The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-11 21:13:51

shuggs

Oil & water temp warning light

For the past 2 days oil warning light, STOP and a red light to the right of temp gauge has been on.  I have checked oil level with dipstick and coolant level - both are fine (yes I have checked on level ground).  Both have been checked with engine cold and running temp.

Anyone know how to solve??

b4ad2d2f-93eb-43ef-8912-365324c72603-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

#2 2018-10-11 21:38:40

kenbw2

Re: Oil & water temp warning light

It's worth pointing out that at least in the case of the coolant sensor, being unplugged (ie no signal) doesn't make it illuminate.

The oil light could be oil *pressure* - maybe the pump isn't working? Hard to diagnose that though as it's in the sump.

That coolant gauge looks very low - does it reach operating temp after a few minutes?

All this could be ECU issues though, at which point it's anyone's guess.

I know these aren't much use, but hopefully they give some thinking points.

PS: I'm somewhat jealous that all your odometer digits work!

Last edited by kenbw2 (2018-10-11 21:39:32)

1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9 DW8 Camper Conversion

#3 2018-10-13 19:39:46

shuggs

Pic was taken when engine was cold so coolant gauge is correct.

Oil pump - how to test without taking sump off??  When engine is up to temp oil level on dipstick is not as high so I assume that this means pump is working.

#4 2018-10-13 22:41:10

vaz2121

shuggs wrote:

Pic was taken when engine was cold so coolant gauge is correct.

Oil pump - how to test without taking sump off??  When engine is up to temp oil level on dipstick is not as high so I assume that this means pump is working.

I'll say YES because if engine has run long/far enough to get to operating temp I think it would have seized by then if oil pump was not working... plus it sounds like you just stopped engine and pulled dipstick and oil hasn't had time to all return to sump....... However it doesn't mean you don't have dangerously low oil pressure......

On the block/oil filter housing there will be  an oil pressure sender this is for the dash warning light..... What  you can do is get an aftermarket oil presssure gauge and screw it in there this should do two things .... tell you  what oil pressure you have and or if you have a faulty oil warning switch....... (old style non electric pressure gauge would be best over electronic guage)

personally I think you have an electrical glitch... having two seperate warning lights illuminate together  and as you said "coolant gauge is correct as engine was cold".....but I've been wrong before (many times)

#5 2018-10-14 21:17:08

steve the grease

The engine runs with about 40psi oil pressure, the light should come on at around 5-7 psi. If there actually was no oil pressure you wouldnt get to the end of the road until the cam siezed or the big ends went . ( anyone ever owned an old British bike?). The chance of 2 seperate sensor circuits failing independantly all at the same time is very unlikely. So most likely is that one fault is affecting both circuits.  Check that the wiring isn't chafed or shorted onto the engine somewhere, or a bad earth somewhere. The oil switch lights up the light by going short to earth , so if you remove the wire from the sensor the light should go off. Low reading on the temp suggests a partial short to earth somewhere.  Could also be ecu area fault or a fault at the display end.

Last edited by steve the grease (2018-10-14 21:18:21)

Board footer