The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-17 01:31:48

kenbw2
Administrator

DVLA reclassiffication without fixed bed or table - how strict?

I've got my Dispatch kitted out as a camper - it's definitely fully equipped as I happen to live in it full time. But I'm not one for aesthetics so it's very... functional.

Space is at a premium, so doing things in a way that makes best use of space has been my priority.

In terms of the stock requirements that I do fulfil:

• A door that provides access to the living accommodation

• Yep - sliding side doors and windows

• A water storage tank or container on, or in, the vehicle

• Yep - 20 litre mounted to the wall with water pump for the tap and mini sink

• A permanently fixed means of storage, a cupboard, locker or wardrobe

• Full height shelving with large baskets to store food, clothes, cookware etc

• A permanently fixed cooking facility within the vehicle, powered by gas or electricity

• Double gas stove mounted to a sideboard, hooked up to 3.9/4.5kg Calor bottle in a sealed bucket at the back vented to the outside

• At least one window on the side of the accommodation

• All my doors have windows

Other things I have in there beyond these requirements:

• Leisure battery with split charge relay and completely separate electrics for the house stuff, as well as solar panel on the roof

• Furnishings - carpeted throughout, taxi roof lining, wooden panelling on the doors, walls carpeted over

• Insulated throughout with rockwool-style plastic wool

• Curtains on tracks across all windows

• Both swivel seats in the front

I have photos of the build process for all of this, from obvious panel van to obvious camper.

But there are two sticking points I have that block me from going for it.

• A bed, which has a minimum length of 1800mm or 6 feet ... must be permanently fixed within the body of the vehicle

• This is a stickler. I specifically don't want to take up a load of space with a bed, especially as I need it to *sometimes* be a double for when my girlfriend joins me for weekends away. I have 2 foam mattresses (6ft long) that fold out onto the floor and stow under the shelves during the day

• A seating and dining area, permanently attached to the vehicle - the table may be detachable but must have some permanent means of attachment

• Again, I don't have any interest in a table. It's unnecessary space.

How strict are they going to be on those two things?

Is there any harm in submitting my application on the understanding that I might be rejected?

Last edited by kenbw2 (2018-01-17 02:00:47)

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#2 2018-01-17 04:58:45

vaz2121

Re: DVLA reclassiffication without fixed bed or table - how strict?

kenbw2 wrote:

But there are two sticking points I have that block me from going for it.

• A bed, which has a minimum length of 1800mm or 6 feet ... must be permanently fixed within the body of the vehicle

• This is a stickler. I specifically don't want to take up a load of space with a bed, especially as I need it to *sometimes* be a double for when my girlfriend joins me for weekends away. I have 2 foam mattresses (6ft long) that fold out onto the floor and stow under the shelves during the day

• A seating and dining area, permanently attached to the vehicle - the table may be detachable but must have some permanent means of attachment

• Again, I don't have any interest in a table. It's unnecessary space.

How strict are they going to be on those two things?

Is there any harm in submitting my application on the understanding that I might be rejected?

I'm going to take the view "As a govt dept with an idiot sheet to follow they will enforce it unless  they miss it"......

However I have No fixed table attachment currently within my van .......... Either classification was different then when it was done
But I'm of the opinion it was taken out and forgotten to reinstall....................

I have more than once thought of either  installing a flap that could be raised and double as a small table ... extension to our ltd work top......
But discounted it.......
Or one of those rails that you can attach/detach a small table with an adjustable height leg and cover the bases as said above and store it to inside rear door when not in use and also possibly attach it to van outside.......

But as my partner is in charge of the galley and has announced she prefers the little fold out table we have as is... which is just big/small enough to fit inside, but it's mostly used outside at sliding door when weather is not so inclement.... SWMBO.....Thought's gone no further.............

So Can you afix a bench type seat that could be used as a single and pull out to a double ........Show attachment for and a removable type table  even if you never use it!

I'm sure I'm opening a can of worms here but It looks to me it must comply when presented a bit like an MOT is only a guarantee "It past at that time"
What happens if you change your mind.... remodeling, rejigging, updating or changing your initial design to one that is more suitable to your demands now after reclassified as motor caravan?

I have no idea if a rejection means their more vigilant in their attentions where your vans concerned............
But why bother if your convinced it'll be rejected?.........

Last edited by vaz2121 (2018-01-17 05:08:07)

#3 2018-01-17 12:39:32

kenbw2
Administrator

vaz2121 wrote:

I'm sure I'm opening a can of worms here but It looks to me it must comply when presented a bit like an MOT is only a guarantee "It past at that time"
What happens if you change your mind

It had occurred to me I could install something now, and maybe not have to think about it as being a permanent fixture.

vaz2121 wrote:

But why bother if your convinced it'll be rejected?.........

Because it means going to the effort of building and fitting things I have no interest in having smile If I can submit without them, then all the better. But like you say I don't know if it'd affect possible future submissions.

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#4 2018-01-17 14:24:42

Casper

I not long got my bus changed to camper. I do have a table but now i have camper status that is getting binned. FWIW table does not have to be fixed. The type you slot into a hole/flange in your floor buy a metal tube and table lit slots on tube is good enough. Just find a silver metal table leg and make it look like a table for the pictures. My bed is not properly fixed but i told them it was bolted through the floor, same with units. Reason being i know i was doing a refit at my leisure so just did a throw together to get the motor caravan status. My new sofa bed is also not properly fixed. Its across the back doors and screwed into the ply flooring. There is two removable units in front of that what soon will have drop bolts so this will hold everything in place in the event of a crash. I want them removable so i can still use the van for the odd bet removals and gardening work. Cant tel DVLA that though big_smile

16 pictures is all i took with a cover note. Sent them away with a filled out reg doc and it should only take between two to three weeks

#5 2018-01-17 21:02:14

OAT

As C says, it's really not worth worrying about to much. 

It's nothing like an MOT and more to stop people claiming motor home status to take advantage of any reduced costs in comparison to a commercial vehicle.  They just want to stop people putting a backpacking stove and an airbed in the back of the works van and claiming it's a camper.

And how on earth do they define "detachable but must have some permanent means of attachment" anyway?  Velcro, chewing gum, magnet?  I have had a van reclassified ok with just the flat top of a locker accepted as a table.  And another with just an 8" flip up shelf at the side of the sink.

Motor caravan minimum features

In order for a converted vehicle to qualify as a motor caravan it must have certain minimum features:

A door that provides access to the living accommodation
A bed, which has a minimum length of 1800mm or 6 feet - this can be converted from seats used for other purposes during the day but must be permanently fixed within the body of the vehicle
Awater storage tank or container on, or in, the vehicle
A seating and dining area, permanently attached to the vehicle - the table may be detachable but must have some permanent means of attachment to the vehicle. It is not good enough to have a loose table
A permanently fixed means of storage, a cupboard, locker or wardrobe
A permanently fixed cooking facility within the vehicle, powered by gas or electricity
At least one window on the side of the accommodation

If the vehicle has all of these features present, permanently fixed and installed properly, then it is a legal requirement to have it reclassified as a motor caravan on the V5C.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...to-a-motorhome

Never heard of a single person being challenged at any later date about still conforming to the regs.  Could happen though if you stripped it out and were involved in an accident while carrying a ton or more of scrap to the tip I suppose.  But surely not just for a missing table leaf?

Board footer