The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-06 18:25:27

LR06

...also speedometer not working

Hello,

I see this is a common fault and, although the last thread on here is asking the same question, I didn't want to hijack it with my question.

I've got an '06 plate HDI 2.0 Dispatch and I have the same fault, where the speedo intermittently drops to zero and then stays there.  When its registering zero, the van also runs "lumpily" (it "kangaroos") at low speed and with my foot of the accelerator.

I've replaced the gearbox sensor, but this made no difference.

I've connected up to the diagnostics socket, but there are no faults logged and I can't get any live data to come up.

Can anybody tell me if the ECU gets a speed feed from the gearbox sensor or the binnacle?

My van's not got ABS, but I see some people saying there's a speed pick-up there, too - is this in addition to the gearbox sensor?

Thanks for any help you're able to put my way smile

#2 2018-02-08 14:35:45

vaz2121

Re: ...also speedometer not working

LR06 wrote:

Hello,

I see this is a common fault and, although the last thread on here is asking the same question, I didn't want to hijack it with my question.

I've got an '06 plate HDI 2.0 Dispatch and I have the same fault, where the speedo intermittently drops to zero and then stays there.  When its registering zero, the van also runs "lumpily" (it "kangaroos") at low speed and with my foot of the accelerator.

I've replaced the gearbox sensor, but this made no difference.

I've connected up to the diagnostics socket, but there are no faults logged and I can't get any live data to come up.

Can anybody tell me if the ECU gets a speed feed from the gearbox sensor or the binnacle?

My van's not got ABS, but I see some people saying there's a speed pick-up there, too - is this in addition to the gearbox sensor?

Thanks for any help you're able to put my way smile

There is indeed a common fault/issue/thread emerging on these vehicles (speedo,odometer readings etc) but the similar end results is not always attributed to one single facet ................ (mk1 vans/MPV's are no longer spring chickens)

The binnacles are seemingly a weak spot and I have come across a few instances where (myself included) a replacement seams to be the cure.(unsure if now age related,  working environment, a dampness or such, something associated with camper activates or just poor build quality.......... appears certain binnacle issue on some the Relay Boxer Ducato also)

I stated in the other thread you mentioned:..That the speed pick up I was always lead to believe was from an ABS ring  even if the vehicle was not kitted out with ABS. ( I have over the years had vehicles like this)

Non ABS: My van is a year older (2005) and is a DW8 (Not HDI)............... I was convinced that No ABS was fitted.....To find it does have ABS........... I've to this day never seen an ABS pump/fitting under the bonnet but obviously.... it's all hidden  somewhere .....under the battery?.

"During my ABS Problem (N/S front ring breaking and falling off) and subsequent binnacle Issues very shortly after the only Item to work properly/faultlessly during this was my speedometer"............

Another thing I'm lead to believe..... An Hdi or any ECU (electrically) controlled fuel injection system needs "Is a speed signal" for what ever black magic reason
("When its registering zero, the van also runs "lumpily" (it "kangaroos") at low speed and with my foot of the accelerator.)?

I'd since assumed these vans/mpv's must have a pickup from gearbox or the likes....... Whether this is the sole Speed signal and to where it's input-ed first I have no idea ...............(As these engines are fitted to several various Peugeot/Citroen I would also assume various uses of same/similar gearbox with choices of ratios across brands/models)
It would appear as you say that there is indeed a gearbox speed sensor.... I've learned (through grapevine)... That you need to check that the drive on gearbox is still attached and seated correctly or not broken..........

Mileage retention: I witnessed on some vans the clocks replaced were showing same mileage (as expected after a week/month or so from failure to replacement) or like mine the replacement shows around ten thousand or so less

This doesn't answer your question per-say but there maybe a nugget of inspiration to be gleaned

#3 2018-02-10 21:04:54

LR06

Re: ...also speedometer not working

Thanks for that - that's certainly a tonne of info!

I hope the sensor drive gear hasn't failed - it's "great scrapheap in the sky" for my van if that's happened!

All the best smile

Board footer