The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-25 15:12:00

luthier

HDi vans

I have always been put off buying an HDi van because of what other people,forums etc, say about there reliability issues, Is this the case and should I stick to my 1.9 diesels ?  the thought of an extra 40bhp does sound appealing lol  big_smile

#2 2017-08-25 16:55:56

OAT

Re: HDi vans

I have no experience of them myself but as you say, the amount of problems people have with the electronics and engine management does put me off.  But to be fair, I feel the same about any other make of modern vehicle.

I see they can be remapped to 150bhp and would certainly make for a good drive.  My own TD has more than enough power for me though.  Age and fuel prices have reduced me to squeezing the most out of every gallon these days.

#3 2017-08-25 22:42:30

luthier

I suppose if they are well maintained  and regularly serviced they can be good vans, Some HDI taxis Ive seen for sale are showing 300,000 plus miles, sounds good to me lol. I think if I find a good well maintained example I will go for it  smile

#4 2017-08-26 08:15:01

Casper

Pick a van. Sprinter, Transit, Boxer whatever and look into it as a potential buyer. You will find horror stories about them all. Pick a van to your needs then looking into parts and servicing costs, happy? then go fine a good un thats been looked after and stop worrying as no mater what you buy you will always have haters. Look at the honest john site. Im amazed any van sells after reading the shite they put on there.

#5 2017-08-26 16:39:10

luthier

Casper wrote:

Pick a van. Sprinter, Transit, Boxer whatever and look into it as a potential buyer. You will find horror stories about them all. Pick a van to your needs then looking into parts and servicing costs, happy? then go fine a good un thats been looked after and stop worrying as no mater what you buy you will always have haters. Look at the honest john site. Im amazed any van sells after reading the shite they put on there.

Lol that's why I like the 1.9 diesel , it usually  has great reviews  cool  I like all the old school vans like the LDV, Transits up to the banana engine ones, pug,citroen,fiat,  all good and easy/cheap to fix. All the more modern vans that fall into my price bracket are all shagged sad    Mibbee a better paying job is the solution lol  lol

#6 2017-08-26 17:04:09

vaz2121

luthier wrote:

I have always been put off buying an HDi van because of what other people,forums etc, say about there reliability issues, Is this the case and should I stick to my 1.9 diesels ?  the thought of an extra 40bhp does sound appealing lol  big_smile

All I can add is that I agree in principal with you and Casper I have had 2 Hdi's and had trouble with both (neither a van).... To be fair they did not suffer the same symptoms exactly..... As HDI's get older they can have electrical issues as you pointed out but this can be true of many (modern diesels) common rail engines
Other symptoms were injector failure where not enough pressure is achieved to allow starting if at all, variable vane turbo .. rusting up and seizing or the actuators just not working, DPF and Dual mass flywheel.....

I have also had a GM diesel with IIRC a Bosch VP44 pump that was a constant headache yet the other car derived van in the fleet managed well over 180,000mls before overheating brought about its demise.......... A friend with PD VW diesel who had major issues......Mercedes Benz CDI's  with the black death they call it.......  but other common rail diesel can suffer this as well apparently............. Could go on for hours probably but is it ignoring a symptom until disaster or poorly constructed answers/cost savings to emissions

A good well maintained HDI will be far better than a abused/poorly maintained DW8

You pay yer money take your choice..... but my personal choice is the KISS (keep it simple stupid) principal

But as time goes by...simple diesel tech if not already will be gone (IMHO modern diesels are not as robust or as forgiving as they once were)

Bad news travels faster than good.............

Last edited by vaz2121 (2017-08-26 17:33:44)

#7 2017-08-26 21:31:06

Ricko

I bought my HDi at 177K miles, I've had it 14 months. It had the cam belt done when I got it, I was given the garage receipt.
I've serviced it twice, put a battery on it and replaced the exhaust centre section. I had to do a couple of patches underneath for the MOT.
Quite happy to plan on replacing the pads and shoes when they need it.
I need to spray underneath with Waxoyl.
It's been one of the best vehicles I've had.
Economical and reliable.

2004 Citroen Dispatch 2.0 Hdi

#8 2017-08-27 12:19:45

luthier

Cheers guys  smile   I think I will take my chances and look out for one for my next van, something with a good history and well maintained. What sort of mpg do the HDi's get ?

#9 2017-08-28 09:54:46

Ricko

Luthier, I had a visit up to Scotland a couple of weeks ago and got 45mpg out of it.

2004 Citroen Dispatch 2.0 Hdi

#10 2017-08-28 16:11:56

Tiree
Administrator

Ricko wrote:

Luthier, I had a visit up to Scotland a couple of weeks ago and got 45mpg out of it.

I live in Scotland and can confirm that we get 45mpg here devil

My HDi van's at ~160k and I've replaced a fair amount of stuff on it since I got it at ~125k.

But only the turbo itself was HDi-specific - everything else was generic stuff: brakes, suspension, steering, alternator, timing belt.

Recon turbo was under £500 fitted - I've spent way more on suspension / steering over the course.

There are a lot of these vans still around, many with high mileage, so reliability not necessarily always an issue.

I totally see the appeal of the 1.9d simplicity and if I had to quickly and cheaply replace my HDi I'd be tempted by one on decent mileage.

But the HDi has a surprisingly pleasing punch to it and with care, they can last.

2006 Citroen Dispatch 2.0HDi bought in July 2013 - Partial camper conversion ........

DSC_0360-1.jpg

#11 2017-08-28 22:21:29

luthier

Wow 45mpg  yikes   Im lucky to get 35mpg out of my 1.9d , mind I tend to boot it a bit just to get up to speed lol...  I think Im more persuaded than ever to go for a decent HDi     big_smile

#12 2017-08-28 23:54:35

Casper

luthier wrote:

Wow 45mpg  yikes   Im lucky to get 35mpg out of my 1.9d , mind I tend to boot it a bit just to get up to speed lol...  I think Im more persuaded than ever to go for a decent HDi     big_smile

I was about the same. Think i did 33 when i went to Germany but that was 70-75 on the motorway and lots of gearbox up and down the hills on the Black Forest but stick at 60-65 you are closer to 40 mpg. Buy lighter boots.

#13 2017-08-29 18:13:46

luthier

Casper wrote:
luthier wrote:

I was about the same. Think i did 33 when i went to Germany but that was 70-75 on the motorway and lots of gearbox up and down the hills on the Black Forest but stick at 60-65 you are closer to 40 mpg. Buy lighter boots.

Lol Im fond of my lead wellies  big_smile  but if I could save a few mpg I would wear flip flops, or maybe no hahaha

#14 2017-08-29 18:55:31

Casper

Flip Flops yikes Thought you all had webbed feet down that way. Fallout from Torness.

#15 2017-08-29 20:20:09

luthier

Casper wrote:

Flip Flops yikes Thought you all had webbed feet down that way. Fallout from Torness.

Lol nah Torness is no excuse, we all had webbed feet long before it was built  big_smile

#16 2017-09-24 21:08:05

wookey
Website

The HDi is significantly more efficient. I've seen 30% suggested but that may be optimistic. I stuck to the 1.9D/TD because I know how it works and I wanted biodiesel/vegoil compatibility (The HDIs don't like the extra viscosity). My 1.9TD does about 38mpg these days. It was 40 when it was newish. I'd expect 45-50 from the HDi. But now you've got a computer and more expesnive bits than just the injection pump.

If I was buying now I'd get the HDi (well, except that actually I'll go electric next time if at all possible..we have to move on)

1997 Expert self-built camper

Board footer