The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-19 13:53:19

luthier

Insurance after changing docs to a camper van

Has anyone ever changed their documents to a camper van after converting ?  If so what did you find cheaper, standard van Insurance or Camper van Insurance , my van is £104 as a commercial, I cant see how it would get any cheaper being a camper  hmm   has anyone done this ?  cheers...

#2 2018-05-20 13:21:49

vaz2121

Re: Insurance after changing docs to a camper van

You have a very valid point ............

How do we define cheaper?

My Experience:-Commercial insurance covers base vehicle only .... not items/cargo on board that's seperate policy "good in transit"

Not to get to deep into variants...........
having kitted out several very rudimentary sleeping facilities in commecial vans over the years ........ some of the aspects/pitfalls then pointed out to us were unlisted"modifications" and when informed (Insurance company) of usage to be informed in return which also BTW included a one time had international insurance policy/cover on artics .. amongst the get out of jail clauses for them was  "Any fire damage caused from cooking within vehicle was NOT covered........................

Is coversion items in van "good in transit" or modifications

I pay quite a bit more than you've quoted for insurance for my motorhome cover ...... to be fair I have extensive Eurotravel cover on mine aswell

#3 2018-05-20 13:37:57

OAT

I think being cheaper or dearer depending on registration as a camper or commercials is difficult to know for sure.  There are so many other variables affecting individual quotes.  I doubt there is a lot in it for most people although different individuals seem to find either an advantage in some cases.

Best would be to get quotes for both for yourself.

If it does fit DVLA definitions though, they say it's a "legal requirement" to have it changed to motorhome.

Guidance  Converting a vehicle into a motorhome

Iv'e never heard any of the many driving undeclared "motorhomes" having any problems over it though.  To be sure, I suppose you would only need to fail any one of the requirements and it wouldn't then be a motorhome in the eyes of the DVLA.

#4 2018-05-20 14:37:34

vaz2121

OAT wrote:

I think being cheaper or dearer depending on registration as a camper or commercials is difficult to know for sure.

Best would be to get quotes for both for yourself.

I'm afraid I did
My insurance company I was with at time of van purchace did not cover motor-homes/campers and then tried to quote for van with modifications
Then I assume the algorithm  S**T itself and refused to quote on van with so many modifications

I see a problem arising possibly when
1. claim is made........... insurance company who are willing to take your premium now start wriggling profusely
2. P.C. plod decides that the vehicle is not insured for it's intended current usage ....... issue a fine for no/invalid insurance
(Usually commecial use on private policy i.e. Pizza delivery etc)

#5 2018-05-20 14:55:42

Casper

Bare in mine i have a 17 seat minibus. This was 500 quid last year. Changed to camper and it went down to 200 with one years NCB. My tax went up though. Minibus tax was 165 there about where the camper is taxed the same as a van what is around 230 quid.

If you go to euroland you will notice a saving. Get a quote from DFDS or P&O as commercial then pick the same days as a camper. Lots cheaper. Saying that when i took my expert over i booked as camper even though it was still classed as commercial. I understand some toll roads are cheaper also and some sites wont let you in if you look like a van

#6 2018-05-20 14:56:26

luthier

I suppose when you add the risk of losing everything because a commercially insured van is modified and therefore invalidates your Insurance completely sad  but by creating a camper I might pay a premium to be insured but at least I'm adequately covered lol yikes  So at the minute I'm in limbo, I really am not covered if I had a crash under commercial Insurance, but to get covered as a camper van I need to fit at least one side window and a fixed table then change classification ... I think I will press on a go for the latter lol ...cheers guys...

#7 2018-05-20 17:17:33

vaz2121

Casper wrote:

Bare in mine i have a 17 seat minibus. This was 500 quid last year. Changed to camper and it went down to 200 with one years NCB. My tax went up though. Minibus tax was 165 there about where the camper is taxed the same as a van what is around 230 quid.

If you go to euroland you will notice a saving. Get a quote from DFDS or P&O as commercial then pick the same days as a camper. Lots cheaper. Saying that when i took my expert over i booked as camper even though it was still classed as commercial. I understand some toll roads are cheaper also and some sites wont let you in if you look like a van

Swings a Roundabouts I suppose............. I booked the Dispatch on ferry as a MPV/CAR and DFDS sugested it when I was on phone to them.......As I described it as a window van/Camper based on a MPV/Wheelchair bus and they asked does it have seats in back as well as windows all round "You can Go as a Car 2.2M high X 5M long IIRC and nobody said/asked a Dicky in Port....... got charged as a car also when we did use peage.............

I digress................... I believe you can get a sort of intermediate insurance during your conversion but I think there's may also time constrants for it no longer being a van and becoming a Camper?...............

May be worth asking a question or 3 .............

It's all to easy to get caught out without even trying

Last edited by vaz2121 (2018-05-20 17:27:04)

#8 2018-05-20 18:04:37

luthier

vaz2121 wrote:
Casper wrote:

Swings a Roundabouts I suppose............. I booked the Dispatch on ferry as a MPV/CAR and DFDS sugested it when I was on phone to them.......As I described it as a window van/Camper based on a MPV/Wheelchair bus and they asked does it have seats in back as well as windows all round "You can Go as a Car 2.2M high X 5M long IIRC and nobody said/asked a Dicky in Port....... got charged as a car also when we did use peage.............

I digress................... I believe you can get a sort of intermediate insurance during your conversion but I think there's may also time constrants for it no longer being a van and becoming a Camper?...............

I didn't realise there was an in between kind of insurance yikes  that makes sense tbh, all I need is a window and a fixed table and sorted big_smile   and of course change documents lol

#9 2018-05-20 18:05:45

luthier

I didn't realise there was an in between kind of insurance   yikes  that makes sense tbh, all I need is a window and a fixed table and sorted big_smile   and of course change documents lol

Last edited by luthier (2018-05-20 18:07:22)

#10 2018-05-21 16:00:44

Casper

I never bothered with the in between policy. I never seen the point as i was never going to use it as a camper till done. Having said that i now know its cheaper doing it this way as you are getting insured from a dedicated camper insurance company. I now use AIB insurance who do this. One guy i know is getting dicked about with DVLA and has been given an extension three times now.

#11 2018-05-21 17:22:35

luthier

Casper wrote:

I never bothered with the in between policy. I never seen the point as i was never going to use it as a camper till done. Having said that i now know its cheaper doing it this way as you are getting insured from a dedicated camper insurance company. I now use AIB insurance who do this. One guy i know is getting dicked about with DVLA and has been given an extension three times now.

I don't think I will bother either thinking about it hmm  maybe a few years ago when I was younger I would have chanced going down the cheaper who cares what happens route lol, but aulder, slightly wiser and couldn't handle the hassle involved if any Insurance claim arose, just need to get my finger out and fit a window lol big_smile  it doesn't have to be a sliding window though, does it hmm ?

#12 2018-05-22 17:38:51

tee_cee

vaz2121 wrote:
Casper wrote:

Just to add that I've sucessfully booked as a car/MPV with P&O (England-France) , Stena (to Ireland) & Irish Ferrys (France-Ireland)

#13 2018-05-23 08:29:06

Casper

No luthier. A fixed sold window is enough

Board footer