disguised the fact the clutch was slipping.. something i did not expect.
i will admit that a clutch change on these are a bit of a nightmare... hence the cost.
i did it myself but had to get a few clutch kits till i got the right one! i did all the work myself but it did end up costing a bit as i replaced the flywheel too.

sounds like youre between a rock and a hard place with having to sell it anyway hmm
i would say its worth the repair. however if you do decide to sell parts off i would be intersted in your worktop/cupbards. i just hope you are local to me.

it is a tough call..

Yeah realistically it's not something I could do on my own. I'm waiting for a second quote of a mate who might be able to do it a little cheaper for me with some ebay and non 'motor factor' / dealer parts that the garage are most likely quoting on. But he's going to need to make it worthwhile for him too of course. It would hold so much more value to sell on as a working van of course. Potentially even make a few bob on top. But it's a risk - if the gearbox isn't knackered, that could be a good option but still risky that I'd get enough money for it when I come to sell it on. He said it's pretty unlikely the gearbox would need to be replaced, but it's a grey area until the clutch is done. (He hasn't inspected it himself yet, just over the phone).

I'm getting it towed away from the garage tomorrow to probably strip some bits off it or at least until I decide what to do.

I'm in Leeds, Van will be in Wakefield on a driveway probably, but not sure how easily the unit would come out - definitely not in 1 piece, I built it piece by piece into the bodywork pretty much ha. Could probably get the worktop out. I'll let you know if I do go down that route!

OAT wrote:

Be great for anyone with a rot one,  Or perhaps you can find a rotten one with a good motor?

This may be the way to go if my mate does it for me.

Can anyone offer any insight on how much a van of this condition would fetch, rough estimate of how much I could advertise it for as a non runner and/or if I were to pay for the repairs and sell it as a running full camper and not remove anything from it?

Or how much it might yield for scrap value?

Could help the decision...

Thanks for the replies!

#6 2021-12-09 11:29:02

Hywelius

Update on this thread!...

I had a better quote, luckily a mate who works for the AA does jobs on the side and quoted half the price the garage did - so the van is back on the road!

Just a bit of a knackered gearbox - the slip rings on 2nd and 4th crunch a bit, so at the moment I'm driving it with odd numbered gears only to avoid any further damage. 1st, 3rd & 5th seem to work fine for now and get us from A to B.

Another bonus, sailed through the MOT with my single seat addition and no advisories - So I have a full year MOT and I can sell the double bench seat.

If anyone has any interest in a double bench passenger seat with seatbelt and headrests, let me know! Open to offers. I'm in Wakefield, West Yorkshire

bench-seat.jpeg

Last edited by Hywelius (2021-12-09 11:30:39)

Board footer