The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#26 2017-09-08 21:53:03

Casper

Re: The Blue Lemon - 1.9D Scudo Conversion

Aye. My pug it looked like spot welds along the floor so i took an old chisel to them but its a solid silicon type goo what came away with a good whack

#27 2017-09-14 20:41:44

Jehb

Casper wrote:

Aye. My pug it looked like spot welds along the floor so i took an old chisel to them but its a solid silicon type goo what came away with a good whack

Oooh okay interesting, I'll have a look at that tomorrow as I took the floor out today smile New seats went in the other day, although I realised after putting the first one in that they had the wrong bases on so had to come out again haha

Needs a good rinse down and then insulation can begin finally yikes

y1YKJGF.png

Last edited by Jehb (2017-09-14 20:43:10)

#28 2017-11-26 21:16:53

Jehb

So finally a bit more progress - if only a little.

After scouring the internet for windows and vans for weeks on end, we found one locally in the same colour that was being scrapped so were able to buy doors with windows for fairly cheap as well as a few other bits. Very nearly travelled 5 hours for one more expensive so very pleased monkey

rPjlNEN.jpg

Only got the back door swapped over so far but should have the others on soon, just wish the days weren't getting so short!

U7SKWnw.jpg

#29 2017-11-27 21:20:22

SteveP

I am enjoying reading your progress with the "blue lemon"  smile - its all taking shape. I hope to be doing something similar with a silver 1.9 WAV Dispatch. I looked for that conversion as it already had the headlining and windows in. It failed MOT on a few more bits than yours! Are you going to fit windows in the side panels or just the rear and sliding doors?
Keep posting.

#30 2017-11-29 21:02:38

Jehb

SteveP wrote:

I am enjoying reading your progress with the "blue lemon"  smile - its all taking shape. I hope to be doing something similar with a silver 1.9 WAV Dispatch. I looked for that conversion as it already had the headlining and windows in. It failed MOT on a few more bits than yours! Are you going to fit windows in the side panels or just the rear and sliding doors?
Keep posting.

Glad you're enjoying it! I started this thread as I love looking back and seeing how it's coming along smile

Yeah I would have gotten one of the disability/taxi vans but I didn't want windows all the way round, so we can have some solid walls. Has been more troublesome as no headliner or side windows but hopefully will be worth it. A part of me does wish I got a disability van, even the van we took parts off was a lot nicer; electric windows, air con, headliner, side windows etc - although not the usual lowered floor so I wonder if it was custom fitted out for a wheelchair.

Will have to check out your progress when it gets going! big_smile

#31 2017-12-03 10:46:31

Jehb

First of the new side doors is on! Might just leave it with the rear and side as is but will give it a think. Previous owner sealed the P/S handle in place so might be trickier to swap the locks on that side. neutral

Just need to find some pre 2004 plastic side trim to fit to the rest of the van and it'll be looking pretty good - might actually cover a few of the scratches smile

ktzlkA1.jpg

Os58ODs.jpg

FBchMtL.jpg

#32 2017-12-03 18:03:08

SteveP

Looks good - the two door windows you have put in have let a lot of light into the back and having the window in passenger side so useful for pulling out at some junctions.

#33 2017-12-04 11:36:59

Jehb

SteveP wrote:

Looks good - the two door windows you have put in have let a lot of light into the back and having the window in passenger side so useful for pulling out at some junctions.

You know I hadn't thought about rear visibility, thats a good point! Still contemplating putting the rest of the windowed doors on but advantage of leaving it now is that we'd have more solid walls to use for potential storage, insulation etc, even if its not as symmetrically pleasing on the outside.  roll

#34 2017-12-16 19:23:32

Jehb

Put the new battery in today and it started first time! It's been sat for so long, I was surprised it started so well. Even better is the odometer works fine with the new battery. Taken it out for the time being to stop it going flat. Very excited to get driving it!

#35 2017-12-17 12:59:09

vaz2121

Jehb wrote:

Still contemplating putting the rest of the windowed doors on but advantage of leaving it now is that we'd have more solid walls to use for potential storage, insulation etc, even if its not as symmetrically pleasing on the outside.  roll

From a personal point of view the N/S sliding door with window would be enough for me and as you say leaves the rest of the van internally free for insulation and storage etc.

Rearward visibility:  I drove trucks for many a year and I discovered that the interior rear view mirror in this van like so many cars blocked my vision on roundabouts and junctions when driving abroad ............ So off it came ....Door mirrors are large enough to do the job
I have windows all round and tend only to have N/S side door blind opened, I also tend to leave curtains closed on rear doors too.........

You've already touched on it... The extra light in back of van, The other thing is going on ferries if it looks like a van they may want commercial rates ..The Scudo,expert ,dispatch will go on a ferry as a MPV..... but charged as a van you can double the fare... Most folks from what I've heard have had no problems but  have at least had windows in the side doors....

Enjoy building your van to how you want it but don't be surprised if you want things different in a wee while.......

I'm probably preaching to the converted
  If in regular use, " It takes to long to get too or to do you'll be cursing it shortly"

Last edited by vaz2121 (2017-12-17 13:12:41)

#36 2018-01-17 01:48:34

kenbw2
Administrator

vaz2121 wrote:

The Scudo,expert ,dispatch will go on a ferry as a MPV..... but charged as a van you can double the fare... Most folks from what I've heard have had no problems but  have at least had windows in the side doors....

Can confirm, went Dover to Calais and back on "tall car" rates. No questions asked.

vaz2121 wrote:

Enjoy building your van to how you want it but don't be surprised if you want things different in a wee while.......

Yep, you're never finished, but that's half the fun!

Last edited by kenbw2 (2018-01-17 01:48:48)

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#37 2018-01-17 14:35:26

Casper

I booked mine as motorhome. Worked out the same price as car as i put dimensions in (DFDS) Did a quote for same trip as a van what will get classed as commercial and it was around £200 dearer from Newcastle to Ijmuiden. You get cheaper rates also on some toll roads plus if using campsites some wont allow vans so worth having a window installed if you dont have one.

#38 2018-01-17 17:26:41

vaz2121

Casper wrote:

You get cheaper rates also on some toll roads.

I do my utmost not to use the ( péage) toll roads

But on certain sections on-route on our trips to Spain it makes sense to pay a few Euro's and save two or three hours maybe of ba** ache ........
Which predominately is Biarritz  to the other side of the Spanish border at Irun for us.............

Ive only once used the Autopista (Toll road .. "Freeway")  in Spain, That by mistake.......... Autovia (No Charge .. "Dual carriageway") is our preference

I digress ....Tolls can be a mine field dependent on what class vehicle, Time of day, Time of year, What country your in and how they go about collecting payment.....

France : Rule of thumb........ So long as vehicle is under 2 meters ( mk1 Dispatch, Jumpy, Expert and Scudo just scrape under) you get through (charged) as a car 

(Motorhomes outwith 2m/3m rule.... since Automation will invariably likely get incorrectly charged..... PITA/time consuming... but hit péage help button)

http://www.autoroutes.fr/fr/classificat … icules.htm

#39 2018-01-17 17:49:26

Casper

Ha snap for pricing my trip but i only used France and just cutting through

http://www.autoroutes.fr/index.htm?lang=en

I wanted to cut to south Germany ASAP otherwise i would have went the long way and missed France. I was told they decided the toll charge on Height so was worried i was getting charged to much with having a tall roof box when i had the Pug but when it came to paying i felt it was not that expensive. When i went last October with the LDV it was around the same price as the years before with the pug so the height thing must be crap. Unmanned tolls trucks had there own lanes to i will presume the height thing is for them being in the wrong lane. To tall it wont lift barrier or the likes. I was also looking to do Venice and was also told work out 80c to €1 per 10 miles is average. Never did work that one out to see if correct but yes, normally set the sat nav to no toll roads for a better scenic route.

#40 2018-08-03 16:46:10

Jehb

Thought I'd post a quick update, some good progress and some bad news. This is over the past few months before and after 3 months of travelling.

First off, we made a template for a gear gaiter. Plan is to make one with fabric matching the interior later on:
7MXNwKy.jpg

Secondly we got back from our travels and started on the interior! Insulation begun and battens laid. Hardest bit was getting out that blooming lower bulkhead!:
ziEijcA.jpg
J9vCXRw.jpg
Sk4lhHq.jpg

Now for the bad news. We found oil in the coolant which I believed to be from before the oil cooler was bypassed by the previous owner. We had a block test done and sadly it's come back as a head gasket fault! So now we are trying to decide whether to sell up at a massive loss or to spend £400-500 getting it fixed and carry on. I've spent about £1500 on the van alone now! Runs amazing and pretty solid but already well over budget and haven't driven it once in the year I've had it.

Decisions roll

#41 2018-08-03 22:53:06

luthier

Jehb wrote:

Thought I'd post a quick update, some good progress and some bad news. This is over the past few months before and after 3 months of travelling.

First off, we made a template for a gear gaiter. Plan is to make one with fabric matching the interior later on:
https://i.imgur.com/7MXNwKy.jpg

Secondly we got back from our travels and started on the interior! Insulation begun and battens laid. Hardest bit was getting out that blooming lower bulkhead!:
https://i.imgur.com/ziEijcA.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/J9vCXRw.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Sk4lhHq.jpg

Now for the bad news. We found oil in the coolant which I believed to be from before the oil cooler was bypassed by the previous owner. We had a block test done and sadly it's come back as a head gasket fault! So now we are trying to decide whether to sell up at a massive loss or to spend £400-500 getting it fixed and carry on. I've spent about £1500 on the van alone now! Runs amazing and pretty solid but already well over budget and haven't driven it once in the year I've had it.

I would keep going if you can smile I've just spent a £1000 on my van which wasn't really worth it but I had spent so much time converting it to a camper sad  whatever you decide, good luck big_smile
Decisions roll

#42 2018-08-03 22:55:08

Casper

If you try and sell/scrap you will get back next to jack shit so how about getting a gasket set and DIY. What you got to lose?

#43 2018-08-05 00:26:18

Jehb

Casper wrote:

If you try and sell/scrap you will get back next to jack shit so how about getting a gasket set and DIY. What you got to lose?

Yup! This is sort of what I'm thinking although not sure about doing it myself as apparently you need to drop the engine? My girlfriend seems to have lost all motivation and is saying "but what if something else goes wrong" but that doesn't really negate the fact that I won't get any money for it as is. It's been looked after other than having this oil sat in the coolant so long so hopefully this is the last it'll ask for for a bit. Although I imagine tyres and such could be a possible. MOT soon so we shall see :S

Spoke to my mechanic and he said the block test is fairly accurate and previous oil in the coolant from oil cooler issue is unlikely to have caused it to come back green which is unfortunate as that may have ruled out a head gasket issue cry

#44 2018-08-19 11:01:30

Jehb

Cut all the ply for the floor, just got to insulate it and screw it down. We're having a gap on one side to lay down some door mat material. I decided to cut it in this way as it makes use of 1 sheet of 2440 x 1220mm perfectly, with enough left over to fill the rear corners if need be.

XEahmGg.jpg

#45 2018-08-29 14:47:48

Jehb

Insulated the floor with some recycled plastic insulation. Very basic but hopefully better than nothing!

Whole floor should hopefully be screwed in soon!

QD3Upsy.jpg

#46 2018-08-30 23:40:26

kenbw2
Administrator

I've insulated my walls and ceiling with that stuff. It's great - no itchiness!

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#47 2018-09-07 17:13:05

Jehb

Decided to stick down the last of the foil on the ceiling and fit the headliner. We were going to wrap the front and back in a nicer fabric but at this point I've decided to prioritise so the little details like that can come later.

Also finally managed to find a second hand oil cooler at a reasonable price so should have that fitted and head gasket sorted in the next month or so hopefully (if this oil cooler doesn't also have a leak roll )

naLPtvF.jpg

mMXVDy9.jpg

#48 2018-09-26 23:26:10

MikeJ

Good news with the engine matters.

Liking the progress in the back too!

#49 2018-09-27 18:18:12

Jehb

MikeJ wrote:

Good news with the engine matters.

Liking the progress in the back too!

Thanks! Yours looks very clean!

-------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday my girlfriends dad, master of DIY, came round and helped us with cutting and laying the vinyl flooring.

We've left a little area for a step up and also cut the arch liners so they fit with the raised floor. Just need to clean up the arch liners and add some trim pieces to tidy it up.

7chGOEd.jpg

emgAfLA.jpg

#50 2018-10-01 18:58:37

ilovemyscudo

Hi
i am watching your progress with a keen eye
well done , its looks like it is going to be an excellent van when you are finished
i just wanted to ask you about the C 8 Seats , i have a 2003 Expert
and i stopped at the scrapyard on the way home today
they just took in a Citroen C8  with nice seats
will they go straight in ? or do you have to modify bases etc etc ?
like use the existing base and put the c 8 seat onto that ?
any help would be greatly appreciated
cheers
Dave

Last edited by ilovemyscudo (2018-10-01 18:59:03)

Board footer