The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-24 19:26:18

solvemon

[SOLVED] Melted crankshaft pulley damper

Hello all!

I have a 2005 Scudo 2.0 JTD, and lately I've been hearing a slight squeaking noise whenever I start the engine, that lasts for about 1 or 2 minutes. The last couple of days it got a lot worse, and there is a rattling noise that seemed to come from the area of the serpentine belt. Today this rattling noise got really bad (embarrassing to drive home from work...), and I started smelling burnt rubber.

When I got home I had a look under the hood and noticed something sticking out from the crankshaft pulley that was wobbling around like crazy. After a couple of hours of cooldown I had a look again, this time through the wheel-bay (lifting up the plastic cover), and noticed something strange. I managed to take a picture:
4hwptH3.jpg

From what I understand, in between the inner and outer wheel there is supposed to be a sort of rubber damper to soak up vibrations. The wobbly part you see there seems to be some sort of sheeting, but its quite soft and I can rotate it around freely. I touched the gooey stuff, and it feels like very thick tar, or more likely, melted rubber. I'm guessing this would be the remains of the harmonic damper?

Does anyone have any experience with a similar problem? Any suggestions on what could have caused this to happen? The van has done about 170k km.

Anyone have any experience and/or instructions on how to change this pulley wheel, or if its even worth trying this myself?

Thanks

Last edited by solvemon (2018-05-31 06:12:54)

2005 Scudo 2.0 JTD

#2 2018-05-28 12:29:27

steve the grease

Re: [SOLVED] Melted crankshaft pulley damper

You really need to replace this pulley as soon as possible. It has gone beyond the point of failure. You would need to lock the crank and undo the crankpulley bolt , these are very tight indeed and you would struggle on ramps. They are tight to undo even  with the vehicle up in the air. Make sure you get a proper good quality damper,  there are some nasty cheap pattern parts that dont have the rubber damper, just an o ring laid in a groove to  make it look like there is a damper! So Eurospares / GSF , a proper one is about £80 ish , if it's too cheap it won't have a damper, quite possibly.

Last edited by steve the grease (2018-05-28 12:29:43)

#3 2018-05-28 17:57:43

solvemon

Thanks for your reply Steve!

So far, I've removed the belt and the wheel.

It wasn't very problematic at all, I first pressed "back" the tensioner wheel, and pinned it into place with a nail in the small lock holes. With the tensioner pushed back, i could remove the belt. Once the belt was off, I put the van into 5th, and used a cheater pipe with a 22mm pipe (I think). A few good pulls and it came right off.

You are totally correct in that there is a big difference in the parts available, that are supposedly compatible. The cheaper ones seem to be missing the damper part completely, which I imagine would likely hurt the crankshaft in the long run?

I ordered one of the more expensive ones (~ price about the same as you suggested), and a new belt. Awaiting parts, will update as I get them and try to refit.

For future reference, I more or less followed this video from a Peugeot 406 HDI engine. It was very similar, with the exception of the ECU positioning. In my case I could fit a spanner on the tensioner from below, and push on it with a pipe from above (sort of in between the piping coming out from the Webasto heater), while a helper locked the tensioner in place.

Its nice to know the engine from a whole range of other cars seem to be quite similar:

Youtube wrote:

This car is a 2002 Peugeot 406 its engine is a 2.0 HDi 110 DW10ATED, also found in a number of other PSA cars including Peugeot 206,306,307,607,806,807 and Citroen xsara, xantia, C5, and C8, as well as vans including the berlingo and partner, possibly also the relay and expert.

2005 Scudo 2.0 JTD

#4 2018-05-31 06:12:36

solvemon

So yesterday I refitted the new wheel and belt, and all in all, not a very hard job!

I smeared a few drops of engine oil on the inside of the new wheel, and it slipped on quite easily. In order to get it to engage onto its little notch, I put a large pipe over the center of the wheel (about 24mm) and tapped it with a mallet until home.

To get the belt on, I followed the diagram in the video.

The only hard part was tightening the eccentric pulley; First off, there is a sort of runoff metal pipe coming down from the Webasto heater that was directly in front of the wheel, so I had to fiddle my allen-key in behind this. I loosened the center bolt as explained, and then fitted a quarter inch driver into the slot to move it. What I didn't realize was that I would be tightening the center bolt as I pulled the wheel around, and I actually ended up putting too much force on it, breaking my tool. Fortunately, I had still managed to move the wheel quite a bit, and pick up most of the slack. It had not tightened the belt enough for me to pull the nail out of the tensioner hole unfortunately, so that had to be pressed down again, same procedure as when removing the belt. Once the tensioner re-engaged, the belt seemed very nice and tight, and the engine is now purring like a cat again! big_smile

2005 Scudo 2.0 JTD

Board footer