The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-13 12:19:26

Gareth

Firewall

Hello

I am installing an active subwoofer in my 2001 Expert. Any tips on getting a cable through the firewall and to the battery would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Gareth

#2 2016-02-13 12:33:23

Casper

Re: Firewall

You would have a few holes in it already for the likes of wire harness, heater hoses, clutch/brake/throttle cables. See if you can piggy back on one. If you drill a new hole make sure you use a grommet or your cable will rub and short. I was thinking about this also for my leasure battery and decided to drill through the floor and out to engine bay as battery will be under a seat. Have a look also at the handbrake cable as that may be a large enough hole to piggy back out.

#3 2016-02-13 12:53:25

Gareth

Seems to be an reasonably easy to access grommet where the bonnet release cable goes out. How do I tackle the grommet? Just push through with a screwdriver or try and pop it out of the hole?

Cheers

#4 2016-02-13 13:38:19

Casper

Gareth wrote:

Seems to be an reasonably easy to access grommet where the bonnet release cable goes out. How do I tackle the grommet? Just push through with a screwdriver or try and pop it out of the hole?

Cheers

Aye that would be a better choice due to less movement. The Grommet should just pop out but you may need one with a larger hole to get all the wires through. 1000's on ebay. Search for open Grommet like this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/32mm-Rubber-O … SwyQtViTDm

You may be able to cut your open but you run the risk of water getting into the cab of not sealed up. Squirt of silicon should cure that.

#5 2016-02-13 14:33:08

Gareth

The grommet where the bonnet release goes out has an extra hole in mine. Very nice of the people at Peugeot. I can force a screwdriver all the way through. Could not see the screwdriver in the engine bay so need to have a rummage around a try and follow the bonnet release cable back to its entry point in to the van. Anyone got any tips for that? Seems very hard to get to the back of the engine bay.

mini_IMG_1080.jpegmini_IMG_1082.jpeg

#6 2016-02-13 15:28:17

Casper

You may find you have a 2nd skin/firewall. Pull the one inside the cab and look through for engine one. What you picking through the hole, battery cable? that should be strong enough to just poke but if just power wires i would look for some sort of plastic stube/thick straw to put the cables in first.

#7 2016-02-13 15:39:34

Gareth

Hi Casper. Would it be possible to explain that in more detail I don't fully understand the first part about the second firewall.

I am trying to feed through a wire to attach to the battery. Seems like a good suggestion to try and push through a length of plastic tube so I can actually get the wire through the grommet.

It seems very hard to see where the cable would come out in the cab, seems concealed behind the lump behind the battery. Hoping that if I can feed it through easily I should be able to spot it.

#8 2016-02-13 15:56:23

Casper

The firewall may have two layers of metal before you reach the engine. Not all so you may well not have but you may see what i mean with this picture. The van may just be double skinned up the top where the well is for the wiper motor. I have not investigated that much. I only suggest it as you said you could not see the screwdriver at the other side. This is what made me think double skinned. You may just have a short screwdriver big_smile Mind and make sure the grommets are fitted back snug. Last thing you want is diesel fumes getting in the cab.

1305-proper-organization-when-disassembling-a-car-firewall-stripped-down.jpg

#9 2016-02-14 12:14:56

Gareth

There is a double grommet on either side of the van. One by the driver has the bonnet release going through it. High up on the passenger side (well and truly behind the glove box) is another. This is a photo of the back of the grommet from the engine bay. I have circled the two dots, they are yellow plastic and sealed. Seems they need to be punched out, cut or opened up somehow. They are very inaccessible. Anyone with experience of opening up these grommets? Thanks.

IMG_1087.jpeg

#10 2016-02-14 12:48:57

Gareth

Casper, I am going to start a new thread with a more obvious title.

#11 2018-03-23 17:24:17

unter
Website

I have had a red amp power cable running from the battery positive to the rear quarters for years,
firewalls are very difficult to find a whole because they have multiple layers of metal and goo.

so-- positive + runs directly Right from the battery and through the big holes in the wing panel, i tied the cable to a twig to help lead it to the back of the
wing panel, from there it goes through the door speaker area, then under the foot plastic bit, then Bob's you uncle Fanny's your aunt.

lucky the cable has a fuse built in near the battery so if it shorted out on the bodywork somehow, the fuse would pop.

monkey vano

Board footer