The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-17 18:45:10

luthier

Crunch in 4th gear

I have on my 2003 1.9d  expert a slight crunch as i change up to 4th gear, I bought the van knowing it had this fault thinking I would soon have to replace the gearbox sad  the thing is its not gotten any worse in nearly 15k miles smile ...Is this a common fault ? or could it be a clutch problem or similar? I have noticed it can be quite jumpy "no pun intended" when reversing too hmm could it be a cheap clutch fitted or am I being too hopeful lol...

#2 2017-10-31 21:51:53

Watergypsy

Re: Crunch in 4th gear

Hi, I have recently had the clutch replaced as it was completely shot, I payed a bit extra for it to be replaced decent quality one, It still is jumpy in reverse but I don't think it's clutch judder! It also is still knotchy into 4th, occasionally I have to double clutch it. So could be a common problem or pure coincidence.
I have done approximately 20k with these small issues, hopefully quit a few more miles left yet after paying £300 for a clutch  neutral

Be kind to strangers, you may become one some day

#3 2017-10-31 22:56:00

luthier

Cheers for your reply mate smile looks like Im going to live with it lol, I was thinking of selling soon to start another van and thought this would put folk off sad  Ive spent quite a bit making it into a camper too ... Lol its never easy hahaha   big_smile

#4 2017-11-01 00:25:28

Casper

My 19d it was third. Double clutch but not every time.

#5 2017-11-01 10:12:58

vaz2121

luthier wrote:

Cheers for your reply mate smile looks like Im going to live with it lol, I was thinking of selling soon to start another van and thought this would put folk off sad  Ive spent quite a bit making it into a camper too ... Lol its never easy hahaha   big_smile

I'll go with Casper on this ..... If needs practice and  perfect the double clutch which really means slowing down the gear change a bit (match engine RPM with G/box) .... Not as easy to do  on a gearbox with small cogs (It is doable) as it was when I drove a lorry with a crash box and never used the clutch when moving...... It's probably a little wear in the scyncro hub and baulk ring ..... Also before condemning box, check gearbox oil ........ Change or top up if necessary and I tend to add in something like Molyslip...... can work wonders as gearbox service, oil change etc is usually ignored................

#6 2017-11-01 10:25:51

Casper

vaz2121 wrote:

I'll go with Casper on this ..... If needs practice and  perfect the double clutch which really means slowing down the gear change a bit (match engine RPM with G/box) .... Not as easy to do  on a gearbox with small cogs (It is doable)

More or less that. My wifes little Fiat is the same when going into fifth but only with me. She is driving like Miss Daisy while i am more Jacky Stewart. (Always better than Hamilton) If i slow it down a tad the car is fine. I found with the 19D you forget its a plodder and want to get a shift on so rev each gear more and get up the box faster but if speed is what you want get a turbo.

#7 2017-11-03 20:27:35

luthier

Casper wrote:
vaz2121 wrote:

I'll go with Casper on this ..... If needs practice and  perfect the double clutch which really means slowing down the gear change a bit (match engine RPM with G/box) .... Not as easy to do  on a gearbox with small cogs (It is doable)

More or less that. My wifes little Fiat is the same when going into fifth but only with me. She is driving like Miss Daisy while i am more Jacky Stewart. (Always better than Hamilton) If i slow it down a tad the car is fine. I found with the 19D you forget its a plodder and want to get a shift on so rev each gear more and get up the box faster but if speed is what you want get a turbo.

Lol the crunch adds character to the van hahaha , be a bugger when i try and sell it though sad

#8 2017-11-26 18:11:35

captainboggles

it'll be the syncro.   nurse it and be kind to it  then a box swop.

Board footer