The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-20 23:17:07

beelucky52

injector pump problems or possibly........

hello,

first post here. ive had my citroen dispatch 2004 1.9d non turbo for 9 months with no issues, but over the last 6 weeks maybe when engine is cold it seems like a kangaroo for the first 100 yds or so jerking etc on acceleration, then it drives normaly all day. yesterday same performance but engine stopped completely after 1/4 mile. i primed it with the button pump under the bonnet and it started and ran and revved  for approx 1 or 2 minutes. went through this procedure 4 or 5 times, each time cutting out after running for a minute or 2.

changed the fuel filter and noticed metal filings/shards in the bottom of the filter bowl. at first i thought the injector pump was knackered but  could the fault be a in tank pump or lift pump fault? my thinking being that the filter housing is before the injector pump in the fuel circuit so the fault could be before the filter.

any help would be most gratefully received
                                                        dennis

#2 2018-10-21 01:23:21

Casper

Re: injector pump problems or possibly........

Been a while since i had one of these vans but i am thinking the filter housing only has one intake from tank and one exit to pump. If so then no metal shaving will be from pump. Has it got a return pipe? if so it must be direct to tank. Could you be having a pressure issue? Air getting in and the fuel is just returning to the tank making it hard to start and run till pressure builds up.

#3 2018-10-21 08:58:55

beelucky52

thanks casper,

that makes sense, it's going to be wednesday before i'm able to look at it due to work commitments. i'll look for leaks and take it from there. i'm lucky in as much as i've got access to a 2 post lift to make life easier. i'm still puzzled as to the metal in the bottom of the filter housing though.

thanks dennis

#4 2018-10-22 10:35:05

kenbw2
Administrator

This does sound quite similar to when my fuel pump gave up the ghost. It would fail to start, then run, then randomly cut out while driving. I also once saw a video that said exactly what you said about the metal in the filter housing = pump on its way out.

Casper wrote:

Been a while since i had one of these vans but i am thinking the filter housing only has one intake from tank and one exit to pump. If so then no metal shaving will be from pump. Has it got a return pipe? if so it must be direct to tank. Could you be having a pressure issue? Air getting in and the fuel is just returning to the tank making it hard to start and run till pressure builds up.

There is an inlet to the back of the fuel filter housing lid for the leak off pipes, which doesn't involve a return to the tank.

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#5 2018-10-22 15:53:35

Casper

kenbw2 wrote:

This does sound quite similar to when my fuel pump gave up the ghost. It would fail to start, then run, then randomly cut out while driving. I also once saw a video that said exactly what you said about the metal in the filter housing = pump on its way out.

Casper wrote:

There is an inlet to the back of the fuel filter housing lid for the leak off pipes, which doesn't involve a return to the tank.

I stand corrected there you go. TBH i only changed the filter once and not having issues i had no need to investigate the fuel system. It the pump a big expensive job on these things. My present van its coded into the ECU as part of the immobiliser what makes it an expensive job if it was to go sad

#6 2018-10-22 16:29:41

kenbw2
Administrator

When mine died on the Synergie (XUD9) it wasn't devastating. New pump was about £80. Fitting was fairly involved as you have to destroy the immobiliser in the pump itself, and obviously it's on the timing belt. No ECU in that one, but I assume the DW8B has the immobiliser in the pump rather than the ECU.

#7 2018-10-22 16:31:06

kenbw2
Administrator

beelucky52, if you need to test it, you can check for air leaks by looking for bubbles in the pipe before the pump.

If there are no bubbles, loosen one of the injectors and see if fuel is coming out.

#8 2018-10-22 20:35:35

Casper

80 quid for a pump, I wish. If mine goes the van is written off at these prices.   

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Diesel-Fuel- … rk:11:pf:0

Once fitted it needs programmed in. Only way round this is a donor van and change pump, locks, ignition, accelerator pedal and that is electronic also and the ECU. Other option is the older 2.5DI engine swap.

#9 2018-10-22 22:56:11

kenbw2
Administrator

Jesus, I wasn't thinking £80 new. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-TRANSIT … 3213272197

So glad I don't have any ECU faff in mine

#10 2019-12-27 16:45:58

Daveyboi

Hi, iv got this problem on a 1.6 dispatch..please help...
To start it it takes about 2 full turns.. it’s like it’s struggling to get fuel... once started all is well, even if turned off n turn key it starts no problem, longer you leave off longer it will take to turn... mission when I’m at a Petrol station at the first pump lol... any help or ideas on the cause off this please?

#11 2019-12-27 17:47:50

Casper

Different vans but i would be looking for leaks. By that i dont just mean fuel getting out but air getting in. Air will cause poor running and even non running. Could be a small slip in fuel line, fuel return pipes at the injectors or even the filter housing itself.

#12 2019-12-27 18:45:13

Daveyboi

Casper wrote:

Different vans but i would be looking for leaks. By that i dont just mean fuel getting out but air getting in. Air will cause poor running and even non running. Could be a small slip in fuel line, fuel return pipes at the injectors or even the filter housing itself.

Thanks for reply...
What do you mean by different vans?
When you say look for small leaks is there any specific way to do this or is it just a visual check of pipes you saying to do..

#13 2019-12-27 19:37:14

Casper

Daveyboi wrote:
Casper wrote:

Thanks for reply...
What do you mean by different vans?
When you say look for small leaks is there any specific way to do this or is it just a visual check of pipes you saying to do..

You said you had the 1.6. I presume you have the Mk2 where this is the Mk1 section. Unsure if filter housing is the same set up. The seal on the filter cap on the MK1 is a weak spot what allows air in. The fuel return pipe if that falls off will cause starting issues but also you would smell diesel and have puddles in the drive

#14 2019-12-27 23:24:48

Daveyboi

Sorry... I was just looking for fuel problems and come across this post and posted... mines a 62 plate 1.6 90... if that helps... thanks for your advice that you have given.. much appreciated

#15 2019-12-28 05:30:59

vaz2121

Daveyboi wrote:

Sorry... I was just looking for fuel problems and come across this post and posted... mines a 62 plate 1.6 90... if that helps... thanks for your advice that you have given.. much appreciated

Your van will be the HDI (Common Rail) Diesel.........
Which is a little bit more involved..........
(These require unearthly rail pressure before the ECU will allow the injector to even fire and if It/they don't hold/meet line pressure........ No Go)

Because of so many sensors reporting back to the ECU it could Be 103 things..........  (A Diesel needs 3 things to run .... add a computer it then has 100 reasons not too)
Ranging from Simple leak as been Suggested to a faulty pressure sensor or dodgy wiring........

Best bet for you to start with is a (good) OBD Diagnostic and go from there..............

If it's a faulty sensor it'll show up ..........
If a simple air leak it won't...........

Sorry not what you want to hear.......

#16 2020-03-19 15:11:12

unter
Website

So sorry to hear your vehicle has a ECU, my condolences.

monkey vano

Board footer