The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-17 21:16:11

tee_cee

Rear brake self adjusters

Have replaced the brake shoes and let the adjusters back out enough to get the drums back on.
However the handbrake needs to be pulled all the wayy up to hold. So this means that theres not enough clearance to turn the drivers seat.
Reading about self adjusters, it can either be by handbrake use, or braking in reverse. Does anyone knowwhich it is?

#2 2018-07-23 01:13:27

kenbw2
Administrator

Re: Rear brake self adjusters

Obviously not a great solution, but do you know some Dispatch/Expert/Scudos/Synergies/806s/Ulysees have a handbrake that you can fold down without disengaging?

The button on the end pulls out letting you drop it down.

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#3 2018-07-24 02:04:27

OAT

Sorry tc I can't help with the self adjusters.  Got to the point where I now have to pay someone to do mine for me.

Mine is a bit of a problem with the swivel seat but it only catches on the swivel release lever.  It can be "persuaded" to let it pass and has now cut a groove in the plastic cover of the brake lever, which helps.

kenbw2 wrote:

Obviously not a great solution, but do you know some Dispatch/Expert/Scudos/Synergies/806s/Ulysees have a handbrake that you can fold down without disengaging?

The button on the end pulls out letting you drop it down.

Interesting!

My handbrake had behaved normally for 18 months when it suddenly started dropping down like you describe.  But it did it without needing to touch the button.

Turned out to be an indication of total failure though as a week later it stopped engaging at all.

Must try pulling the button on the replacement one I fitted.  Would be handy if it dropped flat.

#4 2018-07-25 17:22:07

tee_cee

Unfortunately my handbrake does not drop. Anyway the self adjusters don't appear to be working. So looks like I'll have to take the drums off and manually adjust them back again. Think I'm getting to the point where I can't be bothered with the hastle too.

#5 2018-07-25 19:14:08

eddie78

In all my years of working on cars/vans I am yet to see self adjusters that work, japanese cars with drums on the rears have self adjusters (legal requirement) but they put a hole in the back plate so you can manually notch them up

#6 2018-07-25 20:28:41

steve the grease

These screw type self adjusters are not great engineering. They will not take up if there is a lot of adjustment needed. If you are dexterous , you can adjust the little wheel through one of the wheelnut holes. You need a small screwdriver and a small torch ( pen torch) to see down the wheelnut hole.  From memory the  nut needs to move down to tighten it, after a while it will start to come back into range.  It's better to do this than drop the drums off as there is usually a ridge caused by the shoes wearing the drum, which stops you getting the drum off easily. All in all it's a pain to do.

Last edited by steve the grease (2018-07-25 20:28:57)

#7 2018-08-10 21:15:19

tee_cee

steve the grease wrote:

These screw type self adjusters are not great engineering. They will not take up if there is a lot of adjustment needed. If you are dexterous , you can adjust the little wheel through one of the wheelnut holes. You need a small screwdriver and a small torch ( pen torch) to see down the wheelnut hole.  From memory the  nut needs to move down to tighten it, after a while it will start to come back into range.  It's better to do this than drop the drums off as there is usually a ridge caused by the shoes wearing the drum, which stops you getting the drum off easily. All in all it's a pain to do.

Took the drums off and turned the wheels until the drums would not go back on. I think the adjuster was working on one side, even though the other side looked exactly the same. Handbrake now back to normal - but interesting that such a small adjustment can stop my seat swiveling.

Board footer